All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Question: What Cereals Do You Eat
      #294628 - 12/26/06 11:17 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Or more broadly, what do you eat for breakfast?

I am tired of having Oat Bran with Applesauce BUT when I try and eat something different, normal cereal with water, I feel more bloated, with trapped gas much like when eating a bagel.

This occurs when I have cereal like fruit loops, cheerios, captin crunch.

I was wondering if you had any cereal that were tasty and safe, ones which would not cause bloating?

Further what do you have for breakfast?
I've tried dairy free waffles, they are alright.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question: What Cereals Do You Eat new
      #294630 - 12/27/06 03:53 AM
cloudidays

Reged: 12/10/06
Loc: Chicago,ILL

I eat rice chex with rice dream milk and mix in my acacia.
Sometimes I have an egg sandwich bread , Organic egg whites, Veginaise.

#294636 - 12/27/06 06:53 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I have oatmeal most often, sometimes with raisins or other dried fruit. Some variation of toast is my second favorite: toasted sourdough bread, bagels, english muffins. Usually, I just put some jam on them, but sometimes I get fancy and use almond butter or hummous. And if I want a real treat, I top my bagels with soy cream cheese and lox. I very rarely have cold cereal or eggs (whites only, of course).

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#294646 - 12/27/06 08:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I usually have oatmeal made with soy milk for breakfast with a few raisins or dried cranberries and half cup of canned peaches or pear thrown in.

When I eat cold cereal, it's the Malt-o-Meal versions of Capt. Crunch (don't remember the Malt-o-Meal name), Froot Loops (they call 'em Tooty Frooties), or Lucky Charms (Marshmallow Mateys). The Malt-o-Meal versions do not contain dairy.

#294652 - 12/27/06 08:40 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I eat oatmeal mixed with some kind of milk (substitute) and I add jam or cocoa and marshmallows to taste

I don't like applesauce to eat just like that so I don't eat it...

I used to love Kashi heart to heart cereal, but it has too much IF for breakfast I think... so I just stick to the oatmeal. Sometimes I toast a slice of bread and eat it with almond butter (very little) and jelly or jam or something like that.

How do you tolerate bananas? They are a great breakfast too.

#294658 - 12/27/06 09:10 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I usually either eat Quaker instant brown sugar oatmeal or a plain bagel.

A couple of days this week I've had "fried" egg whites and French bread. To make the eggs, I just put just a tiny bit of safe margarine in a non-stick skillet (or you could just use Pam) and pour in some egg whites and cook like a fried egg or omelet with a pinch of salt.

For cereal, I like Organic Kellogg's Rice Krispies (found in regular grocery store). I also occasionally eat generic fruit loops, Barbara's Bakery Honey Rice Puffins, or EnviroKidz Organic Koala Crisp (like cocoa krispies). I really don't eat cereal for breakfast much anymore, though, because I'm just not really crazy about eating it with soy or rice milk. Instead, I sometimes have a cup of dry cereal as a little snack.

#294664 - 12/27/06 09:32 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Rice Krispies, Lucky Charms, they should do?
Any reason why when I eat cereal with water I feel more bloated with trapped gas?

I thought it was due to artificial sweetners in the cereal or it being like processed bread, bagels.
Maybe Rice Milk would help?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294668 - 12/27/06 09:56 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I usually eat oatmeal (old-fashioned rolled oats) with fruit (blueberries if I can afford them) and soy milk.

Other things I eat that don't bother me are:

Pancakes - low-fat Bisquick, made with egg whites and soy milk

ONE egg, either scrambled or "fried" with just cooking spray, and a slice of toast with jam

Bagel with jam

Cereals - Honeycomb, Apple Jacks, Honey Bunches of Oats, Cocoa Pebbles, Corn Pops, Rice Crispies, any variety of Chex, any variety of Life, Cheerios, Corn Flakes - basically, I don't have problems with ANY cereals at all, although I don't eat the more IF cereals like shredded wheat, Grapenuts, or the fatty stuff like granola.

