All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dairy?
      #291805 - 11/29/06 10:05 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Has anyone ever become stable enough to have small servings of cheese, without paying forever? I know that it's possible that cheese is forever out of my life, and I don't even want to try it until I'm securely stable, but has anyone ever incorporated any dairy back into their diets?

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dairy? new
      #291821 - 11/29/06 11:42 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

I miss cheese...but I think it almost near killed me the last time I had it..a nightmare I do not want to revisit. Good luck and I hope you will one day be able to enjoy cheese again.

#291823 - 11/29/06 12:09 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Not to promote consumption of dairy, but I do know several people with IBS who are stable and now able to have yogurt and real cheese (and remain stable). A few even eat pizza from time to time!

And, yes, they really do have IBS...to the point of having to miss work or even stop working.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291843 - 11/29/06 01:58 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I am not lactose intollerant, I am stable, IBS-C, and I do eat cheese, but not american or swiss, or whatever other yellow cheeses are out there (or cream cheese). I eat mainly sheep fetta cheese and it doesn't bother me (the others do, because of the fat I guess...), I also have oatmeal with FF milk and remain stable.

So, yes, I did reincorporate dairy, but only FF or super low fat. I am sorry I cannot testify for the regular cheeses people eat in the US (chedar, american, swiss, mozarella, etc), I can only testify for sheep milk fetta cheese.

Re: Dairy? Everyones different new
      #291845 - 11/29/06 02:02 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I can do OK with hard cheeses and aged ones. They have enyzmes in them..for instance bleu cheese. I do fine with it. Never on an empty stomach though.

#291846 - 11/29/06 02:03 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

How are you people able to have dairy and not pay a price?
Do you have to be stable for a long time?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291854 - 11/29/06 02:16 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Are you lactose intollerant?

I am not, so I don't pay anything... The fat in some cheeses throws me off, though.

#291855 - 11/29/06 02:16 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I cannot do dairy at all. I've been stable for almost a year now and I still have the same reaction to dairy and red meat. I try now and then having some chocolate or cheesecake after a very safe dinner. It seems the most I can have is like one bite, any more and I'm in a full attack.

--------------------
Kat

#291856 - 11/29/06 02:17 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Also just to add, I am not lactose intolerant.

--------------------
Kat

#291858 - 11/29/06 02:20 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Actually, I don't know if I'm intolerant. That's the one test they've not done on me, and I'm requesting it when I finally get back in. It's good to know that some people do okay with dairy when stable. Doesn't mean I will, but there's some small hope!

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#291861 - 11/29/06 02:42 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I am able to sprinkle a tiny bit of Kraft fat free shredded cheddar cheese on my hamburger bun when I eat my soy burgers. It's really not very much, though... just enough to make it yummy. I can also eat 1-2 pieces of pizza from this local place. I don't know why, but it usually is okay with me as long as I've eaten well beforehand. Sometimes I might feel a little iffy, but it doesn't give me D anymore. We usually get pizza there every week or two. It's really my only "cheat" food, and I'm very careful not to overdo it. I can't eat pizza anywhere else, and I can't eat things like grilled cheese, milk, ice cream, or other dairy products. I have been pretty stable with only a couple of attacks since late spring 2006 (1 caused by anxiety and the others caused by eating a trigger food).

#291864 - 11/29/06 03:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have never eliminated dairy from my diet and I am lactose intolerant. I take lactase before consuming dairy. However, I cannot tolerate high fat dairy products such as cheese, cream, butter and ice cream not because it is dairy but because it contains too much fat. I can tolerate yogurt and milk.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#291881 - 11/29/06 04:08 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can have a bit of dairy now and then without miserable consequence. By "a bit," I mean less than an ounce of cheese or just a bite or two of ice cream.

And for some reason, I can eat Domino's Pizza and not suffer, either. I don't understand, but who am I to argue with pizza?

#291899 - 11/29/06 05:00 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Yes, I can have certain cheeses, not processed like Kraft cheese slices, but good aged cheddar cheeses where you have to pay more for them. Also, I can do homemade ice creams with little to no problems. I usually go to the mom and pop joints for ice cream. I cannot do custard ice cream though. And I buy low fat mayonnaise and have no problems with using it.

Carol

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2502

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review