All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions about amitriptyline for IBS
      #295240 - 01/04/07 09:15 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi,
After over 30 years of abdominal pains, over the last six months I have pushed for an official (rather than assumed) diagnosis of my problem. Yesterday, the GI doctor confirmed that my pain is due to a combination of IBS and adhesions from previous surgery. I also have a large loop of redundant colon and, I suspect, endometriosis. Pain management is therefore the way forward. He has prescribed 10mg daily of the AD amitriptyline for six months.

As I have never taken this kind of med before, please could anyone tell me about their experiences with it? The doctor said that the main side effect is drowsiness so I should take it before bed. My worry is that I have to get up really early for work, so don't want any more brain fog than usual! Would it be better to take it early evening, about 12 hours before I get up?

Also, from what I understand, it has an effect on the pain receptors in the gut so that they are not so over-sensitive to stimuli. If that is so, does this effect last after I stop taking the med?

I am seeing the GI doctor for a review in six months, but he seemed to think that I would probably cancel this as I would be a lot better!!

Again, I want to thank everyone for this fantastic site. I have found that the diet and Acacia are really helping me to reduce the severity of my symptoms. Although I don't post much, I browse the boards daily as there is so much help, support, encouragement and information here. It really makes me feel that I am not the only person who has to put up with this.

Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions about amitriptyline for IBS new
      #295241 - 01/04/07 09:20 AM
ibsnotme

Reged: 03/07/06

I have been on amitriptyline for 9 months and it had worked really well. My abdominal pain was gone in a few weeks. I still have some IBS symptoms when my hormones interfere or when I'm stressed, but not the terrible pain anymore. Good luck!

#295242 - 01/04/07 09:40 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've been on amitriptyline for pain management (for lupus & ibs) for almost a year now. I take 10 mg about an hour before bed. I think you could take it earlier if you don't have to drive anywhere. I do notice it makes me a bit groggier in the morning, just the first hour after waking up, but it's not a problem if I get a full night's sleep. Also, I haven't experienced any side effects, other than the drowsiness, while I've been on it.

My doctor has said I can increase it to 20 mg, but I haven't had to yet.

I wish you the best of luck with this medication!

#295243 - 01/04/07 10:15 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Hi Rio, happy new year. Pleased to learn that the diet is helping you in addition to this website in general.

I am a good example of a successful patient on amtriptyline (Elavil) for 3 or 4 months now. I take 20mgs a day. I wake up at 5:00am for work and sleep early around 9:00pm or 9:30pm everyday. I take the medication at 7:00pm or earlier and I don't feel very drowsy. In addition, I feel energetic the next day and do not feel any adverse side effects.

The effects of the meds do not last if you do not take it. Your diet and increase of Acacia will help you sustain good gut function in the long run versus any medication. I intend to get off of the Elavil in about 6 months to a year. My body has been going crazy since August of 2006 and I am only recently experiencing pain free days. I don't want to push it and get off the meds too fast.

Also, keep in mind that a 10mg dose is a very small dose and you should not feel major side effects on a dose that small. I was also intimidated of the side effects but now I don't worry at all.

Good luck and I hope to hear from you on the boards!

#295246 - 01/04/07 11:17 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Thanks to you all for responding so quickly. As you probably realised, I wasn't too sure about taking this stuff - side effects, will it work etc - but you have reassured me and even given me some hope that it will actually do something about the pain.

I'm going to take my first dose tomorrow evening, so if I do have any side effects, it won't matter as I don't work Saturday. I know it takes a few weeks to kick in, so I'll keep you posted on my progress.

And happy new year to you too, Sufie ... and all!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1074

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review