All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is this ok? (Organic soy dessert)
      #293885 - 12/16/06 10:08 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I found something called Provamel soy dessert in the store today. It's organic and as far as I can tell it contains no triggers. But maybe you can help me double check?

Ingredients:

Water, sugar, peeled soy beans, wheat starch, fat reduced cocoa, maltodextrine, carragena (it says it's some form of alga and it's used as a stabilizing agent), natural cocoa extract and sea salt.

The fat content is 15.5 E%.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sounds safe to me! new
      #293905 - 12/16/06 01:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...unless you have a history of allergies to or problems with carrageenan (carragena), which does come up occasionally, but isn't necessarily common... so I'd say give it a try.

Thanks new
      #293907 - 12/16/06 01:26 PM
Ulrika

There aren't that many store bought snacks/desserts that meet the EFI standard (at least not in Sweden), so I will definitely give it a try.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Is this ok? (Organic soy dessert) new
      #294005 - 12/18/06 05:28 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Anything with carragenean is not suppose to be that great. Use in moderation. and if its towards the last ingredient, I wouldnt worry about it.

What is wrong with carrageene? new
      #294015 - 12/18/06 06:11 AM
Ulrika

Quote:

Anything with carragenean is not suppose to be that great.

Not supposed to be that great because of what?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: What is wrong with carrageene? new
      #294024 - 12/18/06 07:01 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART00680
I like Dr. Weil and I take his most of his advice. This article just says what to avoid. No reasons given except it should be eliminated from your diet. Most soy products have caragenean in it. I beleive its what makes the consistancy of the food smooth or creamy textured. Hope it helps.
Jo

Ok, I need more info and comments on this!!! Please help! :) new
      #294027 - 12/18/06 07:18 AM
Ulrika

I've checked out the web page given by Joannelcoq above, and yes it seems this Dr Weil (that I have never heard of before) says you should avoid things containing carrageene. But then again he also says:

"Eat lots of whole grains"

which all of us that follow the EFI clearly think is a really bad idea!!!

So I'd like to hear from everyone and anyone who has input on this. Scientific info or personal experience about this?

Thanks!

(It's so annoying. It's so hard to find stuff in the stores in Sweden, that follow the EFI rules. It seems that everything contains at least one thing that at least some people warn you about. I had looked forward to trying this dessert, but now I'm not sure I dare to do that this close to Xmas and all as I have to be able to go home to my parents for Xmas and New Year's and I really want to be well and be able to enjoy myself and relax.)

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Ok, I need more info and comments on this!!! Please help! :) new
      #294037 - 12/18/06 07:43 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do fine with carrageenan as a food additive. I'm sure you'll hear from other people but you can also do a Search - carrageenan pops up from time to time on the Diet Board.

Dr. Weil is a big-deal alternative medicine guru in the States. I don't know much about his advice for other conditions, but his advice with regard to IBS seems to parallel Heather's in most respects except, of course, for the Insoluble Fiber thing: lots of whole grains, flax seed, Metamucil. It's clear he is fully committed to Insoluble Fiber with no consideration of whether an IBSer is primarily C or D and with no consideration of the role of Soluble Fiber. Sadly, that says to me that he doesn't really understand IBS very well - and certainly doesn't suffer from it himself. (Oh, and I'm not too sure about his whole slippery elm thing, either. Or the carob powder.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (12/18/06 07:48 AM)

Re: Ok, I need more info and comments on this!!! Please help! :) new
      #294101 - 12/18/06 09:00 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Hi,

How do you know if you have an allergy to carrageenan? Or problems with carrageenan? I have discomfort or pain for hours every day but have no idea if I have any problems with carrageenan and wouldn't know how to tell unless the symptoms were different from what I currently experience.

I don't trust Dr. Weil too much b/c of his information on the IF's...yeah right! Like that's going to help us IBSers.

Re: Ok, I need more info and comments on this!!! Please help! :)
      #294102 - 12/18/06 11:25 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Carageenan is one of those things that I will avoid when reasonably easy to do (by buying alternative products without carageenan when possible), but it is not something that I worry about completely eliminating. I don't know if I actually have a problem with it or not, but I avoid overdoing it since others have mentioned possible sensitivities to it and since it doesn't really seem to be a "natural" thing to eat. The only way to really know if it is a problem for you is to try incorporating it a little at a time and seeing how it affects you.

Keep in mind, though, you'll find that it is a common ingredient in most non-dairy alternatives (soy milks, soy or rice cheeses, etc.) as well as so many other common products, and I think most IBSers do just fine with these foods. Try not to let yourself get overly worried or paranoid about things like this. I know it's hard when you see someone say it is a bad thing, but it is not on the list of triggers. It is just something that some people may be sensitive to... not something that is a common trigger for an attack. Also, how many people here actually KNOW that they have had a legitimate problem with it? Probably not very many... maybe a handful. You'll also find the same thing with almost any other food or ingredient you search. I've seen people post that they are sensitive to small quantities of garlic, soy, cooked SF veggies, even rice - all of which are staples in my diet and have made it possible for me to stabilize. Just because it is mentioned by a couple of people doesn't mean it has to be a problem for you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4859 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3223

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review