All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Still don't get it Heather. Can I eat rolled oats cereal for Breakfast? Other questions too.
      #295693 - 01/09/07 05:45 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

On an empty stomach, cereal is usually the breakfast I eat. I have been stable since the beginning of December and for the holidays, I really cheated. I was more daring and added triggers like dairy and beef to my diet. No reaction. I was also on Regimint, a peppermint/caraway oil capsule. I ran out of them and last night I was a little bloaty. My intestines were doing a song and a dance inside (just a little.) This is how my body is. I will be great for a month, maybe two and then I get "D" on and off for a while and I become totally insecure. My lower half feels like it is always there ready to trikle out but it doesnt. Its the sensation. I need to be near a bathroom always. I cant pinpoint if its the capsules working with the diet or not. I have been trying the diet since I discovered this website which is great by the way. Could it be that my insides got relaxed and calmed so it can tolerate more IFs and triggers a little at a time? What do you suggest I do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Other questions too new
      #295754 - 01/09/07 12:58 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Quote:

On an empty stomach, cereal is usually the breakfast I eat. I have been stable since the beginning of December and for the holidays, I really cheated. I was more daring and added triggers like dairy and beef to my diet. No reaction. I was also on Regimint, a peppermint/caraway oil capsule. I ran out of them and last night I was a little bloaty. My intestines were doing a song and a dance inside (just a little.) This is how my body is. I will be great for a month, maybe two and then I get "D" on and off for a while and I become totally insecure. My lower half feels like it is always there ready to trikle out but it doesnt. Its the sensation. I need to be near a bathroom always. I cant pinpoint if its the capsules working with the diet or not. I have been trying the diet since I discovered this website which is great by the way. Could it be that my insides got relaxed and calmed so it can tolerate more IFs and triggers a little at a time? What do you suggest I do?

I also have been daring and started having cereal for breakfast again ( I stopped for two weeks but when I started feeling great I just recently started up) using Lactose Free milk (Im lactose intollerant) and I've been fine. But I do suffer from IBS-D and there are many days where if I know I have to go somewhere, I get really sick again, even if I've been fine for however long, and I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom, and if I knoow there won't be an easily accessible bathroom I start freaking out and come close to having an attack. I've been very insecure lately, not being able to leave my house for more than like an hour. If I'm home I am completely fine, but as soon as I start getting ready to leave, I'm back in the bathroom with terrible "D" and end up staying home. What do you all do to start feeling secure again and leave the house without fear of an attack, whether it be spasms or "D"???

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#295765 - 01/09/07 01:29 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

First of all, you have to stick to the diet 100%: No cheating!! That includes lactose-free milk. There's more to the milk than just lactose that triggers IBS attacks. Start with the "break the cycle" diet, and slowly add in more foods. You have to be patient and persistent!!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Still don't get it Heather. Can I eat rolled oats cereal for Breakfast? Other questions too. new
      #295770 - 01/09/07 01:36 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IBS can play games and sometimes you might get away with eating something off the diet and be okay for awhile. But I don't recommend trying to psycho-stomach analyze as to why you might be okay one time and not another.

The only real way to feel good most of the time is to stick to the diet.

I've had IBS for 48 years and I have no desire to ever be sick or in pain. I find sticking to the diet to be the most positive choice for happy living.

No IBS-unsafe food, no matter how appealing, can tempt me off the diet because I know exactly what price I will pay for eating it and frankly it's not worth it.

Oats can be problematic for some IBS people. I believe instant oats would be a safer choice than rolled oats. Personally I can't tolerate oats.

I enjoy a couple slices of white, IBS-safe bread for breakfast topped with some organic Earth Balance buttery spread (no dairy, no additives) and some Beech Nut babyfood fruit sauce like apple/blueberry or Dutch apple. Sometimes I have some natural chicken breast (cooked by me) on my toast and some mashed organic yam.

I find I have to be creative to work around the limitations posed by IBS.

#295787 - 01/09/07 03:34 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

No lactose free milk, it's still an IBS trigger. Have you tried a soluble fibre supplement? It really helps with D.

Re: Other questions too sixkids new
      #295857 - 01/10/07 05:53 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I try to be real calm and say to myself, enjoy life. I have been taking chances and so far so good. My new years resolution is to gain back the weight I lost from starving myself in fear. I am more afraid of outside food (restaurant food.) That is from past experiences....they were bad! I just hate that my lower intestines rumble sometimes and I mean real lower (its just about at my bottom. That gets me nervous. Try to relax though and get out and enjoy.

Re: Other questions too sixkids new
      #295987 - 01/10/07 06:04 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I think it's smart to always be careful of restaurant food. Being a little picky and question-y when the waitperson comes around is far better than getting D later.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

on the topic of milk.... new
      #295993 - 01/10/07 06:25 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Just wondering...if someone is not lactose intolerant, would milk as a trigger more likely cause d within the day or next day or does the whey and casein cause gas/bloating/c instead? Or is it individual? Over the holidays I had some bites of things that were dairy and did not have any d-attacks (which I had pre-Heather) but at the same time, I have been adding in some new IF so the gas/bloating I've had recently is a wonder to me. I know, I know, I should have stayed away...but I have terrible will-power and just had to "sample" a few things. I'm back on track but still a little gassy, now I'm looking at too much soy? too much IF? Anyhow,not complaining or asking anyone to analyze...I know cheating should be out of the question... just curious about what the real milk typically does to our system- d or c or just discomfort?.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: on the topic of milk.... new
      #296022 - 01/10/07 11:00 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I am not lactose intollerant and milk is not a trigger for me. The fat in it is, but just the cassein/whey thing -- not at all. I drink fat free milk all the time (and make food with it) with no consequences.

Personally, I disagree that whole theory with milk being a trigger with the lactose removed/transformed by lactase/.

Re: on the topic of milk.... new
      #296024 - 01/11/07 04:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can handle some dairy if it's not a major ingredient and I am known to use real butter as a treat once in awhile at a restaurant or a bite or two of ice cream. Or eat Domino's Pizza with a Lactaid or two and not regret it the next day. However, I'm pretty stable these days; two years ago I wouldn't have dared.

What something that has a lot of dairy in it will typically do to me is cause gas within two hours of eating it and then pay for it the next morning (if not throughout the day), and painfully so.

Cutting dairy was one of the first things I did after I found the IBS diet, and it made a huge difference right away.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2848

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review