All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
help...starting to take immodium again!
      #291291 - 11/26/06 10:16 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Well, I was doing pretty well until Thanksgiving. I "allowed" myself to cheat a bit at my mom's house. It would be virtually impossible to cook everything myself and bring it with me so I know I ate things with a bit too much fat and I had a piece of pie. Anyhow...I know...so punish me...my own fault. I guess I just felt like it was Thanksgiving!! I was doing so good for so long that I suppose I wanted to "reward" myself but the IBS diet is not just like a regular diet where you can cheat. I know, I know, I understand.

With that said, I knew I was going to have Fri. and Sat. to recover if I had a problem, but then we got invited to a social event Friday night that put me into a panic. Of course I was getting d (from the stress and from what I ate...or from the stress of knowing what I ate)...so I took some immodium and survived the evening.

Now here comes that vicious cycle again where I can be IBS-A too. No bm Sat., then one today but I have to go to a big social event this afternoon so I took Immodium b/c I'm nervous. I only took one but I think I might take one more. The problem is that with the holidays, there are soooo many activities...virtually every day there is something...some big some small...but even the small ones can freak me out. I was doing well psycholigically, feeling more confident if I ate safely, but now I'm so anxious about this month, that I feel like I am going to take Immodium almost every day, then get C a day, take it again, etc., etc...I hope I'm making sense. I know I'm rambling on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As you can tell, I'm getting myself all worked up. Would you just take Immodium for the "big events" and try to eat only sf for the small events? I don't even think I'll need IF this month b/c the stress will probably make me "go"!!!

Also, I'm taking 3 1/2 teaspoons of Acacia per day which seemed to be working well. Would now be a good time to increase?

Thank you for any encouragement you can offer.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help...starting to take immodium again! new
      #291299 - 11/26/06 12:14 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'll be happy to punish you if you insist. Maybe 50 lashes with a wet noodle for illegal eating?

Seriously, almost everyone falls off the wagon from time to time and the holidays are particularly tough. Old habits die hard. I've been doing this longer than you have and I've been drowning in a lake of Coca-Cola this weekend. (And I'm really annoyed with myself because if I was going to fall off the wagon I'd have preferred to do it with something really interesting, like Southwest Eggrolls from Chili's.)

As for what to do, I'd probably take whatever Imodium and anti-spasmodics I needed to get me through the holiday events I wanted to participate in. I'd also eat as safely as possible at all the events and eat totally safely at home. Unfortunately, I've never found that Imodium confers total food immunity on me - it can help with indiscretions but if I push things too far (remember that lake of Coca-Cola) all the Imodium in the world won't help.

One thing that might help with the eating safely at events part is to make yourself some yummy perfectly safe foods to have on hand so you can either eat a little of them before the event or keep your fingers out of the cheese balls and eggnog at parties by promising yourself you'll go home and have, say, artichoke hummus and Silknog. (Okay, that combination doesn't sound too appetizing but you get the idea.)

I don't know about the Acacia. If what you're taking seems to be enough then I don't think I'd increase just to get through the holidays. If you were planning to increase anyhow, then sure but only if your schedule is going to be such that you can stick with your increases.

HTH. And I hope you enjoy all your holidaying.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291301 - 11/26/06 01:35 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Hello,

You are talking to a former Immodium addict. I'll try to save you lots of time and frustration by chiming in with my two cents...since you put it out there to us

I used to take Immodium to compensate for my poor eating choices when I was out socially. As Sand stated, some of the time it worked but once your gut is aggravated there is no amount of Immodium that can stop you from getting sick. Honestly, looking back in time I now see that I took Immodium to avoid me truly dealing with my IBS head on. I wasn't willing to admit that my gut could no longer tolerate the food things that gave me pleasure for so long. My intuition told me that it was time to take this condition seriously and put some work into the necessary changes that needed to take place, BUT I didn't want to do the work to make it so. In many ways I was acting childish when what my IBS was needing me to do was to grow up and take charge of my life.

Three years later, I am IBS stable. I have completely evolved as a human being in the way I handle stress and the acceptance of "what is" (I have IBS), and the food choices I make. My overall health has improved since most of the foods I needed to eliminate were toxic to my body to begin with. Little did I know that my IBS was a blessing in disguise.

