All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
avacado - certain kind? tell when ripe?
      #296605 - 01/15/07 08:37 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello,

Does anyone have a preferene for a certain type of avacado. There are Haas and I wondered if one was tastier than another? Also, how do you tell if it is ripe to eat? Thanks -Debbie IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: avacado - certain kind? tell when ripe? new
      #296609 - 01/15/07 09:00 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I always find the darker green avacados more ripe.

#296771 - 01/16/07 07:58 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

My grocery stores only carry one kind, the Haas, I believe.

You want to look for one green in color, with a little bit of 'give' when you gently press it.

However, for the past five months or so, every avocado I've bought has been crap. They look/feel great on the outside, but have dark spots when cut open. Don't know what's going on.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE avocados and eat it with some white rice, cayenne pepper and salt.

Or I'll much up 1/2 fruit and eat with Baked Tostitos.

--------------------
~jules

#296793 - 01/16/07 09:51 AM
feelinggood

Thanks - I do hope that the avacados at the grocery store start to get better for you. Have you tried buying organic ones? D
Debbie IBS-C

#296840 - 01/16/07 12:29 PM
jules

Me too! I'm missing the days when I can cut into an avocado without worry.

I've found that the organic ones are worse, surprisingly.

Maybe they're not in season?

--------------------
~jules

Re: avacado - Jules - when you use 1/2 what about ther 1/2? new
      #296841 - 01/16/07 12:35 PM
feelinggood

Jules, WHat do you dowith the other 1/2 of the avacado? THanks.

#296849 - 01/16/07 01:14 PM
jules

I 'sprinkle' it with lemon juice and put it in a ziploc. That prevents it from browning and I eat it the next day.

--------------------
~jules

#296886 - 01/16/07 04:42 PM
feelinggood

Ahhh, thanks. Oh, I made a tasty avacado dish at lunch. I mixed avacado in with my pasta (just brown rice pasta) and sprinkled some ground flax on it. Maybe could of used some spices but I just ate it like that. Tasty. Debbie IBS-C

Re: avacado - Jules new
      #296887 - 01/16/07 04:43 PM
feelinggood

Just wondered if you are IBS-D or IBS-C?

#296965 - 01/17/07 09:52 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

... They look/feel great on the outside, but have dark spots when cut open. Don't know what's going on. ...

Are the spots near the skin, or deeper down in the flesh itself?

In my grocery store, they sometimes have "lower fat" avocados from Florida, but I haven't tried one yet. They are a lot bigger than the Hass variety.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

A whole 1/2? new
      #296967 - 01/17/07 09:54 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I was afraid 1/4 was too much fat.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

ripe avocado new
      #297109 - 01/18/07 07:23 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you want them to given slightlywhen you press on them, but no squish and they will be dark in colour on the outside. i eat them even if there are some dark spots inside. I eat a half at a time and often mix with a tad of salsa for instant quacamole

#297126 - 01/18/07 09:35 AM
jules

I thought I was IBS C, but now I think I'm just IBS with bloating and pain. I do have regular BMs, but I never evacuate completely.

The dark spots are basically all over the flesh, but if I had to pick, it would be near the skin and not the pit.

--------------------
~jules

#297169 - 01/18/07 03:00 PM
feelinggood

What are typical meals that you eat. Are you already stablized? Debbie IBS-C

#297174 - 01/18/07 03:18 PM
jules

I don't follow the EFI Diet. I'm not stabilized, and have not been since being diagnosed in 2004, after two years of symptoms. I did have about a seven month reprieve from my symptoms after the birth of my son, but that's about it. I also had success on Celexa. Within days of taking my first dose, I was symptom-free. I had to stop taking it when I became pregnant with my second. I have six weeks left to go and am hoping to get back on Celexa.

I eat whatever. I find that when I try to structure it, it stresses me out more, and I don't find enough improvement for it to be worth it.

I have found that Metamucil has allowed me to have regular BMs, along with Fiber One and Post's Frosted Mini Wheats cereals.

As I said, I'm pregnant and I'm giving in to a LOT of cravings. Six more weeks to my due date!

If you want my meals still, let me know. But they are by no means EFI diet-friendly.

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (01/18/07 03:18 PM)

#297202 - 01/18/07 04:49 PM
feelinggood

Thank you for your help. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I can relate to how you describe being stressed with regards to planning the meals. I actually have a bottle of celexa that I am supposed to have started in August in my cupboard - very nervous to start out trying it. It is encouraging to know that you had good results with it - symptom free and eating what you like (healthy choices of course) that is a complete dream! Did you have any adjustment when taking the celexa - tiredness in beginning, etc.
Thanks, Debbie

#297244 - 01/19/07 05:47 AM
jules

I didn't recall any side effects with the Celexa. But I don't really experience many side effects with drugs. I'm actually jealous that you have a bottle there waiting for you. :0) Give it a go...

It's odd, but I tend to make healthier food choices when my stomach is feeling well. When I'm feeling bad, I'll go for the comfort food a lot more quickly. At the time I figure that I'm going to feel crappy anyway, might as well go for something deliciously wicked for me.

I also want to say that I was diagnosed with OCD after taking the Celexa, so the Celexa may have been addressing my OCD, therefore reducing my IBS...But my docs don't know for sure.

--------------------
~jules

#297281 - 01/19/07 09:53 AM
feelinggood

Hi, iT is actually cipralex in my cupboard (the new version of celexa). Wow - are you ever fortunate to not have side effects from mediciation.
OCD - yes, I battle borderline with that. How does yours play itself out? Do the meds help take it away? Do you take the meds for anxiety or straight IBS? I agree, if my tummy feels good I made better choices from the viewpoint that I limit my beans, fruits, veggies with my upset tummy. If I fetlt well I would love all of them!
debbie IBS

#297288 - 01/19/07 10:12 AM
jules

I tend to have more obsessive thoughts rather than compulsive behaviors. OCD is an anxiety disorder, so I guess it makes sense that the drugs would help. I'm not taking anything right now because I was diagnosed with OCD mid-pregnancy. It wasn't worth it to me or my doc to start messing with drugs.

My GI prescribed the Celexa, not sure what the psychologist will put me on. I switched from Celexa to Wellbutrin when I got pg, but that did nothing for me so I stopped taking it.

Right now, I'm eating high fiber (FiberOne cereal). I'm getting in about 30 grams of fiber from food alone. Every once and a while I'll take a prescribed Dulcolax to get things moving.

But, I primarily suffer from severe abdominal distention/bloating, and pain. Doesn't help that the baby is very strong and is kicking my very tender intestines constantly.

--------------------
~jules

#297294 - 01/19/07 10:35 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How long did you give the EFI diet before giving up on it? Weren't you afraid to eat the Fiber One cereal? You think it helps you? It is probably causing your bloat or pain, though. Or did you have that anyhow?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#297326 - 01/19/07 02:46 PM
jules

I get bloat/pain from plain room temperature water, so that's why I eat anything. There's no point for me to try and figure out what's causing my issues, because it seems like everything does! I'm also partially in denial that I actually have IBS. Even though I've had all the tests to rule out anything else.

I tried the EFI diet for a couple of months. I also tried Heather's acacia for three months. It didn't make me feel worse, but it didn't make me feel better either.

I actually have had really good BMs since starting the FiberOne cereal. I'm trying to get most of my fiber from foods rather than supplements these days. See if that does anything for me.

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (01/19/07 02:46 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review