All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
newbie,,,,,
      #292560 - 12/05/06 11:23 AM
custard

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: UK

hi everyone im kirsty from uk, i have been told i have ibs after years of very loose stools, i also have dairy and lactose intolerance, i am finding life very hard and i have just brought heathers book from ebay, the doctor adviced i have probiotics and i have emergency limotil ( imodium)
any further tips i should have,

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: newbie,,,,, new
      #292578 - 12/05/06 01:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

Which of Heather's books did you buy? Before it arrives you can look through the information on the Website (outside the Boards) to start getting an idea of how Heather's Eating For IBS approach works. Just click on "IBS Diet & Recipes" in the column to the left to get started. Or you can look at this post for links that will walk you through the basics.

I have IBS-D and Heather's approach has made a world of difference for me. I hope it does the same for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292620 - 12/05/06 08:01 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Hi Sand,

How are you? Once again, I have to thank you for your post. When I read your post they are ALWAYS incredibly helpful. Just wanted to say hello and wish you well.

Sufie

#292621 - 12/05/06 08:04 PM
Sufie

You will LOVE Heather's products. She literally gave me my life back. Just so you know I am pretty new at this too (diagnosed October 26, 2006). Feel free to ask anything and I will try to help you as much as possible. Good luck to you on your journey towards better health.

Hi, Sufie. new
      #292667 - 12/06/06 07:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm well, thanks. Thanks as always for your kind words. It's nice to know I can help.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292684 - 12/06/06 08:33 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi Kirsty,

I'm quite new to the boards and also from the UK. I bought both Heather's books from Amazon and started the EFI diet in October. I also ordered Acacia from this website ( it was delivered really quickly, about a week!). The diet and Acacia are really helping me after years of pain etc. I amd not stable yet but I am so much better. i just wish that more people in the UK were aware of Heather's diet and Acacia.

I recommend that you read everything on this website as well as your books. It is so helpful and the boards also have loads of info, recipes etc.

Hope this helps.

#292816 - 12/07/06 10:45 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome...and your pic is up!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Sulfie new
      #292827 - 12/07/06 12:10 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Can I ask which products you are using? Are you C or D or A?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

A couple of thoughts... new
      #292873 - 12/07/06 04:16 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you had all the appropriate tests done to rule out all other conditions (that includes a colonoscopy)? Also, what seems like a dairy/lactose intolerance could just be your IBS reacting to those things. Dairy is a big IBS trigger. Imodium can be taken to prevent attacks. The most effective things that I have found to help my symptoms and get me stable are Heather's acacia fiber, hypnosis, and L-Glutamine. Healthy people generally don't need to take L-Glutamine supplements as your body produces it, but for myself, I have big problems if don't take it (mainly terrible pain from BMs and I become even more prone to D).

Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Sulfie new
      #292915 - 12/08/06 06:49 AM
Sufie

Hey there Jordy, I am using almost all of her products--the cookbook, oil capsules (ginger, fennel, and peppermint), acacia fiber, teas, and I just purchased the hypno CD's (very relaxing). I also buy fennel and peppermint tea from Celestial Seasonings since it is cheaper. I have IBS D but also have persistant pain. It is not as bad as it was and I have more discomfort than pain. I have a long ways to go with the acacia fiber and still need to keep increasing my doses. I am only up to 3 teaspoons a day--I am taking it very slow and allowing my body to adjust.

Oh, I almost forgot--I also take multi enzymes and probiotics.

Hope this helps clarify things. Please let me know if you have further questions.

#292918 - 12/08/06 06:57 AM
Jordy

Quote:

oil capsules (ginger, fennel, and peppermint)

Is that the peppermint caps?

I can't find fennel tea by Celestial Seasonings anyhwere, but I do drink their peppermint teas! You use Heather's fennel and peppermint teas too?

You think the diet is what is helping your pain, too?

Thanks so much for sharing!! And for trying to help me...and others!

I have persistant pain too....with C. Which Enzymes and probiotic help you?

--------------------

#293056 - 12/10/06 12:58 AM
Sufie

Hi Jordy,

Hope you are doing well.

