All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What does SOY do to you?
      #297265 - 01/19/07 08:14 AM
Dave K

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Brooklin, ON

I'm a little confused and frustrated at the same time. As a kid I was allergic to dairy and grew up on soy milk - before it was popular. Then I apparently grew out of the allergy. Now with IBS I'm back off dairy but I have a funny feeling SOY milk (I drink SOGOOD vanilla)is giving me cramps and bloating.

Could I be right? I used to start my day with a big bowl of Corn Pops and SOY milk, and although the D wasn't that bad, the cramps and bloating made up for it.

My questions is... Do any of you have the same problems with SOY Milk?

--------------------
Dave IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What does SOY do to you? new
      #297267 - 01/19/07 08:18 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi, I think you'll find a lot of us do.... for me I figured that I always felt so bloated after having soy products.... I switched to rice milk. why not give that a go it's nice

#297272 - 01/19/07 08:25 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Yes, soy makes some people crampy and bloated.

How about rice milk or almond milk? Have you tried them?

#297275 - 01/19/07 09:28 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I am giving soy a break for a while to see if it helps with alleviating the cramps and bloating - I am using Rice Dream and making my own almond milk - I don't like alot of added sugars and the ones where I live have that. Debbie IBS-C

#297283 - 01/19/07 10:00 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Unfortunately soy does not work for me either- in any form. It causes bloating and gas in me. I use rice milk and it is wonderful, even in taste. This is coming from someone who used to love regular milk but had to give it up when my IBS was at it's worst. Now, I have no desire to go back because the rice milk is so good.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#297287 - 01/19/07 10:10 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I haven't had a problem with soy milk, although I don't drink it as often as I used to. I do, however, have a bigger problem with Corn Pops and most corn-based cereals - especially when it comes to bloating and gas. I'm not sure why, but I avoid it now. Currently, I stick to rice-based cereals, like Rice Chex.

If you haven't had soy milk in a while, it may take a couple of weeks to get used to it. Rice milk is another good alternative, as else someone recommended.

When you say "big bowl" what do you mean? Eating a lot at one sitting can also cause gas and bloating.

#297298 - 01/19/07 10:42 AM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

For those of you who have problems with soy milk, do you also have problems with products like soy sauce?

#297308 - 01/19/07 11:55 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Yep, me too, if I just drink it. If I cook or bake with it I have no problem. I make my rice pudding with it and it seems okay even though I pour more milk on top. I had a glass of soy nog last night and it nearly did me in. I like Blue Diamond Almond milk much better anyways!

Best of luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#297310 - 01/19/07 12:07 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I can have small amounts of cooked soy, ie 1tlb of soy sauce in a main dish, but can not drink a cup of soy milk. My youngest son has multipe allergies and drinks rice and almond milk. The smell of those are both so bad that I can't get past it to taste them. The smell of vanilla almond milk causes me to gag.

#297317 - 01/19/07 12:56 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I hate vanilla dairy alternatives too (gagging kind of hate).

Have oyu tried Pacific Foods Almond milk? They add almond essence and it makes for a much tastier (and smelling better) product. I don't like Blue Diamond's Almond milk for the smell and taste too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review