All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New, young, confused -- Accidents & Trauma?
      #295211 - 01/03/07 06:49 PM
elli

Reged: 01/03/07

Hi,

I am a university student (20 years old) who has been suffering through IBS-D for about two years (the first of which went undiagnosed). For the first 18 years of my life, I was symptom free. Then, one night, I went out to dinner with friends and then for a walk, during which I had an "accident" (D) in the middle of the street. It was very humilating and traumatizing. I believe that I only had food poisoning, and if I had been able to find a bathroom, I would never have developed the IBS that I now have. I can no longer do the things I used to be able to do (sports, travel, hiking, sometimes even just leave the house) or eat what I used to be able to eat (practically anything). Also, instantly after the accident, I began having the symptoms that I still have today (pretty typical IBS-D).

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about accidents and trauma, and if this one incident could be at the root of my IBS. Also, what can I do to overcome the trauma so that I can go on leading a regular life? Is this even possible?

Additionally, I am currently at university, which makes things even more difficult. Sometimes it is difficult to go to class, find things to eat in the cafeteria (although I have started cooking for myself in the dorm kitchen, but time and resources are limited), and have a social life, particularly when so much of college socializing involves alcohol (which, obviously, I tend to stay away from). Any advice or empathy would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much. It's wonderful to find a community that is so understanding.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New, young, confused -- Accidents & Trauma? new
      #295215 - 01/03/07 07:04 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If you had been able to get to a bathroom on time, it would not effect if you got IBS or not. Sometimes if people get food poisoning or some kiind of parasite, it may lead to IBS. Some of your stress or anxiety about the incident may contribute to your IBS symptoms though, but I wouldn't say it's the cause of your IBS.
Try Heather's diet, it will help stablize your tummy and do the Hypnosis cd's on this site because it can help out with the stress and anxiety of IBS.

#295217 - 01/03/07 07:10 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about accidents and trauma, and if this one incident could be at the root of my IBS. Also, what can I do to overcome the trauma so that I can go on leading a regular life? Is this even possible?

Welcome, little bird, to the boards! It's good to have you here. I have noticed that many people who have IBS have also been through some sort of event or period in their life when symptoms seemed to start. However, no one knows what exactly causes IBS. I doubt that if you had found a bathroom to use that IBS wouldn't have been a problem for you. So don't start (or continue) the "what-ifs." They won't help any, anyway. The good news is that you can control your symptoms. I've been stable for almost a year and a half (since Aug. '05). Do a search on the recipe and diet boards for quick meals and snacks to go. And check out this link: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=65272&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
There are many things you can keep on hand to throw together quickly. Be sure to get yourself a copy of "Eating For IBS" and also get yourself the Acacia fiber. If you cheat at all with this diet, you will not get stable. Many people are able to add things back into their diet once they're stable that used to trigger attacks. But that can't be done until you stabilize.

A note on the social life: Many people find it difficult to commit to a lifestyle change like IBS calls for when their friends are out doing something entirely different. But, remember that a true friend will support you. If people aren't or won't try to be understanding of your IBS and the things you need to do to maintain your health, then they aren't worth the frustration as a friend. I know this sounds harsh, but it's true. Your health is more important than anything else.

Good luck. We're here for you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#295229 - 01/04/07 06:27 AM
elli

Wow -- thank you all so much for the fast turnaround and comforting advice. I really appreciate it, and will definitely follow through on all your suggestions.

#295230 - 01/04/07 06:28 AM
elli

Thanks so much! How did you find the hypnosis CDs?

#295245 - 01/04/07 10:44 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Welcome!

Click on the "Hypnosis for IBS" link; you can find info about the CDs there, and you can order them from Heather's store ("Shop for IBS").

Sometimes the strangest things can lead to a lifetime of IBS; and a food poisoning incident isn't terribly uncommon, I'm sure. Mine started by simply taking a trip to France - my body couldn't adjust to the change in time zones. Once I returned to the states, I was never the same. But do not despair! You are not alone, and you will find a wealth of info and support here. The hypnosis CDs have worked wonders for me! I've done the program once, and I'll be starting it again in the next week or so. It helped me overcome a lot of my restaurant anxiety, and I'm sure it will help you with the anxiety issues you are having.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#295247 - 01/04/07 11:18 AM
jojoand4

Reged: 01/04/07

I'd like to ask if most of you have IBS symptoms 24/7 or if they come and go. Mine have been present for 6 months with no let up. I can't imagine living like this. It's so miserable.

