All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
yogart for some relief
      #294860 - 12/29/06 10:24 AM
alexa

Reged: 12/29/06

has any one used dannon activia yogart with any success?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yogart for some relief new
      #294864 - 12/29/06 12:17 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I've just completed a course of Rifaxamin for bacterial overgrowth and my GI said I should follow it with Activia yogurt daily. I'm on day 5 and I think it may be helping. I had a lot of diarrhea during the course of antibiotics (felt like it was really cleaning things out) but a lessening of pain. It is still too early for me to tell if the Activia is helping but it is not making things worse. I'm also taking imodium and benefiber. I was concerned about dairy, but the GI said it was not a problem. So I am hopeful this will all work.

#294869 - 12/29/06 01:05 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

ijust read this about bacterial overgrowth being responsible for many cases of ibs and asked my GI about it. he said there is no test to see if this is the problem with me and then refused to refill my Bentyl without a colonoscopy. I have mainly pain predominantibs-c and with the Bentyl and BTC diet have been very stable with a few exceptions. Does anyone elso have info on this bacterial overgrowth? I will not go back to this idiot, excuse my frankness...

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

#294876 - 12/29/06 01:44 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This has been discussed before and you should be able to find it if you do a search.

While there may be benefits from the bacteria in this yogurt, it is still a dairy. And dairy is a trigger. Some people find that they can tolerate yogurt, and small amounts of other dairy products, but it is not part of the EFI diet.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Breath test new
      #294882 - 12/29/06 02:22 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You can have a breath test done to test for bacterial overgrowth. I did and it came out fine. There is a test for this!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#294884 - 12/29/06 02:27 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Susie2,
Are you taking probiotics to replace the good bacteria the antibiotics may have wiped out? That may help you as well.Probably better than "just" yogurt.
Kim

#294914 - 12/30/06 08:52 AM
Susie2

I was taking rifaxamin, an antibiotic specific to gastrointestinal infections like travelers diarrhea and bacterial overgrowth for suspected bacterial overgrowth. I asked the GI if I should follow up the course of antibiotics with probiotics and he said I should use Activia yogurt. I questioned this because of problems with dairy and he said it didn't apply to yogurt. Since he has been the only GI to listen me and try to do something other than say fiber and water for IBS, I decided to follow his advice. Today I had a real BM - formed stool, bulky. Hurrah! I hope and pray this is the answer.

#294915 - 12/30/06 08:56 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you eating one a day? I'm really surprised you are doing okay with the dairy. Especially Activia since it also contains added fructose. Keep us updated.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Breath test new
      #294916 - 12/30/06 09:09 AM
Susie2

My GI didn't think the breath test was very reliable. Going by my symptoms he decided to prescribe the Rifaxamin and give it a try. He was a little frustrated as he wasn't the GI who did my colonoscopy and endoscopy and abdominal CT scan earlier in the year. He really listened to me. In fact he has had me get the CD of the CT scan to review. I see him for followup after the first of the year.

#294917 - 12/30/06 09:20 AM
Susie2

I'm using one cup (4 ounces) in a smoothie with 1/2 banana and frozen strawberries. That way I get a little more fiber. I wasn't too thrilled about doing the Activia and would have preferred a probiotic in a tablet or capsule but that's what he recommended. I wish it came in plain nonfat version. I'm still cramping but not as badly. I was thinking of increasing it to two or just adding some plain Trader Joe yogurt. I have it for breakfast with a slice of sourdough toast.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6995

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review