All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
what are people taking??
      #291691 - 11/28/06 05:49 PM
daneam

Reged: 11/21/06

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to know what people are taking for their IBS problems. I have IBS-D with loads of trapped gas and gerd, so I guess I'm just trying to see what works for other people cause I'm not really sure if what I'm taking is working right for me. ( I understand that not everything works the same for people, but it's nice to get some recommendations)

I also wanted to know if anyone else was taking any of the same stuff I am and what they think.

**I'm taking Jarro-Dophilus EPS as a probiotic (used to take Jarro w/ FOS but it just made my gas worse)
**I take Acid Soothe by Enzymedica as a digestive enzyme because it doesn't have protease in it which can aggrivate gastritis.
**I'm also on Protonix for gerd
**Hyoscyamine which is a antispasmodic
**Heather's fiber

Does anyone take other types of fiber? I want to buy a more portable kind for when I'm away from home, but I'm nervous about the types that can cause more gas.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what are people taking?? new
      #291713 - 11/28/06 08:18 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi, have you tried drinking any fennel tea? It's great for gas and bloating.

Well, not much new
      #291732 - 11/28/06 11:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have to admit that I stopped taking a fiber supplement... not because it didn't work (it did!), but because I'm desperately poor and I just couldn't afford to buy it anymore. That said, it did make a difference, and it's the only thing I ever took with any regularity.

The fiber supplement I used was FiberChoice. I chose it specifically because it was portable (chewable tablets) and easy to take, but it is one of the "gassier" supplements. (I never had any gas problems with it.)

Sooo... anyway...

* FiberChoice (not anymore)
* Peppermint tea as an antispasmodic (works perfectly!)
* Imodium (OTC antidiarrheal), 1 tablet as needed for emergencies

I second the vote for trying fennel for the gas - from what I've heard, it really works very well, and it's a cheap OTC natural remedy, all plusses in my book.

I don't have GERD, but I did always have a lot of heartburn... the interesting thing is that it eventually cleared up completely while following Heather's diet. I don't expect it to work that way for everyone, but just to say that the diet changes may have some pleasantly unexpected effects on the rest of your GI tract, too.

#291749 - 11/29/06 06:03 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Daily:
- Primal Defense probiotic (1 with dinner)
- Acacia fiber (~4 teaspoons spread over about 16 hours)
- Eater's Digest tea (1 cup after dinner)
- Peppermint and/or fennel tea (at least one cup)

The fennel tea is great for gas.

As Needed:
- Digest Gold digestive enzymes (often before eating out)
- Heather's peppermint capsules
- Easy Now tea (for stress)
- Immodium (very rarely and in tiny doses)
- Flax Seed Oil capsules (also rarely, but for C)
- Nux Vomica (homeopathic remedy)

The peppermint capsules and the nux vomica are what I reach for most often when I am not feeling well. I tend to treat D with more supplements/teas/remedies, while I tend to address C mainly through adjustments to my diet.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#291751 - 11/29/06 06:12 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I take (in order of importance):
Acacia - 6 tsp spread throughout day
Beano - to prevent gas from most IF and soy foods
Imodium - when needed
BIO-K+ - probiotic 1/2 bottle in the morning (just started recently)
Peppermint caps - usually with dinner, always when going to a restauarant

Also some vitamins:
B12 vitamin - daily
Calcium - daily

I have tried many other things but these are the ones I settled on. I tried fennel seeds (chew and swallow them instead of making tea), and gas-x when I was having gas problems, but my 'cure' for gas was the Beano.

--------------------
Kat

Too embarrassed to admit! new
      #291826 - 11/29/06 12:24 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Including meds and supplements, it totals to about 10 or eleven things. Um, maybe 12!

And no, I'm not stable....just broke! Can't figure out which ones are helping...if any.

I'm really surprised more people aren't taking digestive enzymes.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Too embarrassed to admit! new
      #291830 - 11/29/06 12:49 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I take a lot, too, so you're not alone on this one!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Re: Too embarrassed to admit! new
      #291834 - 11/29/06 01:04 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I just 2 others...fish oil caps and peppermint caps...so that would bring me to 14. Wow, never stopped and actually counted them.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291853 - 11/29/06 02:14 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

- Acacia - about 1 tsp 3 times a day
- magnesium citrate (only rarely)
- pepermint caps (only very rarely, when I suspect I ate too much or something bad, just as a preventive)
- beano on the rare days that I eat beans

I am stable, IBS-C

I used to take dairy-zyme a dietary supplement with lactase and some enzymes, but my doctor told me just the lactase might be useful for me (since all my protein levels were good according to the tests) and I am not lactose intollerant so I stopped taking that.

#291863 - 11/29/06 02:56 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I don't take anything except prenatal vitamins because I can't stomach regular multi-vitamins. I have considered taking a probiotic, but they were so expensive that I didn't buy them. I am a little paranoid about medicines and possible side effects, so I just chose to go about this by altering my diet. I have been fortunate to be able to stabilize without the need for any other supplements or medications so far. I think some people just need a little extra support from supplements or medications to stabilize and some don't. The fiber supplements, I think, are great if you need them. I wouldn't rush into the meds or other less natural products, though, until you've honestly tried the diet.

I realize this isn't the subject of this thread... it's just a little peave of mine that I felt like mentioning... I have kept pretty strictly to the EFI diet (except for my one occasional cheat food), and I stabilized in just a few months. But I am serious about being strict with it. The ONLY thing I ever eat that is not "safe" is a slice or two of pizza from the local place here because it doesn't make me sick. That's really it. Otherwise, I ALWAYS eat only safe foods. ALWAYS. I see a lot of people on here talking about frustration with not being stable, but then they are eating all kinds of junk. I don't get it. My dad does the same thing. He's had IBS for years, but he still eats all kinds of stuff he shouldn't, and he's sick all the time. He still functions and does his job and all, but he always has an upset stomach. I can't understand why he wouldn't want to feel better. Oh well... to each his own...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5337

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review