#295251 - 01/04/07 11:38 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am so sorry to hear about what you're going through.

If the "accident" you refer to was food poisoning, then, yes, it could have triggered your IBS. In general, IBS is triggered by some sort of an assault to the tummy such as food poisoning, stomach flu and even diet pills. Getting to a bathroom sooner would not have changed the outcome. It would have just been less embarrassing.

It is not possible to lead a 100 per cent normal life with IBS, but you can still lead a very good life if you can learn to work around the restrictions.

If you follow Heather's diet, it should be possible to dramatically reduce your symptoms although D can still occur especially around your menstruation.

Unfortunately, in order to properly follow the diet, it is always safest to prepare your own food which would be time-consuming and awkward for you in a university dorm.

I prepare most of my meals in advance -- leaving aside time to cook on Sunday afternoons and on Thursday evenings. I bring my own home-prepared breakfasts and lunches to work and I bring my own home-prepared dinners if I am going out for dinner. It's a drag, but it's the safest thing to do. If you prepare your own food, then you know exactly what's in it and, therefore, you have the most control over what you consume.

I've had IBS all of my life ... almost 50 years now. I've been very sick over the years especially when it was wrongly diagnosed. Nowadays I am fine most of the time. In spite of my IBS, I have managed to have a good career and I've travelled a great deal. I have two university degrees and part of a college program as well.

Everything is possible no matter what challenges IBS may pose. It's just a question of your will as well as your ingenuity and patience in working around the restrictions.

#295269 - 01/04/07 04:21 PM
Gracie

As Lisa Marie said below, they are on this website. The link is to the left of your screen.
I found the Cd's very helpful, and I will be doing a second round shortly. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

#295271 - 01/04/07 04:24 PM
Gracie

Some people's IBS is cyclical, and others have it constant until they get relief by diet, exercise, or medication, or hypnosis.

#295286 - 01/04/07 06:14 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling with IBS during this "young, active" time in college. I can empathize to some degree and say that I had IBS symptoms during my college years but not quite full-blown IBS. I can recall many times when I was on a road trip with a bunch of people and had to stop repeatedly for the bathroom. The difference back then was that once I "went" a few times, it was usually over and if I was stressed, it wiould go away once I got involved in the anxious activity (like taking a test in class).

I was surprised to read others' responses to you about trauma. That was an excellent question. I believe that my anxiety about the d amplified, thus the IBS amplified when I had taken a laxative to relieve some constipation one time. It was the next day and I sat joyfully eating a bagel in my car on campus (grad school) when suddenly....and I tried to make it into the building but, well, you can envision the rest . Ever since then, the FEAR of the D can easily cause the D. (That was about 10 years ago.) So it's interesting that most people are saying that the IBS might have developed anyway. Food poisoning is more of a trauma to your digestive system I think than an obvious laxative result so it may have just thrown your system out of whack.
I think the point is that you did not CAUSE it by having your experience and the stress that followed...of course anyone would be embarrassed and would consider it a trauma, especially at a young age. If you read more, you'll repeatedly see that even though anxiety plays a role in IBS, it is a TRUE, physical problem that we have and no one should try to negate that.

My suggestions would be as follows:
1.(In your spare time), read ALL you can on this site, not just the boards. Mostly read about the diet, soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. What you eat for breakfast can start your whole day off good or bad. Try oatmeal (it seems most of us do okay with it)with just water when you wake up to settle your stomach. (You can get the packets and make it easily in your dorm room if you have access to a microwave.)

2. Order Heather's Acacia. It's not very expensive and it has done wonders for my d. You have to work up slowly, but the more you take, the more options you will have for eating other foods safely and I almost "feel" it soak up the water in my bowels if that makes any sense. In the meantime, you can try some Fibercon (which I know, sounds scary) but it will BULK up your stool. If it works, it may be a more viable option for you than a powder like Acacia b/c it might be easier for you to "pop a few pill" than devise ways to ingest the powder throughout the day.

3. If you've had an official diagnosis from a doctor (which you should...if you haven't had all the tests, you want to be sure it's not something else), get a doctor's note and give it to your professors. This way just knowing that they are aware you might need to leave class a few times or might be late will put your mind at ease.

