All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HFS in Brentwood NY?
      #293404 - 12/13/06 05:32 AM
hazlbezl

Reged: 02/11/05

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone on here is from the Brentwood NY area and would know where a health food store is around there.
My cousin lives in Brentwood and her 1 year old son has a horrible dairy allergy. She can't find dairy free foods he can eat that are easy (2 kids, work, school) at the regular grocery store (and we all know how hard that can be at first!)
I know this isn't a specific IBS question (that's my problem, not his), but I thought someone on here might know the area?
Thanks for any help you can give!-Sarah

Edited by hazlbezl (12/13/06 06:04 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HFS in Brentwood NY? new
      #293410 - 12/13/06 06:16 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Im on Long Island as well. You will find dairy free foods at Fairway Market in Plainview and any Trader Joes. All large supermarket chains will carry it as well like super Stop n Shop.

#293411 - 12/13/06 06:17 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Does she go to school or work some other place on Long Island? Maybe search for a grocery store there?

The only health food store I know of is the Union Square Whole Foods in NYC but that's far for her, assuming she doesn't work/study here (NYC). There's also a Trader Joes, in the same area...

The "easy to prepare" foods in HFS's are rather expensive, though, thus I'd try cooking quick things myself. I have no idea what one year olds eat to be able to give any practical advice... My husband and I usually have a batch of rice cooked (sits in fridge) and I just toss some veggies and sometimes chicken or turkey, so a meal is ready within 5-10 minutes, where I cook the rice separately usually on the weekend. We also make mashed potatoes from a package (that has no added fat or dairy), you can make it with rice milk and water, and some other oil, not dairy butter. Mashed potatoes take even less time than rice-with-whatnot. Also, we eat sandwiches often.

Sorry if none of these make sense for a 1 year old...

Hope you find a HFS. But again, things there are rather expensive compared to regular prepared/packaged foods...

--J, IBS-C

#293594 - 12/14/06 05:16 AM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

There is a place in Sayville, NY called Cornucopia Natural Foods. It's on Main St in Sayville; they also have Heather's Product line and books....

Hope this helps!

#293640 - 12/14/06 08:09 AM
hazlbezl

Reged: 02/11/05

Thanks for the suggestions! I think NYC is a bit too far, but I'll try the other place. I've been mailing her stuff, but I can't send enough for the little guy, and it's getting pricey!

Thanks again!-Sarah

#293886 - 12/16/06 10:08 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

Hi Sarah,
I live on the North Shore of Long Island I can find most of what I need at Wild By Nature in Setauket and Trader Joe's in Smithhaven.

Regards,
Rosanne

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review