All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gas from soy and/or tofu products
      #295528 - 01/07/07 01:46 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I have noticed that when I have too much soy, I get gas, but yet I seem to do much better with Toffutti products like the cream cheese or the ice creams. I had soy delicious ice cream the other day and I know I overdid the amount but even when I've had soy in some recipes it caused more gas than the tofu seems to. Anyone else notice the same thing? I'll have to remember to take Beano.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gas from soy and/or tofu products new
      #295530 - 01/07/07 02:15 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing, too. It probably has to do with the process that turns the raw soybeans into the food product. To be honest, I haven't been tracking the effects of different products too closely, since I try not to overindulge in soy due to the phyto-estrogens. I bought some Genisoy Soy crisps today, though, and they are making me pretty gassy. They're so addictively tasty, though. I guess I'll have to go find my bottle of Beano before I eat any more.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#295535 - 01/07/07 03:32 PM
joybot

Reged: 12/17/06

I didnt buy beano because one ingredient was Wheat and that is a trigger? How come you are able to take it
?

#295536 - 01/07/07 03:55 PM
kenjari

Wheat isn't usually a trigger, although there are a few people that have problems with it. Gluten intolerance is separate from IBS, although a person can have both. I eat wheat products all the time with no problems whatsoever.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#295537 - 01/07/07 04:23 PM
line415

I only take it once and awhile based on other people who take it often on this site. I never even read the ingredients. I imagine I wouldn't know if it was causing me a problem b/c I don't take it often enough and it's usually with a gassy food anyway so I probably just think that it's the food. Maybe someone who takes it often can respond. Are you allergic to wheat or just sensitive? I am under impression that unless something is "whole wheat" like in an IF food it shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------

#295538 - 01/07/07 04:27 PM
line415

Thanks. I wondered if I was the only one. It's weird b/c I'm not one of the people who would really place "gassiness" up high on my list of IBS symptoms, so when it comes, it's usually a surprise and I feel terrible. (Makes me empathize with all the C'ers who have the constant bloating/gas out there). I think I'm going to need to avoid that ice cream altogether or in VERY SMALL quantities. I was soooo gassy the next day despite a bunch of gas-x AND having a few bowel movements.

--------------------

#295550 - 01/07/07 05:30 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

This post makes me wonder if the soymilk i drink is causing my gas. I get it without pain, but it has unplesant odor and is embarrassing but i cant pinpoint the food. I have been drinking it for two months at least to replace milk and had days that i have not had gas but what about soy yogurt? what do you guys think?

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

#295557 - 01/07/07 06:10 PM
kenjari

Sounds like my soy gas - no real pain, but rather stinky. This happens especially if I have a lot of soy close to my period. Soy yogurt might not have quite so much of an effect because of the live cultures.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#295559 - 01/07/07 06:11 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Some IBS people have difficulty tolerating soy products. But I wonder whether it is the soy or the additives that is causing the problem.

Here in Toronto (and across Canada) we can buy a soy milk called "So Nice organic soy beverage -- natural." This product contains nothing but soy liquid and water. No additives or other ingredients. I have never had a problem with it and I mainly use it to bolster soups (it makes my soups creamy). I try not to use it too much because soy milk is very fattening and I like to maintain my size 0 figure!

Unfortunately "So Nice" is not available in the U.S. and I have never yet found a soy milk in the U.S. that doesn't contain a long list of additives and other ingredients.

I find sometimes when you think something is bothering you, it may not be the food itself, but something else that's being added in.

For example, I used to think I had difficulty with wheat until I tried "Yehuda Matzah" which is made solely from white wheat flour and water. I feel great whenever I eat this, but not quite as good when I eat bread from the bakery because the bread contains all sorts of other ingredients not just white wheat flour and water.

#295600 - 01/08/07 07:58 AM
line415

All very interesting. I drink Soyfee EVERY morning religiously (1 cup which is made of soybeans brewed like coffee). I've been doing this for 4 months with no gas at all. Yet like some of you have said, too much soy milk or soy products produce terrible gas. I hadn't made the connection either at first, but now I'm trying to just use water in my oatmeal and almond milk in smoothies. It's difficult to completely avoid though b/c it's a replacement in so many recipes. I think the quantity makes a difference...for example if it's used in a baking recipe, it might be okay, but when I used it for "fake" alfredo sauce (soy milk AND tofu), I got gas. I guess we should just all have a heads up for soy and don't discount it as being another food giving us problems. Everything in moderation! ugh

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review