4. Avoid the triggers listed on the cheat sheet (dairy, coffee...) and yes, alcohol. Difficult I imagine for a college student with partying all around you but it's true that your true friends shouldn't pressure you into anything regardless of IBS. On a more practical note though, you may not want to anounce to the whole party that it will give you d , so say you get an allergic reaction or something and would rather have a good time by avoiding it. Not everyone needs to know your bm info. I'm sure there are other students who don't want to drink either for non-IBS reasons and they shouldn't feel pressured. (It's a tough social world we live in ).

5. If you can affor the hypno, get it. I just started it and can't really say it's changed me all that much yet, but I believe others when they vouch for its efficacy.

6. Finally, take one day at a time. It's overwhelming when you think about all that you have on your plate and all the events you might have ahead of you. Do the "break the cycle diet" found on this site and then add one thing in at a time...some safe snacks, etc.. and if you have a busy day at school or you're going out with friends, Immodium will become your BEST FRIEND until you get stable! Welcome to the boards and don't fear...you are in good hands and everyone here will help you through this! (PS., I have only been on this site since Sept. and it has changed my life. Others who offer advice have been stable for more than a year so there is hope.)

Oh...and my favorite snacks adaptable for college life..graham crackers, pretzels, bagels (plain bagel with jelly if you have to order it out), turkey on italian roll with mustard...see there are things you can eat, even within your environment. I know, not so exciting, but you can look forward to school breaks when you can go home and bake some "fake" brownies or some of the delicious IBS recipes.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#295443 - 01/06/07 03:20 PM
elli

line415,

You are amazing. Thank you so much for the advice and kind words. I will take everything you said to heart. I really appreciate the time and dedication you put into this response. It means a lot to me.

Makes me feel good to help Little Bird... new
      #295454 - 01/06/07 05:20 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

You're very welcome. I am certainly no expert. I can only thank the many many amazing people on this site who have answered all my questions in these last months. I sometimes wonder why so many stable people are still posting. I think part of it is b/c everyone is still learning and coping with their IBS but also I think that many are just here to offer support to us newbies. I am deeply grateful to EVERYONE who has ever answered or encouraged me and continues to help me each day. Heather has created a wonderful, open, unconditional shall I say? forum for us to share such a trying and often embarrassing condition. I hope that you will stay on board and benefit as I have. Just remember that it takes time and can be very frustrating. It's a lot to remember and digest at first and you need to readjust your whole mindset as to how, what, and when you eat, what supplements you might take, what foods can/can't tolerate that someone else might be able to eat...it's so individualized. But stick with it...you will find your way. (And by the way, I started taking a Calcium supplement (Caltrate 600 just one pill/day...I'm going to work up to more)...that seems to help my d. Other people take probiotics, digestive enzymes, etc....for now just learn the basics and take it slow. Good luck and ask away any time.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#295656 - 01/08/07 06:00 PM
sye10

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Miami, FL

Hi little bird,
This is my first time posting but your message made me want to reply. I'm 24 and a law student, so I am very familiar with what it feels like to lead a social lifestyle, in college, at a young age... with IBS-D. I can't relate too much to the 'trauma' since I've had stomach problems for years. They have been much worse the last ~3 years. I recommend the Acacia Tummy Fiber, Fennel and Peppermint teas. (Although the Fennel tea has sometimes had a negative effect). I carry Immodium everywhere I go (in a cute & trendy pill box) and I hate to admit it's my savior at times. And yes, I use is as a preventive measure as well. If I get invited to friends' houses for a dinner party or for a road trip, for example, I take one because it is the ONLY way I feel "safe". I've had my appendix and my gallbladder taken out, and still no improvement.
As for eating in school or when out and about, I stick to: Subs (usually Subway, turkey, swiss, little mustard, NO lettuce & tomato, ever); Pasta with VERY little sauce if any (usually I just prefer mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes); White rice; Grilled chicken; French bread; Baked potato, and things like that.
I don't drink alcohol anymore (which is annoying when you're 24 and have a fun lifestyle), I haven't had coffee, soda or anything fried in years... and of course that's always a good thing.
I just wanted to tell you I know how you feel and I wish you luck. I'm still fighting with this and it's no fun, but I hope to try new things everytime and hope to find what really helps me.
p.s. You have to find what works for you... the recipe book is really good, but, for example, I've found oatmeal and bananas are NOT good for me at all (and they seem very recommended on this site). And as a young student living on my own, I have to adjust the recipes to fit my lifestyle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review