All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Question About Trader Joe's Muffins, Newman Cookies
      #291705 - 11/28/06 07:34 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I've been attempting to edit my diet, so I can eat safe but enjoy food.
This way, I will be less tempted to eat poorly and not be frustrated too.

I am sick of eating bland Oat Bran and applesauce for breakfast.
I am also tired of not having desert.
I went to Trader Joe's and bought Muffins, Cookies, and Soy Ice Cream.

I thought these were safe, but am not sure if they could be causing the IBS to get worse.
Can you please review the ingredients and let me know.
Thanks.

Carrot Ginger Oat Bran Muffins
Ingedients: Water, White Grape Juice, Rye Flour, Oats, Oat Bran, Carrots, Canola Oil, Ginger, Baking Soda, Spices, Salt.

Calories 150
Fat calories 35
Total Carb 29
Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugars 9g

-I thought it was safe because it was called Oat Bran Muffins, and I have been having Oat Bran with Applesauce.
-Further, it has Rye Flour listed before Oats and Oat Bran.
-What confuses me is it lists dietary fiber at 4g, but no solubale fiber, only sugars at 9g.
-Is that considered solubale fiber, and if not, wouldn't this fall out of Heather's proportion making it not safe?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question About Trader Joe's Muffins, Newman Cookies new
      #291706 - 11/28/06 07:43 PM
Naturapanic

Newman's Ginger O's

Ingredients:
Organic unbleached wheat flour, powdered sugar, organic palm fruit oil, organic molasses, organic sugar, sodium bicarbonate, ground ginger, soy lecithin, salt, monocalcium phosphate, nutmeg.

Calories 120
Fat Calories 40
Total Carb 19
Sugars 10g
Protein 1g

-The ingredients have nothing questionable besides soy, which appears in a small amount
-The fat content is 33%, slightly but not excessively higher than 25% suggestion

Soy Delicious Ice Cream
Ingredients:
Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Organic Soybeans), Tapoca Syrup and/or Brown Rice Syrup, Chicory Root Extract, Safflower Oil and/or Soybean Oil, Mixed Fruit Concentrate, Potato Sugar, Carob, Bear Gum, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors.

Calories 110
Fat Calories 15
Carbs 24 g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 9g
Protein 2g

-When I has 2 spoons of this and 2 cookies for desert, my skin felt irritated, I felt bloated, and C, as if I ate something bad, yet both of these appear safe aside from possibly Soy, the cookies have only 1/3 percent fat, not bad.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291711 - 11/28/06 07:54 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The muffins look good and safe. The cookies are just higher in fat, so eat them with an SF base or after a light meal.

I have tried the soy delicious before, and was fine with it. However I always take a Beano to prevent gas.

--------------------
Kat

#291848 - 11/29/06 02:07 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks.
Do you think I might have a Soy senstivity?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291852 - 11/29/06 02:14 PM
K2

I'd give soy some more tries. Remember that if you're just incorporating it now, do it slowly so your body can adjust. I take a Beano with every soy product, since soy is a bean and can cause gas.

--------------------
Kat

#292080 - 11/30/06 09:47 PM
Naturapanic

1) I had a muffin again this morning.
I'm inconclusive on if this is something I can handle.

I really am confused.
What leads you to believe it is safe?

I see the words bran and rye, so I think it is safe, but I see it has 4g of dietary fiber, which I take it is insoluable fiber, with no grams of soluable fiber, which at a ratio of 4:0 is unsafe?

2) I have been having some soy for awhile, but not much since I am afraid or worried about it. When you say slowly incorporate, what do you mean in terms of how much to have daily, what is a soy serving, and how to do it?
I know in a lot of processed or bought food they always have some soy listed in the ingredients.
Would soy pose a bigger problem say if I was eating Soy Ice Cream, a larger dose, than bread which contains soy?

I'm trying to figure out what my deal is with soy, if I am intolerant, or if it is normally to have more problems with bigger portions of soy.

Does Beano usually work well for most people to handle larger doses of soy, thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292094 - 12/01/06 06:55 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Have you thought of buying Heather's cookbook. Maybe you need to be more proactive with cooking. Her book has helped me tremendously. If anything it has helped me become more comfortable in the kitchen and not afraid to eat.

#292115 - 12/01/06 08:41 AM
K2

Unfortunately most foods don't say "soluble fiber" they just put dietary fiber. Dietary fiber is usually IF + SF. So it could be all 4g of SF, but you can't know. The best thing to do is go by the ingredients.

As for soy, what I meant by starting slowly is starting off with small amounts (tablespoon of soy cream cheese, or a half glass of soy milk) per day, then try soy products maybe twice a day. After a week or two you should be fine. Beano will help prevent gas from soy foods.

At first when I started having more soy (larger amounts) and more veggies, I had problems with gas. So after taking Beano I had no problems.

--------------------
Kat

#292283 - 12/02/06 02:19 PM
Naturapanic

When we talk about SOY servings, what do you consider a soy serving?
Some mall portion of a soy product (Ice Cream) taken WITH Beano gradually increased?
Muts this be done everyday, or since I don't eat Soy everyday, would taking beano before large portions be a good defense?

Oh, where do you get soy cream cheese?
I bought it once at whole foods, disguisting.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292286 - 12/02/06 02:29 PM
K2

I get the Toffuti dairy free cream cheese. I like the herb&galic the best, but they have other flavours including plain.

I always take Beano with soy products, even after eating them for a long time now. I would consider a small serving to start with as 1tbsp of cream cheese or tofu, or 1/4-1/3 cup of soy milk. If you have been eating soy foods off and on then you probably don't need to start too slow with them. I don't know if it helps to have them everyday or not to get used to it, but I do eat soy each day.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review