All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
general info new
      #291746 - 11/29/06 05:51 AM
desahc

Reged: 11/29/06

I have had IBS for seven years. I tried the dietary guidelines very strictly, lost a lot of weight, and ate very "pure," but it didn't help. My IBS doesn't flare up after eating what some would consider "trigger" foods, so it is hard to know what jumpstarts it. I will have bowel movements every three days or so, and I will make repeated trips to the bathroom. Even time I go to the bathroom my stools often get more and more loose. This continues until I am "empty" or I take immodium. My doctor tried me on elavil and it helped for a while, but doesn't seem to be making a significant difference now. I have also experiemented with different fibers with no improvement. If my bowel activity doesn't seem to be triggered without any clear cause and effect, what do you think it going on? It was worse during periods, but I had a hysterectomy and one ovary removed 18 months ago. Again, my IBS was fine for about a year, and now I am back to square one--any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: general info
      #291748 - 11/29/06 06:03 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Thats the mystery of IBS. Me too cant figure it out. I find that if I stop eating bananas fora day or two, the D comes back. I go D several times and then it stops. I also lost weight because I dont eat when I am out which is usually lunch time. I had read that calcium carbonate (which is something us women need to take) really works for the
IBS-Ders. I myself will start that. Try the peppermint oil or caraway/peppermint oil combo. Everyone is different so you have to find the treatment right for you. Give it time, not just 2 weeks.....several weeks and try different things. I hope you feel better. I hope we all feel better.

Re: general info new
      #291750 - 11/29/06 06:08 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you tried Heather's diet? I think one important thing for you would be to understand the SF/IF fibers. If you aren't going for 3 days then you probably need more IF. And if you are having loose stools then you should also increase the SF.

I found the only thing that helped my loose BMs was taking a fiber supplement. I take Acacia, 12g of fiber per day, and drink lots of water. How long did you give the fiber supplements a chance? It took a while for me, at least a month before I got up to a high enough dose to notice a difference.

It is also normal for IBS to fluctuate with hormones and stress. Stress alone can bring on an attack.

--------------------
Kat

#292688 - 12/06/06 08:39 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Just curious. Did they find any endo when you had your hysterectomy? If they did and cleaned it out, maybe some of the endo has come back.

#292696 - 12/06/06 09:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Elavil is, at least to my experience (my boyfriend was on it), a weaker, low-dose antidepressant. Are you especially anxious or depressed? If Elavil helped you at one point, but doesn't make a difference now, maybe you need to be on something stronger.

I'm assuming you check in with your doctor on a regular basis, too... if you haven't had a physical and tests anytime recently, you might consider seeing your doctor. There might be something else going on, other than IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review