All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Has anyone conquered bloating?
      #295612 - 01/08/07 10:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I removed soy, wheat, dairy, soda, gassy veggies, etc.

I walk everyday.

I eat small meals.

I drink fennel tea and semithicone.

I take a digestive enzyme, peppermint capsules, and I stopped all SFS....but still the bloating is so horrendous it hurts to even wear clothes. I feel like so fat even though I'm not. I look horrid and I can't even stand to look at myself anymore. I can't find clothes that feel okay or look okay.

Can anyone help with some insight and ideas? I'm IBS-C.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone conquered bloating? new
      #295620 - 01/08/07 11:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I found I had to remove digestive enzymes from my diet. They were giving me gas and bloating. I think this maybe due to the fillers used in the tablets/capsules which are primarly IF such as cellulose. Also, I found that I had to remove all herbal preparations from my diet too because they were mainly ground plant material composed mostly of IF. I need a very low IF and very high SF diet.

Are eating low fructose food?

FYI - an interesting thing happened to me during my discovery of triggers and irritants. For many years I thought I was IBS-C. Once I got my diet sorted out in particular the ratio of IF to SF, fat/oils, food additives, lactose and fructose I found I was IBS-D with some C so I call myself IBS-A

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#295632 - 01/08/07 02:06 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Maybe the fennel tea doesn't work for you. It didn't work for me. I would say check out the tea section at your HFS and try something else. Look for something that's geared towards digestion or gas & bloating. Chances are it will contain fennel, but it will also contain other things that might help better.

Which SFS have you tried? I think this is what really did it for me. And have you thought about giving the hypno a shot?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#295647 - 01/08/07 05:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have never conquered bloating long term. I am especially bad all winter. I am better if my clothes are very loose and if I walk around a lot and pass gas as needed. If I could be alone and have access to a bathroom whenever I needed without any time constrictions, I might be bloat free. The fennel tea does help me but has not cured me. I also get bloated if I have to pee and don't or if I don't drink enough. I take a large dose of acacia everyday and I did feel better when off of wheat. I also wish I could eat everything really slowly but that is not who I am. I hope some of this is helpful.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#295657 - 01/08/07 06:03 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried doing more vigorous exercises other than walking? It may get things going with the bm's, gas, and bloating.
The time when I was mostly gas and bloat free was when I didn't eat any breads or pastas.

#295658 - 01/08/07 06:07 PM
Jordy

Quote:

I found I had to remove digestive enzymes from my diet. They were giving me gas and bloating

This would be really rare, wouldn't it? This is the first time I've heard digestive enzymes causing such problems. How did you pinpoint it to this???

I do eat mostly low fructose. It doesn't seem to matter.

--------------------

#295660 - 01/08/07 06:09 PM
Jordy

How did you get your SF when you removed bread and pasta?
Do you still avoid them?

I can't think of anything more vigorous than walking at this time. Can't afford a gym membership...but I think swimming would help.

Thanks for the idea.

--------------------

#295661 - 01/08/07 06:10 PM
Jordy

You think the Acacia helps your bloat, too?

--------------------

#295662 - 01/08/07 06:14 PM
Jordy

Thanks Lisa Marie. I do drink peppermint, chamomille and also Eaters Digest which contains fennel, peppermint and ginger.

I thought I was the only one who didn't have success with fennel!

The SFS I've tried are citrucel, psyllium, fibercon, benefiber, fiber choice, fiber smart, and acacia. I think that's all of them!

Yes, I think about hypno, but my doctor doesn't think it would be beneficial to me just yet.

--------------------

#295664 - 01/08/07 06:17 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

That was before I knew about this website so I didn't know much about the difference between the two fibres. The only fibre supplement I was taking at the time was FibreSmart. My diet consisted of protein, fruits, and vegetables. On weekends I would have potatoes with meals.

If you have a vcr or dvd player you can try doing an exercise program like yoga or pilates. Pilates really works your abs and all the muscles in that area. It might be worth a try. If you do decide to do it, I recommend Winsor Pilates.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review