All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
activia yogurt
      #292374 - 12/03/06 06:52 PM
zippo

Reged: 11/01/06

I made a thread a couple months ago about yogurt, asking if its ok to have for IBS and pretty much everyone said no because it's dairy. Well, I was looking at another IBS forum on the internet, and one of the moderators of it as well as a handful of members claim that Dannon's Activia Yogurt is ok for people with IBS and actually helpful. I guess the logic behind it is that it has more probiotic cultures in it than regular yogurt, and I was thinking about giving it a try. Anyone else know anything about this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: activia yogurt new
      #292378 - 12/03/06 07:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Probiotics are a good thing in general, but here on these boards, we focus on Heather's IBS diet, and according to her guidelines (which have worked wonderfully for MANY of us, I might add), dairy is a trigger. Period.

You can get probiotics safely by visiting your local health food store and picking up a probiotic capsule supplement. Go for one that's refrigerated - they're more active and potent.

#292406 - 12/04/06 07:19 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I think if you search the posting that while the 'EFI guidelines' recommend not eating dairy some of us do eat low fat dairy such as yogurt and milk. For example see message thread. Perhaps the best way to figure it out is to wait until you are stable and then try adding some activia yogurt to your diet and see if you can tolerate it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#292408 - 12/04/06 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Activia has come up a fair amount before on these Boards. You can Search on the Diet Board with no time limit for Activia and you should get a lot of hits.

I find dairy problematic so I wouldn't try this. And I agree with AtomicRose that it's a simple matter to get probiotics by themselves without risking dairy.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

soy yogurt! new
      #292431 - 12/04/06 10:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Also, you can get soy yogurts with live and active cultures. I'm really enjoying Silk Live! these days.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3223

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review