All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
veggies
      #295706 - 01/09/07 07:55 AM
fee

Reged: 01/09/07

I'm sticking to heather's diet but feel I'm missing out on veggies especially broccolli and cabbage (superfoods!).
How can you get recommended daily servings of veggies on the diet?
Should I throw caution to the wind, eat the above and blow the roof off?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: veggies new
      #295714 - 01/09/07 08:27 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Personally, I will never try cabbage again -- I don't like it enough to put up with the "issues" it causes!

BUT -- I LOVE broccoli. I reintroduced it about 2 months into the diet when I was feeling pretty stable. The first time, I had Beano with it and made sure it was cooked pretty well. I still make sure it's cooked pretty well (boiled, not steamed) and don't have trouble with it.

So I guess I'd say try one thing at a time with a meal that you know is "safe" for you.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#295715 - 01/09/07 08:52 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It took me over a year before I reintroduced my beloved brocolli. However, I have almost always tolerated mushrooms, carrots and green beans.

#295737 - 01/09/07 10:42 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

As long as I have them with a good helping of SF, I haven't had problems with most veggies, even garlic and onions. The only exceptions seem to be cabbage and more than a spoonful of corn.
Remember to eat at least a forkful or two of the SF component of your meal before starting in on the veggies.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#295739 - 01/09/07 10:45 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am eating broccoli as I type this. I don't eat cabbage. Anyway try cooking broccoli well and then eat it in something soluble fiber and try it for breakfast then lunch because the gut seems better earlier. Try to put veggies in an egg beater omelet for breakfast. It is good with spinach and mushrooms.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#295753 - 01/09/07 12:50 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I've been on Heather's Diet for almost two weeks now (not very long I know) and I absolutely LOVE broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage,, I've found that if I saute the cauliflower and/or broccoli along with some carrots in a bit of IBS-friendly oil ( I use Canola) and eat it with rice and chicken it makes a delicious meal and I don't have any problems. Also what I do, to get rid of some of the oil, even if its somewhat safe, is to put the cooked veggies on a paper plate or paper towel before eating it, it drains a lot of the oil out. And, this is a bit off topic, but because Flax Seed Oil is good, and I personally am not able to swallow the caps, I buy the oil itself from my local HFS, and drizzle some over my rice and veggies after its cooked and on my plate. Also putting it in smoothies is really good, changes the flavor a bit, but not too much that its really noticable. Hope this helps! And sorry if I rambled too much, I have a habit of doing that

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#295761 - 01/09/07 01:21 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I eat veggies just once a day at dinnertime. I only eat organic veggies because they have higher content of vitamins as compared to conventional veggies which basically have no vitamin content at all. Given how limited I am in tolerating veggies, at the very least I want to make sure the ones I have are nutritious. Also organic veggies have no pesticides, which makes them less likely to aggravate your IBS.

I sneak in a few IBS-dangerous veggies like brocolli by restricting the amount to just one teaspoonful.

I make sure I eat the veggies with protein and lots of a soluble fibre stable ... usually white rice or potatoes.

This method seems to work best for me.

#295794 - 01/09/07 03:51 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Heather's diet does not restrict vegetables, here are some on the cheat sheet http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathersibscheatsheet.pdf but you do have to be careful how you eat them.

#295820 - 01/09/07 05:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, you can definitely get enough veggies in this diet. The diet actually helps me get more veggies - it's just a matter of how to eat them (in moderation, chopped, cooked, with a soluble fiber base like potatoes, pasta, or rice). I eat broccoli almost every other day, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, zucchini, potatoes, corn, mushrooms, spinach... I haven't tried cabbage, which I love, because it does make me really gassy.

Re: Belinda new
      #295821 - 01/09/07 05:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I like your style of eating. My way is similar. I get most of my vegetables at dinner time. Breakfast is usually all SF with maybe some fruit thrown in. Lunch is usually legumes w/ SF base of bread, tortillas, or rice. And then several snacks throughout the day, which is usually a Luna Bar. (I know not everyone can tolerate these, but I do okay. I noticed they lowered the sugar, increased the SF, and now 70% of the ingredients are organic. This is the best way for me to get extra vitamins too since I've had no luck with any of the vitamin pills.)

When I can, I try to get locally grown, organic chicken, vegetables, and fruits because I think they taste a lot better. But I seem to do okay even if I don't.

#295864 - 01/10/07 06:54 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

conventional veggies which basically have no vitamin content at all

Is this true? Veggies that are not organic have no vitamins? This doesn't make sense to me....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#295870 - 01/10/07 07:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It doesn't make sense because it is wrong.

Over the years many tests have been done on conventional and organic foods. Generally they show that organic crops contained more vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus and less nitrates than conventional crops. Other than the small difference in vitamin C most conventionally grown fruit and vegetables have similar vitamin content to organic vegetables. The biggest difference is price.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thanks, Syl! new
      #295873 - 01/10/07 07:42 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure....didn't want to be eating non-organic veggies if I wasn't getting ANY value out of them

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#295877 - 01/10/07 08:20 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I haven't read all the replies, but I eat broccoli in the form of soup. Basically, it's a broccoli and sauteed shallots puree thined out with some unflavored soy milk. Once the broccoli is purred, it's very tolerable for me.

Re: veggies - thanks for the replies! new
      #296477 - 01/14/07 08:18 AM
fee

Reged: 01/09/07

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my query. V helpful ideas!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review