All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For past and present Zelnorm users
      #296972 - 01/17/07 10:03 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How long did this drug work for you? If it worked at all?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For past and present Zelnorm users new
      #297088 - 01/18/07 05:36 AM
cloudidays

Reged: 12/10/06
Loc: Chicago,ILL

I took it for about 2.5 months on and off. Before I started taking it I had alot of gas, constipation, and that awful feeling of I'm not done going yet. Every time I started taking it I would get headaches and D. At first I though it wasn't working but after a couple weeks I noticed more frequent stools and didn't strain as much. I believe my doctor told me to take it for 3 weeks and stop for one and so on until I noticed a more stable stool pattern. I have to add though that while doing this I also followed Heather's diet and adding acacia to my diet. I do the tea's all the time peppermint was too much for me, but chamomile, fennel, and an organic ginger tea I found actually worked really well for me. Zelnorm only helped with the stools not the gas and bloating or the pain. The teas helped with the pain. The gas and bloating I'm still working on I have to see what foods sit well with me and which don't but I still have my attacks. So its not a cure all, its a little push to help with one of the many symptoms we IBS'ers get.

#297098 - 01/18/07 07:10 AM
Jordy

I don't experience D or headaches....just doesn't seem to be doing much.

Do you still take it?

--------------------

#297238 - 01/19/07 03:36 AM
cloudidays

NO I have more normal bowel movements. I dont strain as much or have that feeling like I haven't emptied out. But if I cheat on heathers diet then I have problems but I haven't been able to get rid of the pain and the gas and bloating and gas gas gas gas. And now I have alot of joint and back pain. I only had D the first day and Headaches the frist week or so. I also felt like it wasnt working, but after the third cycle I noticed that I was feeling better as far as my stool goes. I think when you try something you should try something for a while and make notes of how you feel. unless it's making you feel really bad then stick with it for a while and see how it works. I know we all want a quick fix and the ability to go back to our life, but it doesn't work like that. I made my peace with it a couple months ago. I actually stopped working to try to sort all of this out.

#297300 - 01/19/07 10:44 AM
Jordy

Quote:

NO I have more normal bowel movements. I dont strain as much or have that feeling like I haven't emptied out.

If you don't take Zelnorm anymore, how are you able to go so much better than pre-Zelnorm? Are you taking anything different or something?

Thanks!

--------------------

#297304 - 01/19/07 11:27 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I took this drug, but it did absolutely nothing for me. No pharmacutical drug has every helped me (and I've tried a lot!).

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#297481 - 01/21/07 05:53 AM
cloudidays

Well my doctor explained it this way. He actually gave me refills for one year. He knows I come on this web site and he actually said everything sounded pretty good and that I should adjust my diet accordingly. Now I think we can all agree that Heather's diet is a big help as far trying to show us how to take care of ourselves in eating the right foods to help us evacuate. Having said that he told me that Zelnorm would tell my body to have more normal contractions in the colon. He also said that after a year of training your body to do its job right, at some point it has to start doing it on its own. I guess it's like going through therapy if you have an accident and can't walk for a while and after you go through therapy you should be able to walk pretty normal again. Now i'm not saying I will not have to take it again, but for now I have been able to have normal bowel movements without it as long as I watch what type of foods I eat and my SF and IF. I hope this helps.

So... new
      #297493 - 01/21/07 08:17 AM
Jordy

What helped you, if no meds? A SFS?

--------------------

#297728 - 01/23/07 10:28 AM
Tummy_Ache

Reged: 01/23/07

I started taking Zelnorm in May of last year. Had a few headaches but that didn't last but a couple of days. I am IBS-C (serious C!) and the Zelnorm definitely made me go to the bathroom but very loose BM. After about 4 months it stopped working, went back to the DR and he said I need to do an on/off series. Try 3 weeks on and 1 week off....he said I need to find what works for me. For the month of December I stopped taking it completely, just to make sure and get it out of my system and started taking Magnesium at night...that helped for a couple of weeks and then stopped. I started w/Zelnorm again and I will see how it goes with 3 weeks on and 1 week off!

Re: So... new
      #297757 - 01/23/07 02:38 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Actually I go to a chiropractor/acupuncturist, who is also a herbalist. He gives me whole food supplements, like Garlic pills (for C), licorice root (for pain), Catalyn (a multivitamin), Betaine Hydrochloride (for stomach acid), Fen-Cho (for C), Pituitrophen PMG (for my Pituitary Gland), and a probiotic. I know...it's a lot. All of my vitamins are from Standard Process and they are all whole food supplements. They have worked wonders!
I'm also on a low-carb diet (no flour/sugar, but I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables). This diet is great for C, because of the fat and the fiber.
Sorry about rambling on! I hope this helps somewhat!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

How did you find this health care person? new
      #297863 - 01/24/07 08:46 AM
Jordy

How did you find a reputable one? And are the supplements expensive? You don't use any SFS or meds? Do you get your probiotic from this accupuncturist also or from the company?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6653 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review