All this to say, is this, keep the Immodium in your purse just in case. Go out socially but choose wholesome choices when you're there and just in case there aren't any (till you become stable) eat something IBS safe before you go or take a little something with you that is. I still keep the Immodium in my purse but haven't used it in over 2 years now all because I've learned the truth about how to be with my IBS condition. Your IBS condition is calling you forth to take action with it. Immodium puts off the inevitable to a later time. I know you can do this! Please feel free to write me if you want to talk further. Keep smiling, things will get better!

~Alicia

#291408 - 11/27/06 09:48 AM
line415

Thank you Ms.Mindful and Sand. Yes, I am slowly "accepting" that the IBS is not going to go away. I can't pretend that my belly can handle more than it really can just b/c I'm feeling so much better from being on this site and following the guidelines. In a small way, I suppose when I take the Immodium, I mistakenly feel that I can "cheat" a bit but that's not really why I'm taking it. It's b/c I get so stressed out about going into social situations while worrying about d that I need the immodium as both a physical and psychological way to keep me calm and help me actually enjoy myself.

There have been a few times in these past months where I have had minor attacks and taken the immodium to stop them, but the other times, I think it is just my own mind exacerbating my bms when really I might not even get d if I knew I would be home. The difference is the eating safe...I have to keep reminding myself that if I eat safely, I SHOULD be okay..."should" being the key word. I'm still at a point where I feel like the diet doesn't matter...I could still get d at the drop of a dime and then I'd be so depressed if the eating right didn't control it. I know that Heather's diet and Acacia, etc. are not full-proof...that IBS is temperamental...and when you add in other factors (stress, etc.), you are never really "safe." That's why I keep wanting to take the immodium as a crutch. If I eat safely and have an attack, I will be back at square one psycologically b/c I will feel helpless over the IBS. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Is it just that a lot of time has to go by without attacks and becoming stable to make me really believe that d won't happen at inopportune moments? It's such a vicious cycle b/c I know my stress about d starts the d... ugh!!

I was thinking about getting the hypno cds...I don't know...I don't really want to spend the money b/c I am so busy that I don't know that I could really follow through with them the way they are supposed to work.

As far as the Acacia increasing goes, aside from this holiday hoopla that has gotten me in a tiffy, I was still wondering if I should increase? I am eating a decent amount of IF without any major attacks but sometimes my belly feels a little vulnerable, if you know what I mean. I think I'll stay the same right now b/d I don't foresee myself eating too much IF this month out of fear of an SF/IF imbalance to go along with my stress and schedule.

Well, sorry this post is so long. I feel okay today...vulnerable, but I made it through half the day. Now the problem is that I haven't had any IF and don't want to b/c I have plans this evening with my kids. Please let me know if anyone has anything else to add to how I am feeling.

--------------------

#291417 - 11/27/06 10:17 AM
Sand

I think what you're feeling with regard to fear of an IBS attack prompting an IBS attack is perfectly normal. It's certainly what I feel. And I really don't think there's anything wrong with using Imodium to give you a little psychological help in situations where you are nervous about your IBS.

Even when I eat perfectly safely, I can still worry myself into an IBS attack by being afraid of one. Yes, I know I "should" be okay but I also know there's a chance I won't be and if that means I need Imodium to get me out and about instead of sitting at home, I'll take it. As I've had more good experiences going places and doing things, I've been less anxious about doing more and going further.

Here's a post I did quite a while back - it might sound familiar to you.

As for the hypno, it is a long-term committment. I started it, got very close to finishing it, had some non-IBS health issues, and abandoned it. I do feel like it was helping with the "vicious cycle" anxiety and I do plan to go back to it. But if you can't set the time aside every day then there isn't much point in buying them. I listened when I went to bed so maybe that would work for you.

