All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Yummy restaurant!
      #293585 - 12/13/06 10:16 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I just rediscovered a very yummy and safe restaurant tonight. I'd been there before, but had forgotten about it since changing my diet and eliminating so many restaurants. It's called Genghis Grill, and it's a make-your-own stir-fry place. It's SO cool. You go through the line like you would at a salad bar and fill up your little bowl with whatever you want... meats (beef, chicken, ham, pork, shrimp, scallops, crab meat, tofu, and several others), veggies (carrots, potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, bamboo sprouts, white or green onions, broccoli, green beans, and lots more), etc. Then you top it with any seasonings you might want and choose a sauce (teriyaki, ginger, citrus, bbq, etc.) and squirt the amount you want into a little cup. Then the dude takes your bowl and sauce cup and you tell him what kind of starch you want (various types of rice and noodles) and they cook it for you on this big huge grill thing (kinda like a hibachi, but more like a stone).

I got shrimp, tofu, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, and potatoes with a little salt and teriyaki sauce. I chose the steamed rice. It was SOOO good!!!

My husband got beef, chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, bamboo sprouts, green onions, mushrooms, and I don't remember what else, all cooked in super-spicy sauce. He was wiping the sweat from his brow.

It is so rare to find a really yummy restaurant that we both love. This was great!! I was able to completely choose every single item that went into my meal. How rare is that?! I hadn't been there in over a year and had almost completely forgotten it existed. What a great re-discovery!!! They have several locations scattered around the U.S. If there's one near you, you should definitely check it out!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wow that's cool new
      #293590 - 12/14/06 04:15 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I still haven't been to a restaurant since I seriously began following the EFI diet. I am starting to feel more comfortable with other people preparing my food though, at friends' et.c. Last Saturday I went to my sister's birthday party and she had catered food and man - they (the caterers) were clueless. I had told them I needed food that was not too spicy, that I needed dairy free low-fat stuff et.c. (And the other rules.) Guess what? The ingredients were fine (potatoes, red beets, carrots and chicken) but I got no sauce because my sister had ordered an avocado that I could mash up myself but they had brought only one! (Even non-restaurant people know to buy more than one avocado because they can be bad without it showing on the outside.) Of course the avocado was bad and they had thrown it away. And they hadn't used any spices at all!!! I find it shocking that restaurant people can't make nice food for people with special requests... Anyway, I got a nice dessert that I had specifically told them about and the whole point was that I actually got to be there at all so it was fine, but still...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Yummy restaurant! new
      #293600 - 12/14/06 05:27 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

There's a place like that in Boston called Fire and Ice. They have a location downtown and one in Harvard Square.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293644 - 12/14/06 08:44 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Oh, yeah, that's a mongolian grill! I love them.

The first time I was in one was actually in Belleview (for all those living in the Seattle area) but I don't know where it was, because it was my first time in that town and we were with friends.

There are pleny of them, though. We have one in the next-door mall food court.

They are cool, because they don't really stirr fry, they more like cook on a huge heated disk and pour water to cook with (sometimes soy sauce, but usually no MSG in it).

The story is that when Ghengis Chan and his warriors were away to fight, they were out of food. And they had killd everyone around (and had no women with them), so there was noone to get to get them food. So, they went and collected whatever they could -- some killed birds, animals from the woods, collected vegetables. They made huge fires and put their shields over them, with the food on the shields, and with the swords, they cut everything in small pieces and cooked it like that (on the shields).

So, the huge disks are sort of like the shields, and the cooks at the Mongolian Grills hold two sticks (resembling swords) with which they move the food around.

That's what our friends told me when they showed us the place in Belleview.

Re: Wow that's cool new
      #293707 - 12/14/06 03:39 PM
Julie E

When I go out to eat, I have found that it's much easier to request a specific dish rather than explain all my dietary limitations. For example, I might ask for grilled chicken cooked with no butter or oil (or maybe just a spray of oil) and no seasonings except salt and garlic (or whatever you prefer). Also, I ask that the veggies be prepared the same way... no butter or oil and no seasonings except salt (or whatever). I have found that the restaurants are much more accomodating when I ask for something specific like this rather than trying to tell them all the details of what I can and can't have (ultra low-fat, no dairy, no spicy stuff, etc.) and hoping they can figure all that out and come up with something yummy and safe. Granted, this may not be a very adventurous way to dine out, but I prefer to be more adventurous when I'm the one cooking and can monitor what is going into my food!

#293708 - 12/14/06 03:40 PM
Julie E

Cool story! The food really was so good, and I love that you have so much control over what you're eating and how much. I was able to really load up on the things I wanted and didn't have to worry about unsafe things I needed to pick out or anything like that. Great experience!

#293710 - 12/14/06 04:18 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh yes... there are several different names of that kind of restaurant in Seattle... Chang's Mangolian Grill has a few locations... here is a pic of the guy at work!! hehehe

and here is a link to the " Food Bar Menu "

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#293754 - 12/14/06 08:40 PM
Julie E

Yum! This thread makes me hungry every time I read it!

Re: Yummy restaurant!
      #293761 - 12/15/06 05:48 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

This sounds so cool! Does anyone know if there are any restaurants like that around the Charlotte/Metrolina area in NC? I searched online, but all I came up with is a list of restaurant names, nothing says "make-your-own".

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

search mongolian grill
      #293762 - 12/15/06 06:01 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

so far i have found that virtually all cities have some form of mongolian grills,so if you search that name things should come up. In calgary we have at least two that i have been to, onw is called the mongolian grill, the other is called Kubblah's.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7273

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review