All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starting probiotics - symptoms as body adjusts?
      #291355 - 11/27/06 06:34 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hey guys,

it's been a LONG time since I've been on the boards as I've moved, changed jobs, all kinds of fun stuff.

I just started taking a probiotic (Kyo-dophilus w/ 3 strains of bacteria).

What, if any, symptoms did any of you experience as your body adjusted to the probiotic? I wanted to guage others' reactions (if any) so I'd know whether this particular mixture wasn't for me, or if I just have to give my body time to adjust.

Thanks for chiming in...

~ e.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starting probiotics - symptoms as body adjusts? new
      #291359 - 11/27/06 06:42 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Although I didn't experience it personally, I've heard that it can give you gas until your body adjusts, but then after you adjust, gas is better than before the probiotic.

I recently started on a different kind (one that is supposed to be one of the "better" ones), and hubby started it with me. He's had more gas, but I've had none. My theory is that I was on the "lower quality" type and maybe that started me up slow, and I adjusted better?

Hope yours works out for you.

Re: Starting probiotics - symptoms as body adjusts? new
      #291363 - 11/27/06 06:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I felt a lot of gurgling in my stomach, but not necessarily gas. It also felt like my stomach was really sensitive, as in if I ate any triggers it would have caused a bad attack. I ate safely for about a week and after that I was fine. My stomach feels normal now, not sure if it's better yet cuz I'm under a lot of stress this week.

--------------------
Kat

Which one are you taking, Melissa?-nt new
      #291365 - 11/27/06 06:48 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Metagenics Ultra Flora DF, per Kandee's suggestion -nt- new
      #291370 - 11/27/06 06:52 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks....but.... new
      #291372 - 11/27/06 06:56 AM
Jordy

Where do you find this one?

--------------------

Re: Thanks....but.... new
      #291374 - 11/27/06 07:14 AM
*Melissa*

Actually, the weird thing about this one I've found is that you can buy it from a physician in person, but you can buy it online. Weird, huh? I tried to get it at my HFS and she explained to me that they will only sell it to practitioners, but that you can get it online. I have no idea why. I ended up getting mine on Amazon the beginning of this month, but yesterday I went to order more, and I couldn't find it. I emailed the company that sent it to me to find out how to get it, but I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I have seen it on other sites, but it was more expensive, didn't specifiy shipping with cold pack (needs to be kept refrigerated), etc, so hopefully I'll hear from them today. If you want, I'll let you know how I make out.

Yes, please do! new
      #291375 - 11/27/06 07:17 AM
Jordy

I've been looking for those probiotics for a long time. I did a search and read some good things about them. My doctor has never heard of him...he's not too open minded about things besides prescriptions.

This probiotic is helping you enough to go the extra mile for it? Really?

For now, I'll stick to the Bio-K plan. BTW, which one were you on before? The cheaper ones?

--------------------

Will do! new
      #291377 - 11/27/06 07:31 AM
*Melissa*

Honestly, my IBS has been so stable for quite awhile now, that I'm not sure how it is effecting it. I was on the Jarro EPS. But, I've been the UTI queen for awhile now, and Kandee suggested a better probiotic, as they're supposed to help with that. So, that's why I switched. Don't know how they're working...it's only been a few weeks, but at least no UTI's! (I'd had 5 in the past year! ) Unfortunately, I've got to have a cystoscope (sp? it's the bladder scope) now.

But, well, if I think about it, my IBS didn't flare up when I switched, so that must be a good sign, eh?

Anyway, I emailed them this weekend, and they're in AZ, so a few hours behind, so hopefully I'll hear from them today. I'll keep you posted!

Gotta response! new
      #291389 - 11/27/06 08:31 AM
*Melissa*

This is the response I got from Brand Vitamin Discounters:

Quote:

Yes, we do carry the full line of Metagenics products including the Ultra Flora Plus DF, however to place an order with us for Metagenics products you can either call us toll free at 1-877-338-0033, or you can also place your order with us via email at orders@brandvitamindiscounters.com. We are here M-F 9am-6pm and 9am-1pm on Saturday, EST. Thank you for our inquiry and we hope to here from you soon. Have a great day!

Their price when I got it on Amazon was $32.25, and they included the cold pack at no extra charge. And, if you spend $85, they ship free (otherwise $6.95 for shipping). So, I'll probably call and order 3 bottles to get the free shipping. I liked their service before...shipped out the same day and I had the pkg in 2 days.

Also, if you Google Metagenics Ultra Flora DF, you'll find other places that sell.

HTH

Re: Gotta response! new
      #291393 - 11/27/06 08:53 AM
Jordy

Wow...that was pretty fast. Is that toll-free number to buy from Amazon or from Brand Vitamin Discounters? Just not sure if it's the same thing!

That is an expensive one too. How long does a bottle last.

Thank you so much for letting me know, Melissa! I want to try the Bio-K first...but it's nice to have a backup. I used to use the Jarrow too...but on the ingredients it lists some type of dairy....even though it says it's vegetarian. Don't quite understand that one.

--------------------

Re: Gotta response! new
      #291411 - 11/27/06 10:03 AM
*Melissa*

Yeah, I figured they'd be pretty quick, judging by their service when I ordered last time.

That number is for Brand Vitamin Discounters directly. They were selling it through Amazon, but I guess now you have to buy it direct from them.

There are 60 capsules in a bottle, and it says to use 1-2 per day. So, 1 bottle should last 1-2 months, depending on what dose you take.

Merci, beucoup!-nt new
      #291425 - 11/27/06 10:28 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review