All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: sweet potato...Rice milk constipates? SF constipates? new
      #296412 - 01/13/07 05:13 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I amnot saying SF is constipating, but I am saying starch is.

Rice and potatoes are NOT purely SF. They contain SF, but they are not purely SF. Heather sais SF does not actually contain calories, but we know that rice and potatoes do, so where do the calories come from? From the starch.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sweet potato...Rice milk constipates? SF constipates? new
      #296414 - 01/13/07 05:19 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I know rice and potatoes are not purely SF. I'm not going to bother responding to this thread anymore. People want advice, you give correct advice, now it's up to them if they want to follow it or not. If they think sweet potatoes are constipating then that's their opinion, but they might be missing out on something that can really help them out in their situation.

Re: Rice milk constipates? (To Gracie) new
      #296442 - 01/14/07 01:46 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

I'm so sorry everyone, I feel like I caused all this confusion when I asked about the rice milk. It's just that I'm at the point where I'm still trying to learn what's best for me and I am finding all the information very hard to take in and understand. The last thing I want is to cause any arguments here. I know a lot of you have figured out what you can and can't eat and it might be frustrating for new ones like me who ask 'dumb' questions, but I think I can say on behalf of us all that we REALLY appreciate all your advice and support. Please don't give up on us!

Re: Rice milk constipates? (To Gracie) new
      #296448 - 01/14/07 05:47 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I also say thank you to everyone - I am so confused at this point as to what I can eat that it gives me anxiety - I have no idea what is doing what - thank you for answering posts. Debbie IBS-C My main symptom is trapped bloating - never give off gas just feels like it is there.

boy oh boy...sorry about the sweet potato question! new
      #296457 - 01/14/07 07:28 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Sorry all. I didn't mean to contradict or question the SF/IF thing. I've read all Heather's stuff and I thought I had the whole concept down. I was just wondering about the sweet potato being suggested as helpful to help move things along when I was thinking of it as SF. This is also b/c of my own personal experience with sweet potatoes in the past as I had mentioned. I like the explanation of how if you only eat SF, the gel will swell and you drink water and eventually it will come out but the IF will help it come out sooner. I think this is happening to me lately. I keep feeling like I have to go and then I'm having multiple BMs (and I did just increase my Acacia). So maybe if I eat more IF at the get-go, I'll have a quicker more complete bm and won't have that lingering feeling. Oh..trial and error for all of us!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Rice milk constipates? (To Feelinggood) new
      #296468 - 01/14/07 07:50 AM
Jennifer86

Quote:

I also say thank you to everyone - I am so confused at this point as to what I can eat that it gives me anxiety - I have no idea what is doing what - thank you for answering posts. Debbie IBS-C My main symptom is trapped bloating - never give off gas just feels like it is there.

I have exactly the same symptoms! Plus the anxiety! The bloating I find just so upsetting, and I still don't know what's causing it. Feelinggood, do you drink cow's milk? As I said earlier in this thread, I was planning on switching to rice milk instead of cow's milk to see if that helped my C and bloating, but when this thing about rice milk causeing constipation came up, I was just so confused. I didn't realise a drink could make you constipated!! Eeek!

#296472 - 01/14/07 08:03 AM
feelinggood

Hello, I have not had dairy for at least 8 years. I do drink rice milk and soy milk (although I have eliminated soy over the last two days along with HFructose fruits) I will post what my results with it are. I am very confused about my diet. Debbie IBS

#296473 - 01/14/07 08:04 AM
feelinggood

I also think that I need to add in some live bacteria - I used to eat fermented keifer from soymilk for years and it helped my C very much. I just cannot seem to find it anymore and not sure how to make it. My next option is soy yogurt but it has added sugar and like I say I am trying to eliminate soy and see what the result is. Debbie

#296478 - 01/14/07 08:20 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

It is normal to be confused. It almost seems like NOTHING is a safe food at a point. And feels like that too...

The thing is, all foods pass through our digestive system. Thus they may all be potentially harmful. However, knowing WHAT they are good for and what they might harm is crucial to managing your symptoms.

So...

- Fat is a no-no. It hurts too much.
- IF without enough SF is a no-no (whole wheat bread, bran, raw vegetables such as lettuce, peel from fruit)

- SF is good for us. Not only does it help the food pass through the colon less problematically, not only does it reduce the cramping and pain, but it also allows you to eat some IF.
- IF is the primary thing that makes you go. That is why it is so dangerous in large quantities (or without SF or both), because it causes the bowel to contract and that hurts. It also causes bloating and gas, I have read, but I am not certain whether this effect is just temporary (until your body gets used to the new amt of IF or not). However, causing the bowel to contract and having a sool softened and bulked up by SF in it doesn't hurt (well, depends on the quantities of SF and IF, but if you figure out your ratio, it won't hurt) AND it makes sure you are not constipated.

That is what you are aiming at.

Eat the foods that are easiest on your tummy, so that you are pain free. To be bloating/gass/constipation free, you need to get IF. To get IF, you need SF. To figure out in what proportion, trial and error.

Fat is dangerous. Starch constipates a little, but since you are not left with much, you have to eat it. If you take SF and IF with the starch, you'll be fine in terms of constipation.

To give you an idea on how to figure out your SF:IF ratio, you might already know a lot. Do you eat oatmeal in the morning? Oatmeal has a 50:50 ratio. If you are fine with oatmeal, then 50:50 is OK for you, which, I think is pretty good. I am OK with oatmeal in the morning and I am a C. What you can tolerate on an empty stomach is usually the best way to tell, because food you eat later in the day is affected by the food you ate in the morning.

Other than that, to relieve that anxiety, get Natural Calm or mag citrate. I had a lot of anxiety before, like not going for weeks was really getting at me (I thought, oh, no, now I won't be able to go even if my body wants to). But taking a laxative takes care of it. Mag citrate is super mild and natural and it does not hurt you at all (it is actually very good for you) like most of those prescription things do. I didn't know about that so I had to take Miralax. Use the knowledge you have, use the good stuff. And don't fear you will have to take it forever and ever -- I don't need it any more. My system just needed a break so it could stabilize.

Let me know if you are still confused. I have to go now, but will try to be here in the evening.

#296479 - 01/14/07 08:21 AM
Jennifer86

There doesn't seem to be much choice for dairy alternatives where I live (not sure if that's true for the whole of the UK). I went out and bought some oat milk today so I might try that...but again I think it can't be heated up so I can't use it to make my hot chocolate or my porridge (my two most favourite things!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review