All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Special diet for "backed up intestines"? Sorry if TMI.
      #293702 - 12/14/06 03:21 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I saw the Dr today about the nonstop pain in my right side (3 days in a row, and about 2 wks off/on before that). He said my intestines are backed up, he actually said "you're literally full of crap". Nice huh? I guess he was just trying to be funny, but I didn't laugh. He told me to take magnesium citrate & stay home from work tomorrow. But he didn't really say much else. Do I need to eat anything or avoid anything specific until I'm better? And is this a common thing for IBS sufferers? This is the first time I've had it, but the Dr implied it was caused by my IBS & is completely normal. I've been careful w/my diet, no cheating. More sweets than usual, but no trigger foods. I've been having bm's, no changes that I noticed. He really left me kinda confused.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Special diet for "backed up intestines"? Sorry if TMI. new
      #293713 - 12/14/06 04:30 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I feel your pain - literally!! That is how my IBS was first diagnosed. My husband drove me to the University health clinic; I was doubled over with abdominal pain. A week before a doctor had told me to "eat yogurt". Obviously that didn't solve the problem, and I finally gave up. Anyway, I was in so much pain, and crying, and that really got the doctors' attention. They took an x-ray and found exactly what you described. I, too, was told to hit the laxatives and stay home. If I were you, I'd revert to the "break the cycle" diet for a few days. Milk of Magnesia might be a good place to start to get the ball rolling!

I do hope you feel better. I understand completely how utterly painful that is!!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#293719 - 12/14/06 04:39 PM
littlelani

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was getting hungry but I was afraid to eat until I knew what I should have! Dinnertime! This really does suck. But having this website & people who understand makes it easier to cope.

--------------------

So, is this the first time this has happened to you? How long have you had IBS? n/t new
      #293724 - 12/14/06 04:55 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#293727 - 12/14/06 05:06 PM
gabriella

Reged: 12/14/06
Loc: Maryland

i just joined this message board - found out yesterday that i have this c---y disease!! i got my rx yesterday, felt fine this moring, no horrible stomach pain until i ate pizza.....looking at the list of foods i can eat, do i now become a vegitarian??

--------------------
Gabriella

I was diagnosed in January of this year & yes 1st time -nt- new
      #293729 - 12/14/06 05:09 PM
littlelani

--------------------

Re: I was diagnosed in January of this year & yes 1st time -nt- new
      #293741 - 12/14/06 06:50 PM
hohoyumyum

That you've never had this happen before is a red flag to me. And if your having normal BMs it seems like either this shouldn't have happened because you're not backed up or it should happen more frequently because your not eliminating enough waste in general. Though I'm a D and I've never had to worry about or deal with blockages so I'm certainly no expert in this area. I'd get a second opinion on this. Did your doc actually check anything or run any tests or did he just immediately put the blame on IBS? Sadly, in our health care system, if we don't force our doctors to explore all possibilities we can end up in a nasty situation. Keep us posted on this. And don't feel hesitant about getting yourself a new doc if yours is leaving you confused and your questions unanswered.

--------------------

You'll get more responses to this if you list it as a seperate posting. new
      #293742 - 12/14/06 06:54 PM
hohoyumyum

You don't have to become a vegetarian, though you certainly can if you want. Chicken, turkey, and fish can all be eaten safely on the EFI diet. Make sure you base your meals on potato, pasta, bread (sourdough and french are best), and white rice. If you have favorite foods, post on the recipe board asking how to modify those recipes to accommodate IBS. You'll find all kinds of great ideas on here and be sure to use the search engine to look up questions you have as many things have been discussed a number of times.

--------------------

Tests new
      #293760 - 12/15/06 04:42 AM
littlelani

He did an x-ray, some blood tests, & a stool test for parasites (at my request). The x-ray is what showed the blockage, the blood tests were all fine, and I'm still waiting on the results from the stool test. I'm happy to say that the pain has subsided somewhat, it's still there, just not as bad. But I'm still confined to the house for the duration, fun fun.

--------------------

Re: Tests new
      #293909 - 12/16/06 01:29 PM
hohoyumyum

I'm glad to hear that he ran tests. Some doctors will dismiss IBS patients without much concern. And it's good to hear that the pain has gone away a bit. I hope you're feeling better soon.

--------------------

#293917 - 12/16/06 03:43 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Have you tried hot liquids, like non-caffinated teas (chamomile, peppermint, liqorice, etc.), and strenuous excerise for at least fifteen minutes or so? I find that they definitely do help me when I'm having discomfort. I also take roasted garlic, because garlic is loaded with potassium, which is responsible for muscle contractions (but don't take too much!)
I really hope that you feel better soon!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4069 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review