I am very happy to help anytime. I would also like to thank you for your helpful posts.

In regards to the fennel tea--I should have clarified that better-Celestial Seasonings does not make fennel only the peppermint. However; Whole Foods and one of my local health food stores does carry fennel tea but I do not have the brand with me. I have the name of the brand at work and will post it for you on Monday. I drink both Celestial Seasonings peppermint tea and Heathers. I prefer Heather's b/c it is much stronger and more effective.

The peppermint capsules I am refering too are Heather's Tummy Tammers caplets. The enzymes were refered to me by another user and I purchased them at GNC. They are called GNC's Multi Enzyme Formula. They are pretty inexpensive. The probiotics I use are Nature's Life Pro-96 Acidophilus Probiotic (comes in a glass bottle requires refrigeration after opening). My dad worked on Acidophilus in the 70's and says that the live acidophilus is found only in products sold in the glass bottles. He says the freeze dried varieties are less effective--of course I am sure many find them just as effective. Sometimes I also take VSL#3 but I just can't stand the taste and have to mix it in cold foods, which I do not eat (ice cream, cold water or any cold drinks). I know it sounds weird but when I mix it in room temperature water it is sooo nasty. It is suppose to be highly effective though and is one of the only medical grade probiotics available (very expensive $70 for a pack of 30!). When I travel I take Primal Defense since it is in pill form and easy to take anytime.

Just so you know I have problems with bacterial overgrowth, so probiotics are especially helpful for me.

Yes, the diet has contributed greatly to my pain reduction. Eating right and introducing acacia to my diet has really reduced my pain. I could barely move from the pain about 3 months ago. Still have the pain though but many on this board have advised me to be patient and stay on the right track (IBS diet, stress reduction, acacia increase, etc, etc).

I don't feel as sad as I use to and it helps to have a positive outlook though the pain can be so draining sometimes.

So far I think all of the above things are helping me. I just started the hypnotherapy CD's and they are worth the investment. It is difficult to keep up with everything but I feel like everything is paying off and worth the effort.

I have a ways to go and let you know if I find anything that helps more than the things I listed above. I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

By the way, have you started on any alternative therapies? Have you invested in any of Heather's products?

Take care,

Sufie

#293080 - 12/10/06 12:57 PM
Jordy

Thanks for your reply. I forget...are you D, C, A or P or a combination?

I looked for the probiotic today, but they didn't have it in the store. They also told me it was a liquid? Is that right? They said they could order it for me. How much do you take a day?

Do you take peppermint capsules before every meal? Or only with dinner? And you take digestive enzymes with every meal and snack?

Thanks for your help. Interesting about your dad. What does he do for a job?

I'm glad you aren't so sad...and a bit optomistic! Can you spread the feeling!

Glad the acacia is helping your pain. I never thought it could help pain..as most SFS seem to cause me more pain. How much are you up to now?

I haven't looked into any alternative treatments...basically because I'm broke and there isn't a whole lot of evidence that things like accupuncture or Elisa food intolerance testing works. Have you tried either of those?

I have tried Heather's peppermint capsules, both kinds of tea, Acacia, and her books. I like the capsules and teas...but it is so expensive to ship. I wish money wasn't an issuer. I just keep drinking the Stash peppermint teas and another brand peppermint caps that also contain fennel, ginger, and caraway oil. I used to take it before every meal...but now I've only been remembering to take it before dinner.

Could you post an example of your daily menu? How many and what kinds of fruits/veggies, grains, cereals, breads you eat? If that is too much, I totally understand.I understand how to eat for IBS...just not sure if I'm doing it correctly since my pain is still pretty high.

--------------------

#293083 - 12/10/06 01:06 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Kirsty
Welcome to the boards. I'm Irish so we can share lots of brands tips, we have a list of UK safe food for newbies as a sticky -it's here

LOL re your name, I love custard but can only have it as a sneaky cheat. Alpro do a dairy free custard that is quite good though.

Welcome aboard!

--------------------
S.

