All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bananas, Potatoes, and Bread...oh MY!
      #294896 - 12/29/06 07:42 PM
yvette71

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: Salem, MA

That's all I can eat these days...good grief. And Immodium to get me thru obligatory dinners. I've been finding most restaurant mashed potatoes are doctored with butt-loads of butter and cream.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do...Explosive IBS-D, sometimes no matter what I eat and in the past month its been bad! Everything I've used since 1997 to control my IBS doesn't work anymore. I've started the hypotherapy.

I need to see a new Gastro, the last 2 weren't too interested in IBS...anybody have great recommendations for the Boston/North of Boston Area? I'm tired. I need help. Just when I think I'm getting back on track....WHAM! I get cut-off at the knees...and back to square one. And back to eating bananas, plain baked potatoes and plain french bread dinner rolls...

::::big heavy sigh::::: help. Please.

BTW: Heather, thanks for your reply to Jill O., hopefully someone here might know of a good doc out here on the East coast.

--------------------
IBS-A (Currently in stuck in heinous IBS-D land)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bananas, Potatoes, and Bread...oh MY! new
      #294903 - 12/29/06 09:05 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Do the restaurants you go to offer baked potatoes? I find a lot of restaurants are very accomodating with different requests.

I hope you find a better GI than the ones you encountered.

#294907 - 12/30/06 06:27 AM
yvette71

Hi there, Yes I found for the most part restaurants are very good about having baked potatoes. Unforunately Christmas Brunch proved difficult...Everything was glossy, shiny, buttery. I ended up taking 2 Immodium tablets to be on the safe side.

Do people really take Imoodium daily? That can't be good for you long-term can it?

I hope I find a new gastro too...

--------------------

#294920 - 12/30/06 12:22 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

A lot of us take immodium daily. I started a few months ago and have been able to add a lot to my diet. I was like you where all I could eat was plain baked potatoes and bread. Now I can eat many more items. Check with your doctor but I've had good results.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Immodium/How much? new
      #294923 - 12/30/06 01:22 PM
yvette71

OK Now I'm really curious...how much do you take? Do you take it before you eat out? I really don't want to wait to be "expolsive" and then take it after...

I know we're all different, but would starting the day with two tabs be OK? My gastro told me to handle it on my own with the Immodium (I had wanted an Rx for Lomotil, but was denied).

Maybe take just one tab in the AM and go from there? I jsut want something to work until the hypnotherapy works and hopefully with diet modification I can that nerve in my gut to not be so *angry*.

--------------------

Re: Immodium/How much? new
      #294928 - 12/30/06 04:30 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I don't need to take Immodium daily, but when I have to go somewhere "risky" the next morning, I usually take one or two immodium before bed as preventative. Unfortunately, like you said, once explosive D comes, the immodium is not an immediate cure...it takes awhile to work. Other than that, I'll take 2 immodium mid-day if I'm having multiple BMs or loose and I'm nervous about going out(I'm doing the hypno too for anxiety.) If you do a search on "immodium", tons of posts will come up and you can read the discussions about it. Just try not to get in the habit of taking it just so you can "eat whatever you want"...b/c then you'll be just masking the IBS. Also, see how many and how often you can take it without getting constipated. If I took it every day (now with a better diet and Acacia), I would get C. Good luck!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#294956 - 12/31/06 08:34 AM
yvette71

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping just to use the Immodium as in-between until the diet, hypno or until something *big* in my life turns off the IBS-D *switch* Thanks Again

--------------------

#294968 - 12/31/06 11:08 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The Acacia really helps with D. You can also get enough SF through foods, but I find the acacia more convienient.

#294971 - 12/31/06 12:00 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I take half of an Advanced Immodium everyday. I started by taking a whole one and got REALLY constipated so I backed off.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4001

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review