All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bottled water
      #293279 - 12/12/06 08:23 AM
Quietseraph

Reged: 12/05/06

I have been drinking nothing but bottled water since I have had this ongoing attack of what my family doctor thinks may be IBS. I have tried Aquafina and Poland Springs and both seem to make my mouth/tongue burn. I checked the Ph of them and they seem to be acid- 5.5
I don't know if this could be irritating my insides or not or if I am just imagining it. I am constantly bloated and the fennel nor the ginger helps any longer (I make these with the same water.) I think the water may have been the problem with Acacia Fiber and not the Acacia itself??? Even our tap water (with a Pur water filter attached) does it to me. Help! I am at a loss as to what to drink. I have been following the EFI diet and still feel awful.
Also, I purchased the Hypnosis tapes but haven't started them yet as I see a gastroenterologist this coming Monday and didn't know if I should start first or wait until after.
I am sorry to complain, I just don't know what to do. I am also stressed at seeing a gastroenterologist and the tests he will most likely want done.
I just feel very, very stressed out and as much as I love the holiday season, this year it just seems like added stress.

--------------------
Hope springs eternal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bottled water new
      #293283 - 12/12/06 08:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What are you using to measure the pH?

This web site gives the pH of a Aquafina as 7.0 and Poland Springs as 6.5. One won't expect the pH of bottled water to be 5.5 unless is was carbonated. Are you drinking carbonated water?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#293292 - 12/12/06 10:48 AM
Quietseraph

Hi Syl,
I used ph strips from Enzymedica. They are light green in colour and change according to the ph of urine or saliva but I would imagine it would work the same for water? The water I drink is not carbonated. I don't know if it may have to do with where the water is bottled at?
This may sound weird and having nothing whatsoever to do with anything, but the last time I felt like this I was drinking only Poland Springs and found that when I switched to Aquafina (this was about 4 or 5 years ago) I felt better and my stomach no longer felt irritated. I read somewhere online that Poland Springs uses ozonation for purification, so I thought it was that, and at that time Aquafina only listed reverse-osmosis as in it's purification system, but I just recently read where Aquafina's Hydro-7 now includes not only reverse-osmosis but ozonation as well. I don't know if this could be the problem. I am not really sure what ozonation actually is. I read a long time ago online somewhere that formaldehyde has been detected in ozonated water and has caused stomach irritation in rats tested for two years drinking the water.
Then again, I have read where drinking ozonated water is healthy.
All I know is that when I drink bottled water my mouth burns and my stomach feels irritated. Maybe it is psychosomatic, I don't know. I've tried other bottled water available in my area and it all seems the same. I just don't know what to drink.
-Mara

--------------------
Hope springs eternal.

#293296 - 12/12/06 10:56 AM
Quietseraph

Here is the website where I read of the formaldehyde in drinking water. It does not actually mention bottled water, just ozonation and Chlorination. It is a .pdf file from the World Health Organization.
who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/formaldehydesum0605.pdf

--------------------
Hope springs eternal.

#293300 - 12/12/06 11:13 AM
Quietseraph

Also, what about water enhanced with minerals such as Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Bicarbonate and Potassium Chloride. Are these things safe, or would they cause bloating or irritation? I need to find something I can drink that doesn't cause irritation. What of flat ginger ale or flat cola? I am at a loss here. Orange juice kills me so that is out. Apple juice is gassy? Any suggestions?
-Mara

--------------------
Hope springs eternal.

#293319 - 12/12/06 01:23 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might check the expiration date on you pH strips. Old strips are known to give false readings.

I would stay away from any carbonated drinks even if they have been left to open to go flat. Many carbonated drinks contain HFCS.

Most, if not all, bottled water contains trace amounts of minerals such as magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate and potassium chloride. In fact most of these minerals are also found in tap water. They should not present any problems.

The safest fluid to drink is water - at least until you are stable. It is unlikely that bottled water will cause irritation.

Perhaps when you put water in your stomach it stimulates the gastrocolic reflex which may produce the sensation of bloating.

It is a good thing to be seeing a GI doc so that he can rule out other possible problems such as acid reflux. Hang in there

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#293338 - 12/12/06 04:12 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

boy do i feel your pain. i saw a gastro last week. followed was an abdominal/pelvic cat scan, not too bad. you drink liquid dye twice then get scanned. the dye gave me D so since thursday i havent been feeling good and my movements were mesed up. i tend to get C sometimes. i hate the gastro though cause he says i should be drinking milk for calcium and totally diregarded the diet and soymilk. what an idiot!

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review