All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Having a tough day.....
      #291579 - 11/28/06 07:29 AM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

Thanksgiving went really well. I ate unsafe and safe foods, but didn't overdo it. However, I guess I must have been feeling cocky cuz since then I have been on a binge off and on and it's finally culminated in very bad cramps, bloating, and general discomfort. I am feeling like a terrible failure cuz I should be able to take charge of this... but I start to feel deprived if I cant have what my sister or husband eating and I decide to eat it anyway. I have eaten ice cream, cheese, chocolate, fried foods etc etc etc. Someone please hit me over the head - that would be less painful than what I am doing to myself. Does anyone else do this? I feel so stupid right now. Why can't I take better care of me?

I just really needed to vent. Hopefully I will put myself back on track TODAY!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having a tough day..... new
      #291594 - 11/28/06 08:42 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

D -- What prompted you to start the EFI diet? For me, it was an utter low. I was scared of all food, pretty much, and having maybe 6 good days between attack and the end of recovery. For me, hitting that rock bottom was what got me started and what makes it easier to stick.

I don't know anything about your family, but what if you asked your husband to help you get this started by limiting the number of trigger foods or temptations in the house? Would your family go for that? Even if just for a few weeks? I miss cheese less now that there's none in the house.

Oh, and for ice cream? If you tolerate soy well, try the chocolate Tofutti Cuties sandwiches. Not sure that they're totally kosher, but in a pinch, they're WAY better than ice cream.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#291596 - 11/28/06 08:45 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Don't be so hard on yourself - just gently remind yourself why you want to be on the EFI lifestyle and go from there - this is a new day. I myself can get upset with having to not incorporate certain foods into my diet but then I remember what I am trying to do - stablize! Debbie IBS-A

#291752 - 11/29/06 06:19 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

LOL I've done this countless times. My cheat is always chocolate and it always hits me hard. It starts with the frustration of just not being able to eat what I want, and ends with physical pain, and guilt and feeling stupid for doing it to myself. Just remember it does go away, eat safely for a few days and you will feel better.

Usually in these times I try something new to make myself feel less 'trapped' by food. I look at the recipe index and choose something that sounds tasty either a full dinner or a dessert. Making myself something good for my IBS that tastes good helps to make me feel better. I feel like I've got it under control again, and that I actually accomplished something out of the situation.

Hope you feel better soon! No more cheating!

--------------------
Kat

#291761 - 11/29/06 06:39 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Good morning!

Like for so many our "pushing the limits" with our IBS snowballs into a flared up tummy and feelings of despair and shame. As you know firsthand, this is not a place you want to hang out for long right? At some point, when you have reached your personal "enough already" point you will:

1. accept and truly know that you have IBS
2. design an eating plan that keeps you stable
3. find pleasure in other things besides those darn foods that always make you sick AND then when you have the occasional flare-up, the hammer you keep hitting yourself over the head has been tossed to the side and replaced with your own hands gently holding yourself with compassion and tenderness for all that you are....which by the way is MAGNIFICENT!

.....yes, been here done all that!

~Alicia

#291766 - 11/29/06 06:48 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Oh yeah, almost forgot...... You are NOT stupid. You are simply in a learning mode of how to be with IBS as a part of your life. See, now isn't that much better than stupid?

Lots of love to you from me. I know you can do this!

~Alicia

Thanks to all of you... new
      #291799 - 11/29/06 09:12 AM
DivineDivaD

It's so good to know there are others out there who understand and are willing to listen to each other and lend their advice and support. I have a lot of work to do and a lot of learning to do regarding this subject. I wish I had started years ago. But at least I know where I can go with questions now. I'm sure most of you have "heard it all". I need to find some motivation and adopt a "just do it" attitude.

Growing up Italian has and always will be a challenge for me. Everything we do revolves around food. There isn't a single occassion that food is NOT the main focus. It is very difficult and I really dont and cant expect my family to change their ways after alllllll these many years. They do support me and will even say to me - dont do it... you know you'll be sorry tomorrow ... when I'm about to eat something unsafe. But simply put - I have to make the decision not to put unsafe foods in my mouth. I have to be stronger and more motivated.

Again... I just wanted to say thanks for all your words.
I'm glad to be a part of this community of caring individuals.

--------------------

Re: Thanks to all of you... new
      #291802 - 11/29/06 09:39 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

D-- My Irish family is the same way about food, but add drink in there, too. Everything worth celebrating is/was worth celebrating with food. On the plus side, there are some celebratory foods in the recipe index that I'm willing to serve other people, so I still can participate. Just remember that you want to enjoy being with your family -- and it's hard to do that when you feel, literally, like well, you know.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#291812 - 11/29/06 11:01 AM
Joaniebird

Reged: 09/30/06
Loc: Connecticut

Hi,
I am way older than you (I saw your cute pic) and I did the same thing over Thanksgiving. I just couldn't resist some things. However, since I did most of the cooking, when I mashed the white potatoes, I only put in a little bit of butter and milk and with the sweet potatoes, I put in apple juice, cinnamon, apple pie spice and brown sugar with only a tiny bit of butter. However, I made our family stuffing recipe which is filled with sausage and three cheeses and of course I couldn't resist it. Not a good thing. I too am suffering this week. I just ordered a ton of teas and things from Heather to get myself back on track. Sometimes we just forget and eat things that we can't really have. I think alot has to do with other people who just think you are making it up and they urge you to have the forbidden foods "just for today." Like that's OK! Ha! Hope you feel better.

--------------------
Joaniebird

#291987 - 11/30/06 09:26 AM
DivineDivaD

OK - I'm starting to "level" off - I hope. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Geez- you think I might learn a lesson from this. All you have to do is eat unsafe a day or two and you suffer for almost a week.

Anyway, as I said before, but it bears repeating.... I thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I'm sure I'll need you all again.

BTW... thanx for the compliment Joaniebird... I needed that!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review