All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question About Trader Joe's Muffins, Newman Cookies
      #291705 - 11/28/06 07:34 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I've been attempting to edit my diet, so I can eat safe but enjoy food.
This way, I will be less tempted to eat poorly and not be frustrated too.

I am sick of eating bland Oat Bran and applesauce for breakfast.
I am also tired of not having desert.
I went to Trader Joe's and bought Muffins, Cookies, and Soy Ice Cream.

I thought these were safe, but am not sure if they could be causing the IBS to get worse.
Can you please review the ingredients and let me know.
Thanks.

Carrot Ginger Oat Bran Muffins
Ingedients: Water, White Grape Juice, Rye Flour, Oats, Oat Bran, Carrots, Canola Oil, Ginger, Baking Soda, Spices, Salt.

Calories 150
Fat calories 35
Total Carb 29
Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugars 9g

-I thought it was safe because it was called Oat Bran Muffins, and I have been having Oat Bran with Applesauce.
-Further, it has Rye Flour listed before Oats and Oat Bran.
-What confuses me is it lists dietary fiber at 4g, but no solubale fiber, only sugars at 9g.
-Is that considered solubale fiber, and if not, wouldn't this fall out of Heather's proportion making it not safe?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question About Trader Joe's Muffins, Newman Cookies new
      #291706 - 11/28/06 07:43 PM
Naturapanic

Newman's Ginger O's

Ingredients:
Organic unbleached wheat flour, powdered sugar, organic palm fruit oil, organic molasses, organic sugar, sodium bicarbonate, ground ginger, soy lecithin, salt, monocalcium phosphate, nutmeg.

Calories 120
Fat Calories 40
Total Carb 19
Sugars 10g
Protein 1g

-The ingredients have nothing questionable besides soy, which appears in a small amount
-The fat content is 33%, slightly but not excessively higher than 25% suggestion

Soy Delicious Ice Cream
Ingredients:
Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Organic Soybeans), Tapoca Syrup and/or Brown Rice Syrup, Chicory Root Extract, Safflower Oil and/or Soybean Oil, Mixed Fruit Concentrate, Potato Sugar, Carob, Bear Gum, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors.

Calories 110
Fat Calories 15
Carbs 24 g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 9g
Protein 2g

-When I has 2 spoons of this and 2 cookies for desert, my skin felt irritated, I felt bloated, and C, as if I ate something bad, yet both of these appear safe aside from possibly Soy, the cookies have only 1/3 percent fat, not bad.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291711 - 11/28/06 07:54 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The muffins look good and safe. The cookies are just higher in fat, so eat them with an SF base or after a light meal.

I have tried the soy delicious before, and was fine with it. However I always take a Beano to prevent gas.

--------------------
Kat

#291848 - 11/29/06 02:07 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks.
Do you think I might have a Soy senstivity?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291852 - 11/29/06 02:14 PM
K2

I'd give soy some more tries. Remember that if you're just incorporating it now, do it slowly so your body can adjust. I take a Beano with every soy product, since soy is a bean and can cause gas.

--------------------
Kat

#292080 - 11/30/06 09:47 PM
Naturapanic

1) I had a muffin again this morning.
I'm inconclusive on if this is something I can handle.

I really am confused.
What leads you to believe it is safe?

I see the words bran and rye, so I think it is safe, but I see it has 4g of dietary fiber, which I take it is insoluable fiber, with no grams of soluable fiber, which at a ratio of 4:0 is unsafe?

2) I have been having some soy for awhile, but not much since I am afraid or worried about it. When you say slowly incorporate, what do you mean in terms of how much to have daily, what is a soy serving, and how to do it?
I know in a lot of processed or bought food they always have some soy listed in the ingredients.
Would soy pose a bigger problem say if I was eating Soy Ice Cream, a larger dose, than bread which contains soy?

I'm trying to figure out what my deal is with soy, if I am intolerant, or if it is normally to have more problems with bigger portions of soy.

Does Beano usually work well for most people to handle larger doses of soy, thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292094 - 12/01/06 06:55 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Have you thought of buying Heather's cookbook. Maybe you need to be more proactive with cooking. Her book has helped me tremendously. If anything it has helped me become more comfortable in the kitchen and not afraid to eat.

#292115 - 12/01/06 08:41 AM
K2

Unfortunately most foods don't say "soluble fiber" they just put dietary fiber. Dietary fiber is usually IF + SF. So it could be all 4g of SF, but you can't know. The best thing to do is go by the ingredients.