For all cereals, I use soy milk, but I also have used rice milk safely.

#294669 - 12/27/06 09:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Rice Krispies and Lucky Charms contain HFCS and/or oat bran or whole grains (IF). These are known to cause problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#294671 - 12/27/06 09:59 AM
Snorkie

Note that I said the Malt-o-Meal knock-off of Lucky Charms, that are called Marshmallow Mateys.

The Malt-o-Meal versions of the cereals I listed DO NOT contain dairy. The General Mills originals do (or did last I checked). I'm just trying to clarify because I don't want to screw anyone up!

As far as I know, the Malt-o-Meal versions don't contain artificial sweetners.

I don't know why cereal with water would make you feel more bloated.

HFCS,etc. new
      #294679 - 12/27/06 10:21 AM
Snorkie

It's one of those things that is a problem for some, but not all of us.

It is not a problem for me, and I stand by my original post. Naturapanic asked what we eat for breakfast. These are some of the things I eat that do not bother me.

However, more times than not, I eat old fashioned oatmeal, which is something else not everyone tolerates. That and rice were my safest foods for months. At this point, I'm stable, but I REALLY like my oatmeal, so I continue to eat it.

By the way, I also am great with quick oats. I just prefer the texture of the old fashioned variety.

#294684 - 12/27/06 10:44 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

One hard-boiled egg (now that I've stabilized I can have ONE)
Oatmeal or Cream of Rice
English muffin with Soy butter or a little bit of soy cream cheese
Quaker Oat Squares (my fav) and rice Chex with with Rice milk
Soy yogurt (I like Silk best) and a banana

If you're bloated after cereal, have you been tested for Celiac? There are a lot of people that have some of the IBS symptoms that can't tolerate gluten. Might want to check that out.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: HFCS,etc. new
      #294687 - 12/27/06 11:17 AM
Syl

I wasn't responding to your posting. I was responding to the comment that Naturapanic made "Rice Krispies, Lucky Charms, they should do?". Since Naturapanic is not stable then HFCS and many other possible triggers/irritants should be taken into consideration until stablility is reached.

I only eat oatmeal for breakfast.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#294690 - 12/27/06 11:54 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Rice Chex (dry) w/ toast, and a Luna Bar

Van's Wheat Free Blueberry Waffles (I'm not gluten-intolerant, I just think these taste better than the wheat ones.) w/ applesauce

Quaker's Instant Oatmeal (Cinnamon Roll flavor) w/ toast

Plain oatmeal w/ blueberries, toast

I like to eat my breakfast slowly, so I usually take an hour in the morning or I'll split it up into two meals. For example, if I get up at 7 am, I'll have a Luna Bar; then about an hour later, I'll have Rice Chex and toast. Sometimes I'll have ginger-lemon tea after breakfast if I'm feeling nauseated or hot chocolate almond milk if I just need some chocolate.

#294694 - 12/27/06 01:01 PM
Snorkie

Oh. I didn't realize that, Syl. No disrespect intended.

In response to his post about Lucky Charms, I clarified I meant a different brand's version.

However, I will still say that HFCS was never a problem for me personally. I realize we are not all the same and am only passing along my personal experience. Having followed the diet for almost two years now (with some experimentation, yes), I know my own body pretty well.

Edited by Snorkie (12/27/06 01:07 PM)

Re: Question: What Cereals/Lucky Charms/Snorkie new
      #294701 - 12/27/06 01:46 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Snorkie, I have a box of Lucky Charms name brand and I do not see in the ingredients any dairy mentioned, not do I see it in the cap'n crunch/name brand. Did I read your post wrong that you said they contain dairy?? Are the malt-o-? ones taste just as good. I do hate the fact frosted flakes has HFCS.........

