All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: yes, doing hypno, and question for all who responded new
      #294174 - 12/19/06 05:44 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

This is maybe not a direct answer to your question, but it's the way I approach "working through it", and I thought it might help.
It's not a win/lose, succeed/fail proposition. It's more like practicing a musical instrument to learn a new piece. You do it regularly, getting better at it over time until you get to the point where you play beautifully. Some days you may need to use the metronome or tap your foot or even count out loud, sometimes you might simply have an off day and not play very well at all. But you're still making progress nonetheless. Half the battle is just keeping up with the regular practice, no matter the obstacles that appear. There's a period of time during which the point isn't to play that piece perfectly, it's to practice that piece. If you just stick with it, you will arrive at the day you sit down and play that piece beautifully, with no mistakes, and you're having fun doing it.
I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

thanks Kenjari...excellent analogy n/t new
      #294178 - 12/19/06 08:06 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Feeling like you "failed" new
      #294198 - 12/20/06 07:55 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I wanted to respond to your statement that you feel like a "failure" if you take the Immodium. I went through this several times concerning different medications for ibs and my anxiety problems. I finally realized that if I had high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other chronic condition, I would take medication without any "shame" or "feelings of failure". We have a true disorder that sometimes requires medications to control so that we can have a full life. Please do whatever it takes for you to continue to be a big part of your son's and your own life and don't think twice about the diet and medications needed to achieve that.

Christy

Thank you Christie. I really needed to hear that. n/t new
      #294216 - 12/20/06 10:30 AM
line415

--------------------

#294220 - 12/20/06 11:35 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I don't know. I think the answer is like your approach to managing IBS -- it depends on you. I don't think that taking drugs to help you cope is "failing." Relying on drugs to "solve" the problem, without making the lifestyle and mental changes that will help you cope -- that would be failing. You are learning to manage your life and your body with IBS. In this case, you knew (somehow) that you could cope with this -- the stress and all -- without the drugs, and you succeeded. Other times, you may need the pharmaceutical help.

To me, the point isn't that you took the immodium or didn't. The point is that you went and participated in an event that stressed you out some -- but you did it anyway and coped with your body as well as you could.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Thanks Raksasi. I am so sincerely grateful for everyone on this website. n/t new
      #294249 - 12/20/06 05:24 PM
line415

--------------------

#294270 - 12/21/06 03:31 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Don't feel bad...the price went down $10-$20 a week or two right after I bought it! And stayed down! It must be a sign that it will work very well for you also!

If you feel you still need to take an imodium, then do it. I didn't stop right away, especially with certain situations. You do what you need to do. Eventually as you get more confident, try doing it without and you kinda "train" yourself to not depend on it. At least that's what worked for me.

I'm so glad I could help you decide to try hypno! I'll have to go back later and read the hypno boards to see how you're doing...right now gotta get ready for work!

Melissa new
      #294281 - 12/21/06 07:48 AM
line415

Thanks. I haven't posted much on the hypno board. Mostly I'm struggling with trying to "relax"...it's very early on, but a few days were great...I fell asleep within a little while. Other days, my mind is racing (as usual) and I am fighting those thoughts so that I can benefit from Mike's messages. Plus, you'll read about a few sleeping arrangments that are driving me nuts (ie., my husband!...tosses and turns, snores...I love him but!! ) So no changes yet at least that I'm aware of. Plus this holiday season has been crazy so after the new year hopefully the hypno will kick in with some calmer times. Thanks for the advice about the immodium. I have THREE family gatherings this weekend so I'm probably going to need it!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 883 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review