As for soy, what I meant by starting slowly is starting off with small amounts (tablespoon of soy cream cheese, or a half glass of soy milk) per day, then try soy products maybe twice a day. After a week or two you should be fine. Beano will help prevent gas from soy foods.

At first when I started having more soy (larger amounts) and more veggies, I had problems with gas. So after taking Beano I had no problems.

--------------------
Kat

#292283 - 12/02/06 02:19 PM
Naturapanic

When we talk about SOY servings, what do you consider a soy serving?
Some mall portion of a soy product (Ice Cream) taken WITH Beano gradually increased?
Muts this be done everyday, or since I don't eat Soy everyday, would taking beano before large portions be a good defense?

Oh, where do you get soy cream cheese?
I bought it once at whole foods, disguisting.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292286 - 12/02/06 02:29 PM
K2

I get the Toffuti dairy free cream cheese. I like the herb&galic the best, but they have other flavours including plain.

I always take Beano with soy products, even after eating them for a long time now. I would consider a small serving to start with as 1tbsp of cream cheese or tofu, or 1/4-1/3 cup of soy milk. If you have been eating soy foods off and on then you probably don't need to start too slow with them. I don't know if it helps to have them everyday or not to get used to it, but I do eat soy each day.

--------------------
Kat

#292293 - 12/02/06 07:28 PM
Naturapanic

Does the Tofutti taste any good?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292317 - 12/03/06 07:04 AM
K2

Yup I love it. I eat the herb & garlic with pita bread or bagels, it's super tasty. It reminds me of a real cream cheese I used to eat from a sandwich & bagel shop. The plain is great too especially if you want to have a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. They also have a french onion one I want to try next.

--------------------
Kat

The muffins new
      #292322 - 12/03/06 08:11 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you saying they didn't agree with you and gave you trouble?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Soy new
      #292323 - 12/03/06 08:15 AM
Jordy

Do you take a Beano with 1 T of soy cream cheese? Or is that too little an amount to need one?

Have you always digested soy, Kat? Or did you have problems with it initially? Can you eat any type and/or amount of soy now?

--------------------

#292325 - 12/03/06 08:19 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Yup I love it. I eat the herb & garlic with pita bread or bagels, it's super tasty. It reminds me of a real cream cheese I used to eat from a sandwich & bagel shop. The plain is great too especially if you want to have a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. They also have a french onion one I want to try next.

Where do you get it? I tried one last year from whole foods and it turned me off.

Seperate question, I continue to have problems finding a good tasting cereal.
I find it important to have a good tasting cereal this way I have a snack and something to rotate into breakfast.
Here is what I tried and what the ingredients were.

Frosted Cheerios
Calories 110g
Fat 1g
Carbs 23g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 12g
Other Carbs 10g
Protein 2 g

Ingredients:
Whole Grain Oats, Sugar, Corn Meal, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Brown Sugar Syrup, Trisodium Phosphate, Color Added, Dextrose, Zinc and Iron, Vitamin C, A B Vitamin, Vanillin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2, Vitman B1, A B Vitamin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Almond Meal, Wheat Flour, Vitamin E.

This contains no visible triggers, I don't understand why it bothers me.
Does anybody have a safe cereal to recommend?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Soy new
      #292327 - 12/03/06 08:21 AM
K2

Usually for the 1tbsp of soy cream cheese I don't bother with a Beano. However if you do find it causes gas then no harm done in trying a Beano before it.

I did have a lot of problems actually when I first started incorporating more veggies and soy into my diet. I was having inexplicable discomfort and mini-D attacks at night. I figured out that it was from gas from eating these foods. The gas would 'build up' during the day and by night my system was thrown off course and I ended up with D because of it. Took a while to figure out the D was being caused by gas though. So it seems I'm not really prone to gas, but when I do have gas, it makes my D really bad.

Now that I take Beano and have been eating more soy and veggies for a while, I'm fine. I can eat any type/amount of soy products, as long as I take enough Beano. However I still can't handle eating a lot of veggies as the IF makes me 'go'.

--------------------
Kat

#292328 - 12/03/06 08:25 AM
K2

I can only find the Tofutti cream cheese in health food stores. However it seems to be in all health food stores that I've been to so far.

