All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
lost a lot of weight,how can i get more fat and protein in my diet..safely
      #295097 - 01/02/07 06:35 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

hi,
i've lost 18 lbs due to not being able to eat from ibs, the pain was so bad that i lived on yams,rice,cheeios and bananas for a month. now i am eating chicken pastas,oatmeal,pears,apples...just more foods. i think i am getting more stable. i am up to 2.5Tbs of acacia. how can i get more fat in to my diet so i can gain some weight. also what are some safe protein foods for snacks?
i'm still having trouble with my C , somedays i feel so tierd..i'm so frustrated

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: lost a lot of weight,how can i get more fat and protein in my diet..safely new
      #295104 - 01/02/07 07:17 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can get some healthy fats by eating fish, nuts, and maybe a little ground flax seeds which might help with your C.

Re: lost a lot of weight,how can i get more fat and protein in my diet..safely new
      #295105 - 01/02/07 07:36 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I agree that fish and nuts are good for getting fat into your diet. But be cautious with how you add nuts in to your foods. There are plenty of IBS friendly recipe that call for one kind of nut or another. You can do a list on the Recipe board to find some. Pastas ans breads and a great way to add carbs to your diet to put on some extra weight.

I lost a solid 20 lbs from IBS when my symptoms were at their worst. But now I've stabilized and it's much easier to gain weight because I'm not losing all of the nutrition from foods that I was.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#295106 - 01/02/07 07:57 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Nut butters spread on toast, bagels, crackers, etc. are great for both fat and protein. I'm particularly fond of almond butter. It's a bit expensive, but since I can't spread it on too thick, one jar goes a long way.
Hummous is also good as a spread or dip for bread, crackers, etc.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#295144 - 01/03/07 07:49 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'm a *huge* fan of avocados for healthy fats. I add them to sandwiches, make guacamole, and put them on cooked chicken. Yum. And I'm just guessing that if I can get them up here, they're easily available nearly everywhere.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Re: I'm in the same boat. new
      #295181 - 01/03/07 04:59 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm no longer loosing wieght, but I can't seem to gain any. My husband and I are toying with the idea of having another baby, but I am terrified to get pregnant because I just can't gain weight. (Not to mention the other 5000 reasons to fear the idea of having another one). It's very frustrating. I eat alot of bread and I use nut spreads but this does not seem to help. This year at my physical I weighed exactly the same as last year. Oh well... at least I didn't loose weight.

Re: lost a lot of weight, Im in the same boat too! new
      #295185 - 01/03/07 05:07 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I lost 7 lbs. and I look anorexic (is that how you spell it?)I would always skip lunch or eat real light before I went out because I was afraid of D happening. I am now eating tons of bread and pasta for most meals and also eat bananas on peanut butter toast in the morning. Is that good carbs and fat to gain weight again? I need to put on 10 lbs. Its my new years resolution. Thanks

Edited by Joannelcoq (01/03/07 05:10 PM)

bump new
      #295256 - 01/04/07 01:16 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Re: Me too new
      #295261 - 01/04/07 03:39 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've lost over 25 lbs since Feb. (I had to use a calculator to do the math - I think weight loss affects grey matter!) I can't find anything to keep the weight on either. I eat nuts, peanut butter, etc, but I have to keep my fat to about 50 grams a day otherwise my tum is miserable. I even eat a few non-safe things too that don't bother me - cheese bagels, popcorn (occasionally) and Little Debbie cakes! Still doesn't help! My grandma wants me to eat more chocolate - which I don't oppose, but it's not the best way to gain weight! The GI asked in May about my weight, but not in Dec after my endoscope. I was told to stay above 130 lbs. Tuesday I weighed in at 114 lbs. I think I'll just put lead in my socks before my next physical.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: me too.. new
      #295267 - 01/04/07 04:13 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've had IBS as long as I can remember, and although I haven't had a drastic weight loss, I have never been a healthy weight. I'm not at my ideal weight yet (aiming for 105, currently about 92) but I think I'm finally ready. I started first with getting stable on Heather's diet. Over the past year I've expanded my diet a lot and now have tons of protein sources, meal recipes and safe veggies I can eat. Now my plan for the next year is to eat eat eat!

It really helps to be stable first and then work on the numbers. I eat 4-5 meals a day, and get protein with every meal. My fat intake is very low but I find eating more low-fat is better than eating a little higher-fat in terms of weight gain. So find your safe foods, stock up on them and eat lots.

It also helps to have a blood test for iron and B12 if your diet has been restricted for a long time. It could help boost your energy if you deal with deficiencies.

