All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Rice milk constipates? (To Feelinggood) new
      #296480 - 01/14/07 08:22 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Jenifer, please read the last post I wrote in reply to feelinggood. I hope that helps you guys, and please let me know if something is still confusing.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#296482 - 01/14/07 08:23 AM
Jeio

Why do you think it can't be heated up? I have drank oat milk heated up without problems... other than the terrible taste, lol

#296483 - 01/14/07 08:26 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

Why do you think it can't be heated up? I have drank oat milk heated up without problems... other than the terrible taste, lol

Oh really? I don't know where I got that from then! It said something on the box about the milk separating if it gets heated...? Can soy milk be heated too then?? *hope, hope*

Re: soymilk heated new
      #296484 - 01/14/07 08:31 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Soymilk can be heated with no problem - I have made numerous cooked pudding with it as well as sauces. Debbie IBS

#296485 - 01/14/07 08:38 AM
Jennifer86

Oh, ok, well that makes things easier! I think my mind is so filled with duff info that I must just make up!

So, if I am going to stop using cow's milk in my hot drinks and porridge, what would you recommend to use? I have soy milk, oat milk and rice milk as my options at the moment...although still concerned on the rice milk constipation thing (sorry to mention it again!!)

Re: Thank you Jeio new
      #296486 - 01/14/07 08:44 AM
feelinggood

Thank you Jeio - good point re: oatmeal 50/50. That gives me a good base point to start from. Now just to figure out soymilk tolerance and HF fruit tolerance. I also have difficulty getting enough protein as I am vegetarian so no fish or chicken. I may have to add fish in but first I am going to try chickpeas and some beans? The problem is that fish or chicken just simply turn my stomach and I cannot even force myself to eat them. Thank you for your patience and help. Debbie IBS

#296488 - 01/14/07 08:58 AM
feelinggood

Personally I would alternate with all of them - as long as you can tolerate each one. Soymilk does do a nice job with hot choc. and it is nice and creamy for porridge but I tend to think on the rotation basis - I alternate rice and soy but like I mentioned I am eliminating soy to see if it stops the bloat-Debbie IBS

#296489 - 01/14/07 09:10 AM
Jennifer86

Yes, I'll alternate and see which suits me best. Thank you for your suggestion.

And thank you to Jeio aswell for all the information you posted above. It's become my new years resolution to finally learn to understand my IBS as I am so sick of being down and anxious about it. So I am very grateful for all the help you are giving me along the way.

#296537 - 01/14/07 03:43 PM
Jeio

About the milks... I was a dairy junkie before I got IBS. I eat much less dairy right now (after I first went through a phase where I completely avoided all dairy products including rice/soy cheese and things with minute traces of dairy, but went stable, tried dairy and found what I can tolerate). So, it was super hard to switch to a dairy alternative initially. Expect this. Those milk substitutes just don't taste like milk at all. I think rice milk is the most similar, almond milk is the least bad tasting...

I found having oatmeal with water was a much tastier and better alternative than spending tons of money on dairy substitutes that don't taste like milk.

So, consider using water for awhile. If you don't like a dairy alternative, don't despair, there are others out there, and most of them dont taste good to the dairy junkie...

But do avoid dairy for awhile, no matter how hard it is and how much worse it tastes, it is so worth it to religeously stick to Heather's diet. Life is not all about food and being healthy and pain free is more important than having your morning oatmeal with dairy milk for awhile (that's my case, convert it to porridge and whatever else you eat with milk).

P.S. Forgot to say: if you are going to take Natural Calm or Mag Citrate or some other laxative, rice milk shouldn't be so much of an issue. If you are not considering taking those, however, I wouldn't drink rice milk.

Edited by Jeio (01/14/07 03:46 PM)

#296538 - 01/14/07 03:53 PM
Jeio

I think K2 was taking a probiotic called Bio K+ (do a search on the board with "probiotic" or "Bio K") and was praising it alot. She also said it was expensive, but she liked it/the effects of it/ very much.

I haven't personally tried probiotics or kefir, so can't speak from personal experience.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1040 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25819

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review