The cereal I eat is usually just oatmeal. Any Quaker or Natural Path oatmeals seem fine with me. Every now and then I have some cold cereal but I treat it as IF and eat it with a safe SF base, so I'm not sure that they are safe cereals necessarily.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Soy- About BEANO new
      #292332 - 12/03/06 08:51 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Did you know it contains the same ingredient as the Imodium Advanced and the same as Tums Gas and Rolaids MultiSymptom formula Its simethicone. You dont have to go and buy Beano if you use any of the above. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Joannelcoq (12/03/06 08:52 AM)

Re: Soy- About BEANO new
      #292333 - 12/03/06 09:01 AM
K2

No Beano does not contain simethicone. You may be thinking about Gas-X which yes does contain simethicone. Simethicone can be used to treat gas once you already have it.

Beano is a natural digestive enzyme alpha-galactosidase. This helps break down gas-producing complex sugars into easily digested sugars. It prevents gas, it does not treat gas that you already have.

Hope that helps clear things up,

--------------------
Kat

Re: Soy- About BEANO - just want to add.. new
      #292334 - 12/03/06 09:04 AM
K2

There may be other digestive enzymes that also contain this alpha-galactosidase enzyme. If you're taking digestive enzymes already it would be worthwhile to check if this is in it. Might also be good to look around and find the cheapest one available.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Soy- About BEANO - just want to add.. KAT new
      #292392 - 12/03/06 09:06 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Sorry, You are right. The website I went on was wrong or I just read it wrong. I did another search to find out that is correct. I never bought Beano so I did not have the bottle ingredients in front of me. I have been using caraway/peppermint oil called Regimint and I dont think I will need the Beano yet. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.
Joanne

#292417 - 12/04/06 08:12 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

Frosted Cheerios
Calories 110g
Fat 1g
Carbs 23g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 12g
Other Carbs 10g
Protein 2 g

Ingredients:
Whole Grain Oats, Sugar, Corn Meal, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Brown Sugar Syrup, Trisodium Phosphate, Color Added, Dextrose, Zinc and Iron, Vitamin C, A B Vitamin, Vanillin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2, Vitman B1, A B Vitamin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Almond Meal, Wheat Flour, Vitamin E.

The first ingredient is whole grains which can be problematic because it is IF. Are you eating SF first?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

beano, gas, and d ....Kat new
      #292469 - 12/04/06 05:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Kat, you said that at one point you think your gas was building up to eventually cause d. I never thought about that. You know, it's weird but I guess b/c I'm predominantly d, I don't usually have a lot of gas...as long as everything comes out, the gas does too. However, in the past few weeks, I have had gas which is unusual for me. I'm wondering if my body got used to not having as much IF and now that I'm adding it back in, it's not used to it? Anyhow, I just bought some Beano and took some tonight before my rice and vegetables. Do you really think that the Beano in an indirect way can head off d? I thought that concept was intersting and just wanted to be sure I understood you clearly. (Or is it possible that my Acacia amount is too high? It's quite low compared to most I think: 3 1/2 tsp/day. Or now I'm wondering if it's soy...but I haven't added any more soy in the last few weeks. Actually, I switched from soy milk to rice milk. Hmmm.) Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: beano, gas, and d ....Kat new
      #292483 - 12/04/06 07:44 PM
K2

It took me a while to figure out the connection between the gas and D. I didn't really have gas in that I was passing gas, like you said it all comes out with the D. But I noticed a bit of bloating and just 'off' feeling. And this feeling would build up during the day.

I definetly know the gas was causing my D. This makes sense since having gas causes some discomfort to the digestive system, and for me, anytime my digestive system is not completely calm, I get D.

I wouldn't think your Acacia is too high. If you make sure you're increasing slowly then you should be fine. I definetly found that adding in a lot of IF and soy caused my gas. I'm not sure if this was because my body wasn't used to it or not. Before being stable I probably had gas from the IF I was eating, but it always resulted in D anyway so I can't really compare. I did try and add IF in very slowly though, and that helped too.

--------------------
Kat

Re: The muffins-any feedback?-nt new
      #292515 - 12/05/06 08:10 AM
Jordy

--------------------

#292518 - 12/05/06 08:16 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Quote:

Frosted Cheerios
Calories 110g
Fat 1g
Carbs 23g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 12g
Other Carbs 10g
Protein 2 g

Ingredients:

The first ingredient is whole grains which can be problematic because it is IF. Are you eating SF first?

No, I was eating this alone as a snack.
I figuered 1 gram of dietary fiber, which could be IF or SF, would not be problematic.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

thanks Kat...always feeling so confused new
      #292538 - 12/05/06 09:24 AM
line415

I'm not sure what's going on with me. It seems so hard to identify every single little thing between diet and stress, etc. I took some Beano last night before eating a mixture of broccoli and carrots with white rice and chicken. No problems but some discomfort this morning like you said...now I am C. I would have thought the amount of veggies I ate last night would make me go this morning. I can't figure it out. I'm drinking a blueberry smoothie right now as I type hoping it will help me go but not send things into overdrive. I keep forgetting to drink a lot of water too so I'd better go do that (and I always remember your sit-up suggestion).

