All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question About Milk
      #293276 - 12/12/06 07:58 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I don't know if I have a Soy sensitivity.

What I do know is I don't drink milk, and I would like that to change now.
The main reason is having dry cereal, or cereal with water, having a protein shake with water, not only produces gawking amongst others, but it is disguisting.

The problem is when I have Soy Milk, it gives me bloating and gas.
I tried Rice Milk, but perhaps it was the Sugar content, I don't know, it was Rice Dream, and it didn't seem to work.

I had a few questions.

1) Is there any reason why Rice Milk would cause a reaction.
2) What about Oatmilk, would that be more likely to be safe, and if not do I have ANY options? I got to have milk.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question About Milk new
      #293281 - 12/12/06 08:36 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Oatmilk should be safe. I can't think of any reason why rice milk could be a problem - you might see if there are any other brands of rice milk available in your area to try. Have you tried taking Beano when consuming soy milk?

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293289 - 12/12/06 10:40 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It is odd that Rice Milk is the direct cause of your perceived bloating--it's considered the "safest" of alternative "milks" or "notmilks." Soy milk can be gassy & cause bloating and in my experience taking Beano alleviates that effectively. Perhaps it is your cereal that is causing the bloating? Bloating is VERY COMMON in IBS. Maybe try dumping the milk, i.e. not consuming it and using it only to "wet" or "moisten" the cereal? (I do this because I think that cereal flavoured "notmilk" tastes disgusting!) Another
absolutely delicious alternative milk is Almond Milk. "Almond Breeze" is fabululous as are the Pacific Nut Milks.

I know...bloating sucks.

Kate, IBS-D.

#293312 - 12/12/06 12:38 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I don't know how the rice milk could be a problem. Rice is the only carb that doesn't cause gas.

I have bloating no matter what I eat. It's just the hardest symptom to prevent.

Do you get the same reaction when you eat foods that contain sugar?

You could try a dairy free dry "milk" powder, such as Vance's. Vance It is made of potatoes and only has 2 grams sugar.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#293330 - 12/12/06 03:19 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Have you tried other brands of rice milk? I absolutely LOVE Pacific brand low fat vanilla rice milk. It has a creamier consistency than other rice milks I've tried, and isn't overly sweet. Even my husband has switched to it from regular milk!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#293334 - 12/12/06 03:56 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

i keep thinking since i switched to soymilk maybe that why i get gassy every evening. but i usually have it in my decaf tea in the morning, or in oatmeal or rice cereal. i will try beano because i have to have something or im gonna go back to milk. milk has never given me trouble until two months. when you drink soymilk, is the reaction immediate?

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

#293335 - 12/12/06 04:01 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I think you could benefit from using Beano. When I have soy milk without Beano, I usually get gassy later on in the day. It's like the gas from 'gassy' foods builds up all day and I end up in pain at night. Try the Beano, don't give up and go back to milk! Also there are rice milks and almond milks which wouldn't cause gas.

--------------------
Kat

Re: I agree with K2 new
      #293379 - 12/12/06 07:05 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I agree with K2--give Beano a shot (use as directed). Honestly, it saves me tons of late night attacks. Often, I get a "delayed" gas reaction, i.e. the gas will catch up with me later. It's probably due to carbs or fiber fermenting way down in the g.i. tract or something. Anyways, Beano saves me tons of cramping and allows me to incorporate more anti-oxidants safely into my diet, i.e. with a sound SF source. It is very effective when taken prior to consuming soy milk.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review