All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
So Once Again Another IBS Pill Fails
      #293943 - 12/17/06 11:22 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

My IBS symptoms, bloating, trapped gas, and c, continue to stay.

The best point I got to was last year, when I was taking Benefiber, Acidophillus, following Heather's diet, excerising, and having a lot of water.

Then I went and tried Dr. Natura, and it made things much worse, it took months to recover.

I then after testing for SIBO took Rifaxmin, no help.

I tried I a version of acupuncture, Tong Reng, no help.

I then was prescribed Zelnorm, this like the Dr. Natura made me feel much worse.
I felt bloated, trapped gas, and am now wondering how long the recovery of taking it for six days will take.
I only took it six days and have been off it four days and still am not recooped.

I'm wondering
1) What does this indicate about me since IBS treatments keep failing
2) What can I do and what direction should the treatment take considering:
-Dr. Natura and Zelnorm made things worse
-I responded best to Acidophillus, still taking it

1)Should I go to VSL and focus on the SIBO?
2) Focus on de stressing
3) Digestive Enzyme or Fennel?
4) Suggestions?

The IBS dr who is highly regarded thought since Rifaxmin didn't help and the SIBO tests are not strong indicators, that SIBO might not be connected to my symptoms, and it was best to try another path.
I am wonder what you think I should do?
Keep in mind I continue to follow the diet, exercise, along with gas-x and drink water.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So Once Again Another IBS Pill Fails new
      #293980 - 12/17/06 07:15 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

My gosh. I'm sorry I can't offer any help. I am very unfamiliar with a lot of the things you mentioned in your post, but I just wanted to offer my support and sympathy since I saw no one responded yet (boards slow on the weekned I guess). I've read some of your previous posts too...it sounds like you are really suffering and I admire your perseverence through all of this. Something's got to give and give you some relief eventually. I hope others can steer you in the right direction. Have a good night.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#293987 - 12/17/06 07:37 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

If you haven't tried the fennel for the gas and bloating, I definitely would - it's very effective.
I don't know much about SIBO, so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on that front.
Being less stressed is bound to have a positive effect, I think. Stress can be a significant trigger for me, and, frustratingly, I also find it very hard to perceive just how much it is affecting me.
HTH.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293996 - 12/17/06 07:52 PM
Naturapanic

I don't know what aspect to target and it's quite aggravtaing.
Thanks for your support.

I suppose I can try Fennel, but I hate tea and am not good at making it, what about Fennel seeds?
I don't know if they'll work, after all, I take Acadia, and that's nothing special at 3 tablespoons a day.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294008 - 12/18/06 05:39 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

You can chew the seeds, and I think you also can get capsules at a HFS. I haven't tried capsules, but I have chewed the seeds and it works pretty well.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Back to basics new
      #294041 - 12/18/06 08:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You have sure had your share of problems. When I get into difficult situations like yours I drop back to my basic diet and stick with it until the problems subside. The recommendation on this web site is to use the break the cycle diet.

Personally what I would do is stop all SFS, digestive aids and probiotics and stay strictly on the break the cycle diet until stable. I find that many SFS, digestive enzymes and probiotics give me gas and bloating.

The diet I use to break my cycle is oatmeal with fruit (no milk of any kind) for breakfast and chicken breast with white rice and boiled carrots for lunch and supper. I am IBS-A with mostly D. Some people IBS-C claim that rice makes them more C and they have to add some IF. Once stable you can start to introduce other foods and aids one at a time until you understand what you can and cannot tolerate.

There aren't any quick fixes; there isn't a magic pill or potion. The only solution is patience and strict - very stick - control over your diet. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Back to basics new
      #294104 - 12/19/06 12:03 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks.
The bloating has gotten VERY bad in recent days.
I am moving and had a few beers with my friends, only a few, I am wondering if this justa few beers could have bloated for days.
Is this possible?

Again your recommendation is to diet temporarily hard, and get fennel.
How long a recovery are we talking, and why is it again something that is supposed to help, Zelnorm, goes afoul?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294179 - 12/19/06 10:31 PM
Naturapanic

?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294183 - 12/20/06 04:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your questions can be answered by reading the material on the website carefully and by searching the messages that have been posted in the past.

You need to take very strict control of you diet probably for the rest of you life. It is a hard lesson to learn but one that well worth learning. It will save you lots of pain and discomfort.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#294190 - 12/20/06 06:35 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Yes - just a few beers can leave you bloated for days. I would recommend cutting out all alcohol.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#294205 - 12/20/06 08:28 AM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

I love your comment about GI physicians!
G

#294441 - 12/22/06 09:47 PM
Naturapanic

I actually have begun to feel better in the last few days.
The pharmacists told me that a bad reaction is commonfold with Zelnorm.
I also resumed taking Miralax.
I started at one scoop, increased am now at two scoops, and will keep adding.

I wanted to know, have any of you tried Miralax?
What has been your experiences?

What about beer and alcohol, is there anyway you can blance IBS while occasionally getting drunk, letting loose, with your friends?
This has been particularly hard for me with IBS, I find it has isolated me and kept me from doing what I like best, watching TV and having a cold drink.
Is there anyway to balance IBS and drinking safely and fun?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294454 - 12/23/06 07:56 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Alcohol is a trigger and that can't be changed. Some day you might be able to have a drink occassionally, but don't over do it like getting drunk. But if just having 1 is giving you a lot of grief, then you need to stay away from it. If your friends were truly your friends they would understand and not make you feel isolated, or pressured to drink to have a good time.

Re: Alcohol new
      #294455 - 12/23/06 08:00 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

In a word, NO!!! Surely there is a way to hang out with friends and not drink. I do it often. I have a group of friends that like to drink and I have never had a problem having a great time hanging out with them and not drinking.I also usually get them all home safely!! As a matter of fact, I have seen a lot of my non IBS friends end up with IBS like problems the night of and day or two after such drinking. So, if "normal" tummies can't handle such drinking, why would you want to subject your sensitive tummy to such treatment. Give it up and you will see a huge difference. It will be totally worth it and if your friends have a problem--get new friends.

Christy

I'd watch the amount of Miralax you are taking. new
      #294463 - 12/23/06 10:12 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

2 full doses already is probably the limit. I don't think I would increase anymore until checking with the pharmacist to make sure it is okay!!

If you do a search on Miralax, you'll get a lot of info from others who have taken or are currently taking it.

As for the "need for a cold drink".....only you are letting it isolate yourself. And nobody "needs" a cold beer!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I'd watch the amount of Miralax you are taking. new
      #294565 - 12/25/06 11:37 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

2 full doses already is probably the limit. I don't think I would increase anymore until checking with the pharmacist to make sure it is okay!!

If you do a search on Miralax, you'll get a lot of info from others who have taken or are currently taking it.

As for the "need for a cold drink".....only you are letting it isolate yourself. And nobody "needs" a cold beer!

Doc said I could up to 4.
What's the harm?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Miralax dose new
      #294572 - 12/26/06 07:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If you trust your doc, then by all means go by what he/she says! I would still ask a pharmacist for their opinion, though, just to get a second "professional" opinion.

I would just be afraid of taking so much of any medicine. Our bodies are so fragile.

How much are you taking now? And how are you feeling on this amount? The more I take, the more gas and bloat I get...and the stools are very loose, thin, and incomplete, neverending all day long.

Do you take an SFS in addition to the Miralax? You are not happy with just the SFS?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review