All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rapeseed vs canola vs sunflower oil
      #293673 - 12/14/06 11:28 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

We don't have canola oil in Sweden. I saw in my First Year IBS book (I have the UK version) that the recipes say to use sunflower oil. In the EFI book it says canola, so I guess the reason for the sunflower oil suggested is that canola is not available in Europe. But I don't like sunflower oil because it is the least heat stable oil as far as I know. I use regular rapeseed oil instead and it always tastes good so... I know that canola is special in that it contains less of a particular acid but why does that matter? I don't want to have to change oils since I like rapeseed oil and it is also environmentally good since it comes from the area where I live.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rapeseed vs canola vs sunflower oil new
      #293675 - 12/14/06 11:45 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Canola oil and rapeseed oil are the same thing. The name for the oil was changed in North America because of the more common meaning of the word "rape". (However, the etymologies for "rape" and "rapeseed" are very different. "Rape" and "rapeseed" are only related by sound and spelling, not by meaning or connotation.)

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293676 - 12/14/06 11:45 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I believe canola and rapeseed are essentially the same thing. You should be fine with the rapeseed.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#293677 - 12/14/06 11:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Erucic acid found in rapeseed and and less so in canola oil is only mildly toxic to humans in large amounts. In the UK I used rapeseed oil from time to time and in Canada I use canola oil periodically. Neither oil gives me any problems, however, generally speaking I use olive oil even in my stir fry meals.

FYI - The plant breeding of that produced low erucic acid rapeseed used for canola oil was done at the Agriculture Canada and the National Research Council institutions in my home city

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#293678 - 12/14/06 12:17 PM
Syl

I believe that Canola oil is slightly different than rapeseed oil. By definition Canola oil has to have less that 2% erucic acid and the solid components of the seed must contain less than a certain amount of other ingredients (glucosinolates). Rapeseed oil does not have the same stringent requirements.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Thanks new
      #293683 - 12/14/06 01:03 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

That's good - that I can continue to use my rapeseed oil.

I like olive oil too but not in baked stuff as it has too distinct a taste for that I think, so there I really prefer rapeseed oil.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Thanks new
      #293686 - 12/14/06 01:11 PM
Syl

I had the same problem when I first started using olive oil. Last year I found an extra light olive oil that has a less distinctive flavour. In fact, I find that when it is slightly warmed it has a light butter like-flavor.

Good luck with your rapeseed oil.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4297

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review