All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fat content in Heather's breads and cakes
      #293442 - 12/13/06 09:25 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I saw that Heather says that some of her breads are ok when you start to add stuff in after the BTC diet. But when I've checked my EFI book it seems they are pretty high in fat. Does anyone else think so too? I think they have a fat % similar to what I would find acceptable for desserts and even then I would only take a small portion after a safe meal.

And when it comes to desserts the almond cherry cake has almost 50 % of the calories from fat and Heather says she's even had it for breakfast! I guess she must have been really stable then! She also calls this low fat. Am I right to assume that should be interpreted as low fat compared to other similar cakes and not as just low fat? The actual amount of fat per serving isn't too far from the ones in the cakes I find ok, but if it's the calory % that is interesting then I guess you'd really need a superlow fat meal first in order for that cake to be safe. Or have I misunderstood something here?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fat content in Heather's breads and cakes new
      #293458 - 12/13/06 10:24 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

No, you haven't misunderstood something. It's a puzzlement to me, too. Like you, I find higher fat items perfectly fine for dessert - and even for an afternoon snack - but definitely not first thing in the morning. I do fine with the Brown Sugar Banana Bread first thing in the morning and I've posted a modification to the Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread in the Recipe Index that gets the fat percent down below 25% ( web page). Fifty percent of calories from fat for breakfast would definitely do me in, though.

PS - It's good to see you again.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (12/13/06 10:24 AM)

Thanks -nt- new
      #293465 - 12/13/06 10:52 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: Fat content in Heather's breads and cakes new
      #293561 - 12/13/06 07:35 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Hey there Sand. Great adjustment to the recipe. I just made 2 batches of her pumpkin apple spice bread and love it but knew I could not keep eating it due to fat issues. I love her bread recipes and use them as staples. I initially lost about 8 pounds when I first was sick but now I have put back on some of the weight, which is great and the bread helped. Thanks for the adjustment to the recipe, I am most definitly going to use it.

Sufie

Glad you found it helpful. It tastes the same to me. -nt- new
      #293621 - 12/14/06 07:19 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Glad you found it helpful. It tastes the same to me. -nt- new
      #293654 - 12/14/06 09:37 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Have you thought about replacing even more of the oil with something like apple sauce?? Do you think that would be weird?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Glad you found it helpful. It tastes the same to me. new
      #293661 - 12/14/06 09:57 AM
Sand

If I were going to replace more of the oil I'd just use more pumpkin. The principle is the same and I'd rather it taste more pumpkin-y rather than more applesauce-y. Although, since there are apples in it, applesauce would probably work, too.

I just wanted to get the percent of calories from fat below 25 so I'm happy with it the way it is. But if you decide to go lower and it still tastes good, please do post what you substituted and how much. After all, every gram of fat saved in bread means another gram of fat available for a really gooey dessert.

--------------------

Re: Glad you found it helpful. It tastes the same to me. new
      #294138 - 12/19/06 08:17 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I followed Sand's suggestion and increased the pumpkin. I think I like it BETTER than the original recipe! (Sorry, Heather!) It tastes the same, but the bread is more firm, but definitely not dry. Perhaps being at a high altitude has something to do with it, too. I think I'll make more next week, and try subbing in some applesauce for more of the oil...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review