--------------------
Kat

#295484 - 01/07/07 08:14 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

nut spreads all the way, there is PB, almond butter, cashew and macadamia nut butters etc, i eat mine on toast and with fruit as a snack. Avocados are a really good one too, so yummy, lots of ways to use. Hemp nuts are also good and easier to digest than your average chewed up nut. hmmm other than that, eggs, fish, olive oil, tahini in dressings, etc. good luck and i know how it feels, i am 5'5" and was down to 101 and my doc told me i had to gain some weight, so it took me a year to work up to normal portion sizes 6 times a day and i managed to get myself up to 110, 115 is my ideal, but i am stuck at 110, i used to be a healthy 120, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

#296925 - 01/17/07 03:17 AM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

This is the same with me, Miso

I lost weight after 7 yrs of losing my weight and strength due to not being able to eat anything with the IBS. Last year the doctors even had to put me on a special IV diet to make me able to survive the surgery that I had a month later. I had to have several severe blockages repaired in my Aorta artery. This is the main artery that flows down from your heart. I had 100% blockage of circulation of blood to the intestine, and 95% blockage of the circulation of the blood to the bowels. So no wonder I was having a horrible time with my IBS.

That was last summer and even though I am still working on getting strength back and energy levels more normal, I am just learning what to eat. I am down to about 125 and as soon as I start gaining a little weight I get D really bad and lose all that weight.

My appetite is ok and my stomach growls when it is hungry which is about every couple of hours. So what would anyone suggest that might be helpful???

My doctor recommended that I take some Psyllium (1TB X2 per day), but that just causes me to have more bloating and gas pressure. Any other suggestions there???? My doctor says that the gastrenologist have told her that fiber is what is helpful and important for IBS suffers. While I have agreed and tried to explain that it may be as simple as soluble and non soluble fiber in the diet, she does not seem to catch the drift, ya know?????

I am frustrated and hoping that someone can at least help a little bit.

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Re: lost a lot of weight, Im in the same boat too! new
      #296977 - 01/17/07 10:13 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Quote:

I lost 7 lbs. and I look anorexic (is that how you spell it?)I would always skip lunch or eat real light before I went out because I was afraid of D happening. I am now eating tons of bread and pasta for most meals and also eat bananas on peanut butter toast in the morning. Is that good carbs and fat to gain weight again? I need to put on 10 lbs. Its my new years resolution. Thanks

I'm the same way, I'm only 17, but people say I look like I'm 12 or something, I'm very thin, always have had trouble with losing weight but not gaining it back, right now, (I am short, so I guess the weight is somewhat normal, I'm 5'2) I only weigh about 92-94 lbs. Last April I was 100, and when I went back to the doctor in September or so to see what was wrong with my stomach always hurting (to find out that I had IBS) I had lost 6 lbs, and by now I know I've lost another 2-3 lbs, doesn't sound like much, but for me, it is. Friends and family accuse me of being annorexic or belemic (not sure on the spelling of both) because I eat in tiny portions (and they always seem to dissappear when I'm eating my next meal lol) and go to the bathroom often because of "d" and because I drink tons of water everyday. At least five 32 oz bottles a day. I've started adding more to my diet, I eat LOTS of bread and rice and potatoes, and I'm adding in some dairy, whole milk, small servings of icecream, and some desserts to try to add in calories, but I feel like I could be adding more low-fat foods that are healthier than chocolate and icecream lol. Any advice?? Usually for breakfast I have a bowl of cereal with whole milk (I take digestive enzyme suppliments which help a ton), and sometimes if I'm really hungry and in no danger of filling myself, I have a buttered bagel (the "butter" i have is SmartBalance, non-dairy) and a banana. For lunch I have leftovers from the night before, usually rice and/or potatoes with chicken and some kind of veggie, and for dinner I have generally the same thing, also sometimes I have pasta instead, or Chicken and Dumpling Soup. My menu isn't very big right now lol, as I am just now starting to get stable again. I only just started this diet a month ago. Also I have a guestion. What is acacia, I see it alot in posts?

