All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
For those of you who DO eat whole wheat and whole grains...plus good IF snacks?
      #294830 - 12/28/06 07:54 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

It seems that many people post that their IF comes from fruits and veggies and that some people completely avoid whole wheat (as a first ingredient) at all costs b/c it's too harsh for their bodies. I have tried eating one slice of whole wheat bread and didn't have a problem and one other time I had a half of a multi-grain English muffin. Both times were of course paired with SF. Besides the fact that I'm missing whole grains, I am looking for quick and easy ways to incorporate more IF in my diet throughout the day. Sometimes I just don't have fruit or veggies handy (like if I'm out) or if I do, I bring an SF (like a banana) and I don't want to eat raw carrots or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Yesterday I was at the mall and I didn't "pack" a lunch except for water and some graham crackers. To be safe, I grabbed a bagel with my acacia but I knew I should have some IF too and I was stumped. I thought maybe if I found a smoothie place in the food court I could get a smoothie specially ordered? Has anyone ever done that? (I never even made it near the food court). I know I have to just trial and error, but I was just wondering how risky it is to maybe eat a few whole grain/whole wheat crackers or something along with SF throughout the day? Does anyone who is IBS-D/A have success with doing this...just enough to have more bms but not an attack?

Tonight I made a veggie hot dog (gross ) and twice-baked sweet-potatoes. But as I sat there eating, I realized that since sweet potatoes are SF, I wasn't really getting any IF, except for the small bit of pineapple that is in the sweet potato mixture. So I took a few bites of the skin hoping that would help! (never did that before ...don't have to go anywhere tomorrow!) Any suggestions (besides raisins) for IF snacks would be appreciated. I guess I'm getting more daring but want to see what others do within a safe realm.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those of you who DO eat whole wheat and whole grains...plus good IF snacks? new
      #294832 - 12/28/06 08:01 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I have whole wheat products sometimes and it doesn't bother me since I am still eating other SF foods or taking my acacia. It's not a good idea to over do it, but having some sometimes should be okay if your body doesn't have a major sensitivity to it.

Gracie new
      #294833 - 12/28/06 08:05 PM
line415

ARe you IBS-D or C or A and can you give me an example of what whole wheat foods you sometimes eat? The other day I was thinking about having a slice of whole wheat bread with dinner which was mostly SF (white rice) and chicken with Acacia mixed in. I had broccoli too, but I'm trying to go easy on the amount b/c I think broccoli is giving me too much gas later that night or the next day. Thanks.

--------------------

Re: Gracie new
      #294836 - 12/28/06 08:39 PM
Gracie

I'm an A. I've eaten whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, granola bars. I don't eat these things often, but I make sure I have SF food too, or the acacia.

Re: For those of you who DO eat whole wheat and whole grains...plus good IF snacks? new
      #294843 - 12/29/06 06:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I mostly avoided whole wheat, not because it bothered me, but because I can't stand the taste of the stuff. Like eating ground-up twigs mixed with your bread! Haha. But that said, I do sometimes eat whole wheat bread, and don't have any problems with it at all. I also eat granola bars like crazy - oats, of course, but still whole grain, and still some IF in there. I'm an A, but was always D-predominant.

As far as snacks go, it depends for me if I'm eating it with something else. If I'm going to have it with or shortly after lunch food (i.e., a sandwich), I go right into raw veggies - celery, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, pea pods, cucumbers. Fruit-wise, I often do grapes, or peaches or apples with the skin on.

Fruit IF snacks I'll eat without any SF beforehand, but not veggies - seems like veggies are a little more harsh, at least to me. Most of the time, though, if it's a completely random snack - like mid-afternoon, a couple hours after lunch - I still stick with SF snacks only.

Mall food isn't exactly known for its health and fiber content. I'd be surprised if you could find anything IF there, other than maybe a salad. It really is best to keep a stocked kitchen and bring at least your own munchies, if not your own lunch, every day.

Anyway, your plan to add a little bit of grain IF here and there is a good one. I'm so glad you're getting more daring! Just remember to take it slow.