I really think my stress level plays a big part b/c ironically I was not stressed yesterday or today and my belly feels pretty calm. Although, I did go out on an adventure with my kids this morning without any anxiety. It could have been a disaster even if I just needed to have a bm, never mind d, b/c we were on the road. I don't know what to think. I can't wait till the hypno tapes come in. How are you doing with that? I know you just started..do you feel any different? Also, I was wondering if you eat anything with whole wheat in it as IF (ie., bread, cereal)? I know Heather lists it as IF but it seems like a lot of D people avoid it altogether based on many of the posts I've read. Thanks.

--------------------

Re: thanks Kat...always feeling so confused new
      #292544 - 12/05/06 09:47 AM
K2

The hypno tapes I've been putting off on discussing for a while on the boards. I've been through a few stressful weeks, haven't been good about sticking to the listening schedule, and really haven't put my best effort into it. I think this round of hypno tapes will be my first, I'll try to finish them as best I can but I don't think they will help me this time. I have already started learning how to think a bit differently so I guess it has helped somewhat. I do think that I will do the tapes a second time around, and really put all my energy into that. I've just always had this IBS mentality and it's hard to let myself think differently about it.

As for IF, I avoid whole grains like the plague LOL. I never eat whole wheat, multigrain breads, or whole grain cereals. They're just too hard on my stomach. I do fine with oatmeal, and I haven't tried brown rice. Some say brown rice is the easiest IF to manage.

Just wondering, do you consider yourself C if you don't go one day? To me, I don't know if I'd really think of that as C, in terms of being worried about it I mean. If I go a day without a BM it's just because my stomach is calm, and doesn't need to 'go'. After a few days obviously I'll start doing things to try and go.

--------------------
Kat

#292545 - 12/05/06 09:49 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I never look at the fiber content on nutrition labels - basically it doesn't tell you much. The major issue here is that whole grains are the first ingredient in this product. I definitely would not eat this without a good SF base first.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#292548 - 12/05/06 10:17 AM
line415

Yeah, I hope that I'll be able to follow through on the tapes too b/c it seems like that is necessary to get the full effect. You seem very aware of your IBS, so hopefully when you put full time into the tapes, you'll really get a positive outcome.

And yes, I realize that not going one day is not C, but it's after two days that I start to worry. I call it C I guess for me b/c I'm usually d or at least go daily if not multiple times/day. It seems odd how last week I was going so much and now not at all for a few days. I know that definition that everyone points out (about what's normal...could be 3 times/day or 3 times/week)...it's just that I have that same mentality you mentioned about IBS, and I just worry that when I do eventually go, it will be d. Maybe I should remember that I am on the EFI diet now and with the Acacia there is a less chance of that happening? I guess I worry too that stress will cause me to have d if I have "more in my body to get rid of" if that makes sense. We are going on a trip Thursday so I want to stay as stable as possible this week and "going" each day would make me feel so much better...that there won't be so much in me if I get nervous and send myself into d Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Do you know what I mean? I so wish that my mind just didn't even think about it!

--------------------

#292632 - 12/05/06 09:08 PM
Naturapanic

It's safe to assume then I was having problems with this due to the whole grain ingredient?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

which food are you talking about with whole grain? n/t new
      #292735 - 12/06/06 05:28 PM
line415

--------------------

Re: which food are you talking about with whole grain? n/t new
      #293456 - 12/13/06 10:08 AM
Naturapanic

Alright well I bought a different cereal yesterday, Fruit Loops.
The same thing occured, I felt bloated with trapped gas.
Is there any plausable reason why seemingly safe cereal with water does this?

Here are the nutrition facts and ingredients.
Calories 120
Fat 10
Carbs 28
Dietary Fiber 1
Sugars 15
Protein 1

Sugar; corn flour; wheat flour; oat flour; partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (one or more of: coconut, cottonseed, and soybean); salt; sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C); niacinamide; reduced iron; natural orange, lemon, cherry, raspberry, blueberry, lime, and other natural flavors; red #40; blue #2; zinc oxide; yellow #6; turmeric color; pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6); blue #1; riboflavin (vitamin B2); thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1); annatto color; vitamin A palmitate; BHT (preservative); folic acid; vitamin B12 ; vitamin D.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5951

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review