#293127 - 12/10/06 07:16 PM
Sufie

Hi Jordy,

I am always glad to help--don't worry about asking too many questions

Okay, let me start in order of the questions you asked. I am IBS D with pain. The D stopped a long time ago right after I started using a probiotic. The pain persist but is no where near the severity it was when I first got sick.

The probiotic I recommended is in liquid form. I take 3 tablespoons a day after every meal. Sometimes I may take it before a meal. I do not always take the peppermint capsules b/f every meal. Mostly one in the day and one towards the evening. Depends on how I am feeling that day (good or bad).

I take 2 enzymes b/f every meal (so 6 a day). Not with snacks b/c my snacks are always SFS based and small in portion--no need to take an enzyme with a small snack.

My father owns his own business in California and I work with him. He use to head up large food processing productions for companies like general foods. He is a chemical engineer by education. He is also in his 70's and has a ton of experience and education so I trust him with all my heart when it comes to advice.

As for my optimisim, I see it this way--b/f IBS I had some bad habits where I would barely drink fluids all day and ate poorly. Now I am forced to pay better attention to my body and mind, have learned to cook, and I don't take food for granted. What can I say Jordy, this is the hand I am dealt and since I am a fighter I decided that I will get through this and take back control of my body.I refuse to give up and whine about it. I did that already and now it's time to embrace this whole thing with a positive attitude.

As for the Acacia--I think it is a very important component of my diet that helps control the gas, bloating, and pain. I am up to 3 teaspoons a day, which is not much at all.

I find it odd that you have such an adverse reaction to SFS. Do you drink enough water? If you are C you need to aim for a lot of water.

I have not tried acupuncture. I am only trying hypnosis right now.

Menu:

Breakfast: Cream of Rice w/ soy milk and brown sugar and a banana

Snack (one of the following are good examples): dry Honey Nut Cherrios, graham crackers, or 2 slices of any fruit breads such as lemon sticky bread or pumpkin apple spice bread (Heather's recipes)

Lunch: Thai Fried Rice (recipe from Heather's book)

Snack: 1 slice of soudough or french bread with a smidge of Lite Smart Balance or Toffuti Better Than Cream Cheese and a little low sugar apricot jam. A cup of vanilla soy milk

Dinner: Corn soup with crab meat over white rice (Heather's recipe)
I drink a lot of water (around 72 ounces a day). This includes peppermint tea, fennel tea, and soy milk.

I only eat sourdough or french bread. Fruits---I make smoothies to get my fruits in. Smoothies are the best way for me to get fruits in.

Veggies--always with SF base. Never w/o a SF base no matter what.

May be you need to manage stress and anxiety better(?)if the pain does not seem to be decreasing. You sound like a good candidate for the hypnosis CD's if your body is not responding to other things---just thinking out loud...

Alright my friend, let me know if you have further questions. Have a good week.

Sufie

#293154 - 12/11/06 07:02 AM
Sufie

Jordy,

The brand that sells the fennel tea is called Select. You can go to www.selecttea.com for more information.

#293177 - 12/11/06 09:47 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Also, you can go to a store that sells spices and just buy bulk fennel and/or bulk peppermint. If it's a good store, it will be fresh and make great tea!

--AC

Hmmm.. new
      #293179 - 12/11/06 10:09 AM
Jordy

..I can't find it on the link. Thanks for trying, though.

--------------------

thanks again new
      #293180 - 12/11/06 10:15 AM
Jordy

I have to "digest" all this!

I do drink lots of herbal tea all day...over 80 ounces, probably. The SFS all give me bloat, gas, and pain, it seems.

I would probably need to make adjustments to your diet example since I am a hardcore C. I thought you were too! Sorry! (PS you do lots of cooking, I see).

--------------------

Re: thanks again new
      #293240 - 12/11/06 07:12 PM
Sufie

Yeah, I cook on the weekends but it's easy b/c I live alone and 2 dishes plus one bread loaf will last me all week. Let me know how you are doing and if you have any further questions. Sorry to hear that SF's don't help--I just can't imagine that and I really want to hear that this changes for you.

Sufie

#293241 - 12/11/06 07:12 PM
Sufie

Good idea---Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 625 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review