#294846 - 12/29/06 07:24 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'm A/C, but I do eat whole wheat bread. I went a full 6 weeks without, but missed it for sandwiches. I eat my turkey sandwiches at lunch on it pretty regularly, but I start the meal with pretzels for the SF. I think without some IF in my bread, I'd have a hell of time getting all the IF I need to keep things moving.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#294852 - 12/29/06 08:59 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Line, I eat some whole wheat things now as IF--breads, english muffins, pancakes and crackers are where I seem to encounter it most. I personally would never opt for a salad while eating out, even with SF accompaniment--both the raw greens and the dressing (they all seem to be made with vinegar or dairy) are too much for me.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

That makes me feel more comfortable.... new
      #294858 - 12/29/06 09:57 AM
line415

Thank you all for your specific responses about what you eat. It makes me feel more comfortable in knowing that others who are D/A eat some whole grains too. It does seem like I need to add some IF and I am going to try to "gently" do it with a bit of whole wheat. I have mixed brown rice with white rice and now I think I'll eat whole wheat pasta with regular pasta if I don't have too many veggies that night or something. Granola bars are a good idea...I used to eat them but now that I have a clue what to look for, I will read the ingredients. (I also bought Luna Bars but I see them more as a sweet treat...even half is satisfying.) Stress plays such a role for me too b/c I am so afraid when I have to go somewhere (which is pretty much every day!), especially in the mornings. My belly is so much calmer now in the AM, it's unbelievably different than before, but the thoughts of going out can still make my stomach rumble. That's why I tend to skip IF at breakfast but then don't want to squeeze it all in unsafely the rest of the day. All your ideas have helped give me some perspective. Thank you.

--------------------

Re: Gracie new
      #294861 - 12/29/06 10:27 AM
candlemaker

Reged: 12/28/06

I am reading this sequence, and could you help with what you all mean by: I am an "A" I am a "B". I am new to all this. Thanks

Re:Candlemaker new
      #294862 - 12/29/06 11:16 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

D = Diarrhea
C = Constipation
A = Alternating between the two
The sticky note at the top of the IBS Diet Board explains the different abreviations.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: That makes me feel more comfortable.... new
      #295487 - 01/07/07 08:40 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i only eat whole grains, but only one at a time, so no crazy multigrain blends, for bread its rye or spelt, cereal is oats, rice, barley or sorghum based and crackers are rye or rice cakes. thing slike ezekiel bread with its 9 grains and sprouted soy and lentils is too much for me, i like to keep it simple, for dinner grains, brown rice, ww couscous, millet, kamut or ww pasta, etc.Lately i have cut out raw seeds and nuts in favour of their butters and have been noticing better dogestion though i miss them so, walnuts however seem to be fine whole.

Thanks Miso. I'm going to try some nut butters, as I've tolerated just a "bit" of pb. n/t new
      #295543 - 01/07/07 04:36 PM
line415

--------------------

Almond Butter new
      #295575 - 01/07/07 08:23 PM
Gracie

Almond butter is great, and you can mix a teaspoon of it in a smoothie.

Re: Almond Butter new
      #295593 - 01/08/07 07:49 AM
line415

Wow. I never thought of putting some in a smoothie. Sounds really good. The nut butters are so expensive so I hope I actually like and can tolerate the one I decide to buy. The HFS had cashew butter but only in large containers and I'd hate to buy it and waste it like soooo many other things I have bought and tried. I think there should be an IBS store that specifically sells samples of all types of replacement products...we'd all be a lot richer!

--------------------

Re: Almond Butter new
      #295702 - 01/09/07 07:12 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

cashew butter is sooo tasty, it feel like you are eating dessert it is rich and flavourful, i spread it on fruit and it feels like dessert.

what kind of fruit do you put it on?-nt new
      #295708 - 01/09/07 08:10 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#295722 - 01/09/07 09:11 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello, Personally I am C and still have to be careful with IF - I cannot have WW products at this time and stick to white french bread or pitas - also thinking of bread maker and making my own oatmeal bread. I miss ww bread terribly. I eat lots of pasta and rice and put steamed zuchinni (skin on) in it for my IF. I put chopped apples or peaches (skin on) in my oatmeal and it cooks up soft - tiny pieces. I eat cream of brown rice cereal and add blueberries and raspberries to a smoothie . I do strain out 1/2 of the skin and leave the remainder in there. I am very cautious with my IF as I seem to do MUCH better with SF however I do add it in everyday. I seem to eat alot of the same ones as I get attacks of trapped gas so easily from IF. The suggestion of nut butter is a good one as seeds are hard for me to digest. I have tried to go back to using some ground flax in my cereal but I think it is causing me distress. I am so ever sensitive and have to be really careful. Debbie IBS-C

#295723 - 01/09/07 09:20 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Also, I found that I could add frozen bluberries to hot tapioca pudding that I made and then I could manage the blueberries (IF). My tapicoa pudding recipe has not dairy or eggs. Debbie

Are you eating brown rice or white?-nt new
      #295731 - 01/09/07 10:13 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I try to eat both brown and white rice mixed or independent, depending on what accompanies them. n/t new
      #295743 - 01/09/07 11:11 AM
line415

--------------------

Re: Are you eating brown rice or white?-nt new
      #295758 - 01/09/07 01:16 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I only eat brown rice if I have a death wish. If I wish to be kind to my IBS tummy, then I stick with white rice ... specifically organic white Basmatic rice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2467

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review