All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I AM SOOO HUNGRY
      #294589 - 12/26/06 02:43 PM
Tawana

Reged: 12/26/06

I have looked over the things I can't eat, and they are the things I eat everyday, and it's scary. I am 29 years old, with 3 small children and I only weigh 125lbs. I am already insecure about my weight, and I think eating on the IBS diet will make me lose weight, and that is something that scares me. I want to feel better, but I also want to eat the things I love. I am sitting here right now hungry and scared to eat because of pain. I just am frustrated and feel like this is taking over my life, and I don't feel normal anymore, and wish this would just go away!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I AM SOOO HUNGRY new
      #294602 - 12/26/06 05:47 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You don't normally eat chicken, fish, potatoes, fruits, vegetables, and breads?
This diet really is not limiting. You need to eat SF foods before IF foods, and make sure the IF foods are well cooked or purred. If you are able to introduce red meat to your diet, it must be very lean cuts, small portions, and only eaten once in a while.

IBS Diet Cheat Sheet new
      #294603 - 12/26/06 05:54 PM
Gracie

Here's a link to the IBS Cheat Sheet

#294606 - 12/26/06 07:05 PM
Tawana

I eat chicken pretty much everyday, trying to avoid beef and pork, but I think mainly my problem is I overeat and eat all day. I have to admit I don't eat fruits, because I only like apples and bananas and that's it, so I just tend to not eat them at all. I just need to watch what I eat from now on, and that's what's so hard, because I am used to eating anything and everything I want.

#294607 - 12/26/06 07:09 PM
Gracie

Do you eat or drink dairy products? That's a big IBS trigger, and so is coffee.

#294609 - 12/26/06 07:21 PM
Tawana

Yes, I eat cheese at least 3 or 4 times a day. I love it. As far as milk, I dring lactose free milk, but I read that it didn't make a difference, because it would still make me sick.

For Tawana new
      #294611 - 12/26/06 07:29 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

As Gracie suggested, read over the guidelines and as much information as you can on this site (not the message boards...go to the main page and read all Heather's suggestions). You especially need to read about soluble and insoluble fiber, plus triggers for IBS. In the meantime, I would cut out the cheese and the milk and see if you feel any better for even a day. As you learn more about the diet, you can start a plan for how you might try eating to eliminate that pain. And yes, smaller meals definitely helps. I used to eat LARGE meals, and I am a small person so that was definitely my body saying, "hey...tooo much for me!" Everything might seem radical at first, but if once you learn about the diet and start to feel better, you'll realize that it is worth beating the pain. Good luck

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#294612 - 12/26/06 07:29 PM
Gracie

I know how you feel, I love cheese and milk too but that is something that has to go from your diet. You might see a lot of improvement of pain and gas from eliminating dairy.

#294614 - 12/26/06 07:40 PM
Tawana

Well, I read what is recommended, and I don't care for any of them, so how do I live a healthy lifestyle without dairy in my life for strong bones. I do take one a day for women, so I guess that will help a little.

Re: For Tawana new
      #294615 - 12/26/06 07:47 PM
Tawana

Thank you so much Gracie and line415 for all of your help, and I hope I didn't ask too many crazy questions, but I am just new with this, and finally seeing that it is a part of my life, and comes and goes. Also, I too am in shock, because I am used to shoving anything into my mouth, and now I have to watch that. Thanks sooo much, and I will read more of the guidelines than I have.

#294617 - 12/26/06 07:50 PM
Gracie

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk, and Rice Dream is very tasty, and both have calcium in it. They don't taste exactly like milk, but they're good and you get used to it. You can also take an additional calcium supplement to get your total daily recommended dose. Ultimately the decision is yours. You can either adjust how you get your calcium intake, or you can keep eating and drinking dairy products and probably continue to have pain, gas, and bloating.
I didn't want to give up my dairy either, I cut back, and used the lactose free versions but it didn't help.

