All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how long on breaking the cycle diet.
      #293333 - 12/12/06 03:52 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

in my previous post i said that i have tried the breaking the cycle diet. i usually get through two days have great movements, no pain, and virtually no gas. as soon as i add anything else, i have a bad night. i get throught it now with bentyl and am up to only 1 tsp of benefiber powder a day so maybe i seriously have to keep that up. can you take the benefiber even after a bad night? I keep stopping the soluble fiber because i think when i increase it is why i have an attack. what does everyone else think.

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how long on breaking the cycle diet. new
      #293336 - 12/12/06 04:04 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The key is to add foods one at a time. Add one food, two days later if you are feeling ok, add another. When adding IF, try having it in the safest way first, this means purreed or softly cooked. Also try adding it in small amounts spread out through the day, after a good SF base.

I would continue increasing the fiber supplement. Usually people are ok with Benefiber, but if you feel it is giving you problems, maybe try switching to Acacia.

Also, lots of peppermint or fennel tea can help you through the tough days.

--------------------
Kat

#293340 - 12/12/06 04:25 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

thanks for the reply. i think i just get bored with the foods and try adding too much too fast. i ahve a family to feed and we eat a lot of pizza and this is hard to resist. it has been hard to come up with things to eat when you have to cook, work, etc. i cant have peppermint tea cause of GERD, even though it works wonderfully. i have used fennel seeds from spice jar 1 tsp in boiled water. i dont like chamomile. is fennel tummy tea better, loose tea or packets?

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

#293342 - 12/12/06 04:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Fennel tea is great, I don't think there's much difference between pack or loose. I also have just eaten the seeds before, and that seems to work as well.

It takes a while to get used to the diet and get ideas for suppers and stuff. One year ago I did the BTC diet, stabilized, and slowly incorporated foods. Now I'm finally at a point where I feel like my diet is full of variety, and I have a few different safe dinners that are good enough for the whole family. I'm still working on expanding my cooking, but that's just because I'm a bit lazy.

One thing I would suggest is really getting variety in SF foods, so you don't get as bored. Sweet potato, squash (great in winter), zucchini, mushrooms, applesauce, bananas, carrots, rice, pasta, white breads (sourdough gives some more flavour), oatmeal (comes in many flavours), avocado, mango etc. These are foods you can eat on the BTC diet, while you try out new IF foods and safe meats slowly.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2988 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 450

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review