All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Vegan and what is Bio-K?
      #296845 - 01/16/07 12:56 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I have gone vegan and feel really good. I am very interested in the Bio-K stuff. I am IBS-D and my bathroom issues have cut in half since becoming Vegan but, I have really BAD gas now. I ALWAYS eat rice or potatoes with every dinner and Breads with all my lunches. Breakfast is oatmeal or cereal with rice milk. Soy was to rough all the time. Where do you get this Bio-K stuff and how long are you suppose to take it?

--------------------
KELLY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegan and what is Bio-K? new
      #296869 - 01/16/07 03:33 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Bio-K is a probiotic. You can find it in your health food store, or grocery store. probiotics can be taken for years, probably forever without any side effects. Probiotics is healthy bacteria for your gut.

#296885 - 01/16/07 04:40 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

What are you using for your protein if you are vegan. I am vegan too but am finding it hard to get protein as soy is hard on my system and beans make me nervous - I bought some beano but am still nervous to try it. Debbie IBS-C

#296917 - 01/16/07 09:16 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the bio-k is in a soy yogurt form, so if you can't do small amounts of soy, then go for a non-dairy capsule kind of probiotic.
I have been vegan for 2 years now and only now that i eat lots of beans (squashed and pureed in sauces and toppings), seed and nut butters and some tofu and seitan do i get enough protein. I eat more beans and grains than any other protein source and i am healthy, its doable.

Do you eat beans every day? Every meal? new
      #296994 - 01/17/07 10:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What kinds do you like? Do you eat them in canned soups or any particular fav. recipes? I have tried canned baked beans and those were so good. Is is better to use the dry beans and make them yourself vs using canned? Maybe if we soaked them that way, they would be less gas producing.

Thanks Miso

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#297028 - 01/17/07 02:39 PM
Kelly5

Soy is hard on me to. I do use it when I bake but I usually drink rice milk. I work at a gym and I drink Pure Protien shakes (Dairy Free). I have been trying to add beans into my diet slowly and carefully! Scares me too! I have found an organic peanut butter that doesn't bother me and I eat it with bananas alot!

--------------------
KELLY

#297030 - 01/17/07 02:41 PM
Kelly5

Has everyone been having good results with the Bio-K? My probiotic took a couple weeks to kick in and I feel o.k. but not like everyone else sounds on this stuff.

--------------------
KELLY

#297033 - 01/17/07 02:43 PM
Kelly5

Do you feel that turning Vegan has helped your IBS? Do you eat salads? I am still new with it and trying things.

--------------------
KELLY

#297061 - 01/17/07 06:21 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The only other probiotic I had tried prior to the BIO-K+ soy yogurt was a BIO-K non-refrigerated capsule. It didn't do anything for me. Once I found that the soy yogurt worked, I decided to stick with it. If you find another probiotic that is helpful then might as well stick with that one (especially if it's a capsule, much easier to take).

For me, BIO-K is a Canadian product and compares in price to many of the other probiotics in my HFS, so I don't have too much reason to try another type.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Do you eat beans every day? Every meal? new
      #297092 - 01/18/07 07:00 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I do feel that vegan has helped my stomach and energy, i am also just about all whole foods, i don't eat packaged stuff almost at all. I don't really eat salads, that seems to be too much lettuces for me. I am good with spinach and arugula, but romain etc is harder on me. The baby greens in general seem to be not bad, just not the 10 herb mix, also too much. I don't eat any white flour, personal choice as the whole grains give me lots of protein, i slice of sprouted wheat bread has 5 grams of protein. if you have any other diet questions feel free to ask.
As for beans, i eat them alot, i used canned organic and rinse them very well, the more bean juice you get off of them the less gas producing, apparently if you make them at home they are even less gas producing. I eat them thrown into pasta dishes, in rice dishes, as hummus or other bean dips, as burritos, i generally squish them up a bit, chew really well and i always take my digestive enzymes and i don't find them to be anymore gas producing than any other food.
oh i also make veggie bean burgers from scratch.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review