#294618 - 12/26/06 07:56 PM
Gracie

You're welcome Tawana. Don't be scared off by the eating guidelines and restrictions. It may seem like a lot at first, but then you'll find that making the adjustments really isn't so bad.
Although most of the information on this website is in Heather's book IBS: The First Year, I find it easier to physically have the book for easy reference. If you're interested in buying it, you can buy it here online, on amazon, or you can sign it out at your local library. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

#294620 - 12/26/06 08:03 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

The information is overwhelming, I know, at first. And I LOOOVVVE food, including ice cream, pizza, donuts, etc...it feels quite discouraging when you read what you should NOT eat. I'm not saying I don't ever get annoyed that I can't eat something, but I feel so much better that it is worth it. And it is really worth it for you to at least try...not just for the IBS problems, but for your own health. Now when I see family members eating really greasy things or overindulging on sweets, I think, wow...that is so awful for their bodies. Remember that any diet, IBS or a "losing weight" diet is supposed to be a change in lifestyle and habits to become healthier and they all say that you can have "bad" things in moderation. That may not completely true of Heather's diet, since triggers should be eliminated, but some people, myself included, can handle a bite or two of a "forbidden" food just to take the edge off. And then the substitutions that Heather suggest really are not all that bad. I'm having a tough time really missing my milk in cold cereal, but I have enjoyed "fake" ice cream, sour cream, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, etc.. And I feel better that I am eating healthier foods.

You say you don't eat fruits...it will grow on you. Before I had my first child, I swear I just completely bypassed the produce isle, except to buy an occassional head of lettuce, cucumber, and tomato. Then I sort of "forced myself" to buy fruits and veggies for my kids' sake and now we NEVER run out. Of course I don't eat all of them myself, but my diet is much more well rounded. (If you do a "search" (at top of page) for "smoothies"...you might find a recipe that you like where you can eat that banana that you say you do like.

As far as strong bones go, you can do a search for "vitamins" or "nutrients" and see some discussion on that. Right now I am taking Caltrate for calcium but nothing else b/c I'm not sure what other vitamins my belly can handle yet.

I have been on this site since September and I can tell you that it is the best place I have ever found for two reasong:

1. The diet and acacia (I am IBS-predominatly diarreah), have made me feel better than I have EVER felt in my entire life physically.

2. The support of the people on this site who truly understand what I am going through has made me feel better than I have EVER felt in my entire life emotionally.

Welcome aboard. You will be pleasantly surprised by what you learn about your body, food, and so much more. (And after reading as much as you can and possibly buying the book, ASK AWAY on the boards because everyone is here to help you in this process when you are new.)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#294728 - 12/27/06 05:37 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hi, Tawana, and welcome to the boards.

There is actually some pretty solid research out there suggesting that animal-based dairy foods aren't necessary to a healthy diet, and that you can retain calcium by reducing your intake of animal foods. Here's one link, but there is a LOT of information out there--well worth the time, when you can fit it in, to study up on the subject.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/Info_on_Veg_Diets/milk.html

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: I can totaly relate to you! new
      #294947 - 12/30/06 10:48 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I was soooo scared when I started this diet because I already looked like a pregnant skelatin (I wasn't pregnant - just swolen from IBS)and if I eat too much at once I get cramps. So I took a tip from what I was doing for my own children and students (they are four) I make sure to eat every two hours. I eat until I start to feel like I'm going to be full and then I stop. But I make sure that two hours later I eat again. I have been on this diet for two and a half years and I have not lost weight. I feel so much better. Just start each meal or snack with a sf and you'll be fine. Make sure to keep a lunar bar in your purse in case you run into a food emergancy. And just talk to everyone on this site because it's an amazing support system. When I first started I was on this site three or four times a day. Good luck. Stay healthy!

#294949 - 12/30/06 11:41 PM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

I was overwhelmed as well by all of the restrictions at first as well. But as I started experimenting with different receipes (both from the EFI book and the boards) I started to see that there really are a lot of options available. It may be very different from what you currently eat, but you can make really good tasty food.

My husband has an iron stomach and can literally eat anything without feeling sick and he has loved almost all of the different dishes I've made. Since I'm in experimentation mode so much my diet is actually much more varied when I'm on the diet.

I fell off the wagon over the holidays and am not stable right now but I never felt better than when I was following the guidelines and I just try to focus on that to get myself motivated. Diet Coke is the hardest thing for me to resist but you do just have to make the decision to follow the diet and stick to it. It gets easier.

--------------------
Jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review