All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy "meat" products: detail question
      #293434 - 12/13/06 09:05 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I find that all soy meat products in Sweden contain hydrolyzed "this and that" protein. Is that ok to eat? It's really hard to find good meat replacements here as I have yet to find a health food store in this town and regular stores only carry soy and quorn and it's even worse for cheese et.c. There is only one brand of soy cheese here and it seems to contain lots of weird stuff and it looks absolutely awful so I've never tasted it... There are no almond or rice substitutes for cheese here.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy "meat" products: detail question new
      #293441 - 12/13/06 09:19 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hydrolized soy protein is thought to be a synonym of MSG, so that may be a problem. I would still try them and see how you do, trial-and-error style.

What are you trying to replace? For burgers I buy chicken or turkey burgers, for hot dogs I get turkey hot dogs (make sure they have no pork), and for ground meat I usually get ground chicken breast. I have tried some soy 'ground round' but didn't really like the taste. I have had veggie patties at a vegetarian friend's bbqs, and they were pretty good both for taste and IBS.

As for cheese, unfortunately I have never found a good replacement. Either they still contain dairy derivatives, or they simply taste awful. Maybe someone else will be able to suggest something.

--------------------
Kat

#293443 - 12/13/06 09:29 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I'd like to replace meat balls (a very big thing in Sweden as you probably know if you've ever seen the "Swedish chef" from the Muppets ), burgers, hot dogs and minced meat mainly.

I find the turkey hot dogs have paprika seasoning and since I generally try to avoid that I haven't dared to try any of those now that the IBS has been a bit more up and down. Some just say they contain seasoning, and then it's hard to know what it is...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#293448 - 12/13/06 09:47 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Ah meatballs. I found a good turkey meatball here in Canada but unfortunately I don't know any in Europe. There are however a few recipes on the recipe index for meatballs:
Fiesta Meatballs, Low-fat turkey meatballs, sweet and sour meatballs, TVP meatballs

--------------------
Kat

#293449 - 12/13/06 09:48 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i would suggest you buy a cookbook like how it all vegan, etc they contain recipes for making your own meat replacements like seitain all sorts of different flavours, it is made from gluten flour and not soy, they have tons of recipes fvor marinating tofu, etc, generally the store bought meat replacements with the hydrolyzed stuff is full of junk, one exception is the tofurky brand of sausages and lunch type meats, they are made with tofu and not hydrolyzed soy protein, they are a pretty stand up company.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review