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Please read about Heather's diet! new
      #297032 - 01/17/07 02:43 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I've started adding more to my diet, I eat LOTS of bread and rice and potatoes, and I'm adding in some dairy, whole milk, small servings of icecream, and some desserts to try to add in calories, but I feel like I could be adding more low-fat foods that are healthier than chocolate and icecream lol. Any advice?? Usually for breakfast I have a bowl of cereal with whole milk (I take digestive enzyme suppliments which help a ton), and sometimes if I'm really hungry and in no danger of filling myself, I have a buttered bagel (the "butter" i have is SmartBalance, non-dairy) and a banana. For lunch I have leftovers from the night before, usually rice and/or potatoes with chicken and some kind of veggie, and for dinner I have generally the same thing, also sometimes I have pasta instead, or Chicken and Dumpling Soup. My menu isn't very big right now lol, as I am just now starting to get stable again. I only just started this diet a month ago. Also I have a guestion. What is acacia, I see it alot in posts?

Please, please read all the stickies at the top of the board and the rest of the website outside of the message boards. You can start on the homepage ( http://www.helpforibs.com) or click on the link "IBS Diet & Recipes" up in the upper left hand corner.

Dairy is one of the biggest trigger foods! It'll be hard to get stable if you're eating dairy products.

Acacia is a soluble fiber supplement (SFS). It's discussed extensively in the stickies and elsewhere on this site.

--AC

about gaining weight... new
      #297099 - 01/18/07 07:10 AM
Miso

i know how you feel, i was 100 lbs at 5'5" and my doc said to gain some weight now. it took me 6 months to increase my portion sizes of my 3 meals and 3 snacks a day without feeling sick, but i did it and now i am 110-112. Yikes nooooooo milk of any kind, try a good soymilk, it should have a decent fat content and won't hurt your tummy, the other good and tasty weight gainer is nut butters (peanut, almond and sunflower seed) use on bread, bagels, fruit, veggies etc as a dip ( not too mcuh at a time, but various times during the day. Also eating and hour or 2 before bed helps you to gain weight. There are also soy icecreams with good fat content, but you really want the fat and nutrition without all the added sugar and such. Oat meal is also a good grain because i=t has soothing tummy properties, and if you get the old fashioned one it has a higher natural fat content than most grains and lots of SF which is good for tummy, add in a banana and some chopped walnuts and you're in business.

#297104 - 01/18/07 07:16 AM
Miso

as this website says, psyllium is veryy hard on the intestines, i would suggest the acacia fiber or something called fibersmart which is flax and borage seed. That is impostant for eventualy controlling gas and bloating. as for the gainng weight, do the 3/3 food combo. I eat a good breakfast with oatmeal, a banana and some walnuts in the morning, then fruit with almond butter for a snack(berries and kiwis) then a decent sized lunch (not too much) then some abby carrots and some crackers for snack, or tortilla chips with salsa or hummus and pita, and then a decent dinner (pasta with veggies and sauce as an example) the a either some oatmeal with berries, toast with PB and such for a bedtime snack 2 hours before bed.
Breaking it up means you aren't too full, but get all of the calories that you need.
Good luck.

Re: Please read about Heather's diet! new
      #297217 - 01/18/07 06:22 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I have read all about the diet, I've read and re-read every page of this site, I know it like the back of my hand. I do follow the diet almost to the letter, and I've been stable for almost 3 weeks straight (there have been two days where ive been really sick). It's just hard on my family to buy soy products and other foods like that, and its also annoying cuz I have 5 siblings and they all get jealous of the "extra attention" i get lol. I'm sure everyone with several siblings and children of their own know the feeling? Thank you for your help though. I'm going to try to follow the diet more carefully

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#297219 - 01/18/07 06:35 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

thank you for all the replies!!!!!! i've incorporated avocados and slowly doing nut butters. i still need to stabilize. i think i am getting there slowly my C right now is kinda bad. i may have to take MOM

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

#298179 - 01/26/07 03:13 PM
Lummi Beader

Wow I will be looking for the fibersmart stuff on payday. Last week I went to an appointment that I finally got from the VA Medical Center in Seattle for a Gastrenologist. He had me go to the Lab for some blood tests and a poop test. I am hoping that he can help me to find what is wrong so that I can gain some weight.

Do not get me wrong, I am glad to be a very small size but it is not sexy nor is it comfortable so if being so tiny means that I will have pain, bloating, and eating problems then I do not want it. My doctor too has told me to gain weight right now! Like I can just order the weight on today, and it will stay there.

Good luck to all and lets keep in touch on this subject. Like what works for you and what does not work. Sometimes the best advice here has come from these boards and then we can share the info with our doctors. Does your doctor learn from this or do they just listen???? I have no idea.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#298773 - 02/02/07 06:28 PM
Lummi Beader

Does anyone know where in Bellingham Washington that I can find "FIBERSMART"?? It is the beginning of the month and my disability has arrived and I can afford it now.

Thank you,

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review