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: Question: What Cereals Do You Eat/syl/lucky charms new
      #294702 - 12/27/06 01:51 PM
LtDanFan

Are the lucky charms in Canada different then U.S. my box does not list HFCS in the ingredients....just wondered

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#294704 - 12/27/06 01:56 PM
LtDanFan

I have oatmeal every single morning...I love it, but I do get tired of it. Wal-Mart sells the premeasured cups of Quaker brown sugar oat and I buy them, more convenient when I was working and was still in school, I would like to try something else, but I like getting my SF/IF in at breakfast and oats seems to be the only cereal to do that. I love lucky charms, coco puffs, honeycombs, cap'n crunch, rice chex, and grapenuts, but if I eat them I have 1/8 of a cup, 1/4 is a serving and it has 6gm of Fiber and I was told it's IF, but Barley is listed as a SF? so I'm not sure on that one....I did read that honey graham has dairy, I think, but if anyone shops at Target their brand name of cereal is good and very reasonably priced!!

--------------------

#294705 - 12/27/06 02:01 PM
Syl

Lucky Charms and Chocolate Lucky Charms don't have HFCS but they do have whole grains. Berry Lucky Charms contain HFCS. I wasn't sure which type of Lucky Charms you were referring to

When you ask a question it helps if can post the ingredients

--------------------

#294706 - 12/27/06 02:26 PM
Snorkie

Huh. I could have sworn the last time I looked at boxes of Capt. Crunch & Lucky Charms they both had some sort of dairy derivative it them. This would have been more than a year ago, though. Maybe they've changed?

Malt-o-Meal is less expensive and in the two varieties I mentioned, I can't taste the difference from the "real thing."

#294707 - 12/27/06 02:28 PM
LtDanFan

All I wanted to know was if lucky charms in Canada have HFCS, why would I post all the ingredients if all I wanted to know was if yours had HFCS? That was all I wanted to know. I didn't want to know all the ingredients

--------------------

#294708 - 12/27/06 02:31 PM
LtDanFan

I read and re-read, and didn't see any.....but at least I know the cheaper ones taste just as good!!! Now I won't have to find a Big Lots to get cheap name brand cereal. Yeah!!

--------------------

#294754 - 12/27/06 09:08 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Just a note about Rice Krispies. These may be fine for you, but they do contain HFCS. The organic version does not.

#294767 - 12/28/06 07:46 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

On workdays, mostly oatmeal (old-fashioned oats) with cinnamon and chopped walnuts or almonds. Sometimes a bagel with soy cream cheese.

On the weekends: pancakes, or maybe egg whites with toast and margarine (Smart Balance Light).

I'm not a good one to give advice on cereals... I seem to tolerate my favorites well, and they probably aren't ones considered generally safe. Notably, I often I eat cereal at dinner, rather than breakfast...it could be they are easier to tolerate after a day of eating other things and taking my SFS.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#294793 - 12/28/06 02:16 PM
Syl

Yea - fructose - the trigger in HFCS is interesting. In large enough amounts it produces IBS-like symptoms in almost everyone. The measured range of tolerance is quite wide. It ranges from below 5 grams (a bit more than a teaspoon) to more than 50 grams. The average soft drink contains 20-30 grams of HFCS.

The amount of HFCS in most cereals and sauces is probably not a problem for a large part of the IBS population. There is probably less than a teaspoon of HFCS in most single servings. On the other hand HFCS and carbonation in soft drinks are a problem for very many IBS suffers. Personally I can drink carbonated water with no difficulty but I cannot handle 1 gram of fructose in a single dose.

I find it interesting how wide the tolerances of individuals on this board are to the various triggers. Some of the foods that some stable people eat would put me in the hospital. On the other hand my tolerance for other triggers is higher. IBS seems like an endless balancing act

--------------------

my cereals new
      #295488 - 01/07/07 08:46 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i like slightly odd cereals from the HFS, i eat natures path millet rice oat flakes with bananas and rice milk, perky's brand nutty rice or flax(made with sorghum flour) natures path makes a wide variety of flaked cereals with all different grains etc. i also love oatmeal, barley flakes, etc prepared the same as oatmeal. always with fruit (bananas, blueberries, mango, strawberries etc and hemp muts, rice or almond milk.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review