All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
milk and enzymes
      #292635 - 12/05/06 09:17 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I took a multi enzyme tonight and then I read that it contained milk and wheat. Is this O.K.? I have also heard that there is a pill that lactose intolerant people take so they can eat milk products. Does this work with IBS? Thanks for reading this and for any replys.

--------------------
KELLY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: milk and enzymes new
      #292646 - 12/06/06 05:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Lactaid and other similar lactose-blocking pills DO NOT work with IBS... dairy is problematic for more reasons than just lactose (the proteins themselves are very difficult to digest).

The enzyme supplement *might* be ok, because I'm guessing that there's so little dairy in it... and it's probably a dairy derivative, not straight-up milk. If it IS something that contains milk and in any kind of quantity (within the first couple ingredients), I would discontinue use and find a different supplement to try.

Hope that helps!

#292668 - 12/06/06 07:47 AM
Kelly5

Can anyone eat cheese? I miss it very much and I am hopeful that I can tolerate it someday. Any suggestions on good soy cheese or other alternative? I have tried some and it was not a good experience. The enzyme I tried didn't list milk in the ingredience but it listed it that "This product contains milk and wheat." I don't feel sick today but a little different. I don't know if I am just being a nut and worrying to much. Namaste'

--------------------
KELLY

#292685 - 12/06/06 08:37 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Yes, I eat cheese, fetta cheese made of sheeps milk. You can also find goat milk cheese, those are easier to digest milks than cow's.

Soy cheese is yucky and almost always contains cassein, one of the supposedly difficult to digest proteins in cow's milk. I would not eat soy cheese, because it seems it's as bad as cow milk cheese, only tastes grosser.

Do you know if you are lactose intollerant?

--J

#293040 - 12/09/06 01:50 PM
Kelly5

Thank you so much and that explains why my stomach has been so weird. I was forcing myself to eat it because I thought it was our only option. I do drink soy milk. So goat cheese is o.k.? I stopped with the milk products because I thought we were suppose to! Thanks Namaste'

--------------------
KELLY

Kelly5 new
      #293041 - 12/09/06 02:37 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

you are supposed to stop eating dairy products, it is part of the EFI diet guidelines. Dairy proteins are very hard to digest even if you are not lactose intolerant.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Casey - Milk vs. milk derivative new
      #293329 - 12/12/06 03:00 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Are milk derivatives "safer" than actual milk ingredients? I've been trying desperately to find a non-dairy creamer (powder) that actually has NO dairy in it. I never thought that would be so hard! But they all seem to contain sodium caseinate. It's for a hot chocolate mix recipe, so the 6 oz of non-dairy creamer is quite small in comparison to all the other safe stuff in it (1 lb of nestle quik, 8 qt box of powdered rice milk, 1 lb powdered sugar), that i can't imagine it would be a problem. What do you think?

The recipe is SO yummy, and I was so excited when I managed to find a rice substitute for the powdered milk!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Cheese Alternatives new
      #293363 - 12/12/06 05:59 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I can't eat cheese...it's definitely a trigger. I did find Rice slices that come in American and Cheddar flavors, though. I found them in the cooler in the health food section of my grocery store. I make fake egg mcmuffins with it...natural turkey, rice slice and egg white on a Thomas English muffin. They are awesome. Harder cheeses have less lactose, so some people can tolerate parmesan, manchego (my absolute fave) The creamier, like brie, camembert, etc are harder on the tummy. If I know I am going to indulge in cheese, I always take 2 enzymes and know that doesn't always protect me...I pay the price and pray I am at home! I find the soy cheeses rather untasty too...

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#293366 - 12/12/06 06:02 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The casein in the rice cheese doesn't bother you?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#293369 - 12/12/06 06:12 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

No, what's casein???

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 964 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review