HTH. I'm glad you made it through your weekend and I hope you enjoyed yourself, too.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291423 - 11/27/06 10:27 AM
ms.mindful

Hello again,

Yes, I know how challenging it is to follow your eating plan and then to still have and IBS attack. My heart is right with you on that. Psychologically one can feel defeated and begin to hold no hope. You're not alone feeling like that my friend. You are in "discovery" mode around what works for your own particular body. As far as whether or not to make additional changes (increasing Acacia) that gets to be your call. What works for one person may not work for another. Personally, I haven't tried Acacia but did do the Metamucil/Benefiber thing and it proved to be unsuccessful for me. I was much better off starting off my meals with bread/starch(baked potato). But once again the ONLY way you will know what works for your unique life/body is to take new foods out for a test drive and journal their reactions.
Here is one of my previous posts for you to read:

"Hello Spence,

The previous posts have valuable information for you. What I really know to be true and hear in your voice is that there are so many different ways to approach your healing, it's difficult to decide where to begin or which things to incorporate. Please know that I get where you're at right now emotionally dealing with all that's in front of you. So, take a deep breath and make your first few choices. Most importantly, begin with the Break the Cycle program so you can begin with a blank page. Speaking of "page", here is the next critical piece to implement in the beginning. Start a journal where you note what you ate at each meal and any IBS reactions you may have experienced. Also track any particularly stressful events that come your way. By doing this you are creating a true factual log of how your body reacts to certain foods/stressful situations. This was KEY to my recovery and helped deepen the learning on how my individual body works.

Yes, in the end, I have completely eliminated certain foods from my diet forever, but guess what? ....those particular foods weren't wholesome ones to begin with so I win in the end! Also, my log helped me to see what/who brings stress into my life. I wish you all the best and please keep the faith that you WILL get this under control!"

---- I strongly recommend that you find a way to manage your stress. This was a huge piece for me. Again, try different things on just like the foods. It may be the hypnosis tapes, it could be meditation at a local center, it could be going for a walk. It is critical for you to see that the natural you is not your inner critic's thoughts. Go seek out something that brings the wheels in your mind to slow down so that you can clearly see what you need to "be" to get through this...and I know you will get through this.

Best,
Alicia

Thank you...the encouragement and understanding are sooo helpful... new
      #291436 - 11/27/06 11:36 AM
line415

I am so happy that I found this website. I have never ever met anyone who truly understands and can empathize whole-heartedly with what I am feeling and how IBS affects EVERYTHING in your life. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Ms.Mindful...thank you for your kind words and encouragement that I will get through this. I used to journal with no pattern, but now that I am eating better and know what to look for, I think I'll try again. Sand...I didn't read the entire thread of yours from '05, but I was wondering about the Donnatel and Equalactin. I already take Librax for some anxiety and slowing down the bowels (I guess)and I used to take Lexapro but it didn't make that much of a difference IBS wise. I do think the Librax works so I take that morning and night. Like you, I occassionally (I think I've only taken 3 whole pills in 1 year), I wanted a miracle drug for those iffy situations. I have Clonzapam (sp?) which is supposed to be like a tranquilizer. My regular physician prescribed it to use for my anxiety just until the Lexapro kicked in. But I have used it on airplane flights and once or twice when I started to have a panic attack. I need to do some research on it and find out any side effects. I don't want to be addicted, but sometimes I think I just need that something to take the edge off...SITUATIONAL...not daily. I'm wondering if the Donnatel is something like that. I had tried Levsin years back but pretty much thought it was a joke..it did nothing for me. Are those other ingredients in Donnatel what really helps? (PS...while reading your previous posts, it is hard to believe that you are so much more confident now...you sound like a different person and that gives me hope.)

--------------------

Re: Thank you...the encouragement and understanding are sooo helpful... new
      #291447 - 11/27/06 12:33 PM
ms.mindful

You are so very welcome. This site was a lifesaver for me when I was where you are and that is why I'm back here again...to lend my support if someone needs and wants it. Everyone on this site is so "here" for you, so chin up and put that smile back on your face and in your heart!
Oh yeah... please feel free to call me Alicia

Donnatal and Equalactin new
      #291450 - 11/27/06 12:52 PM
Sand

Donnatal contains 3 anti-spasmodics:
Hyoscyamine Sulfate (this is what's in Levsin)
Atropine Sulfate
Scopolamine Hydrobromide

It also contains Phenobarbital which is a mild sedative.

I don't know if it's the combination of the three different anti-spasmodics or the addition of the phenobarbital that makes it so effective for me. I don't drive when I'm taking this - if you decide to try it you'll have to see how much it affects you before you try driving while taking it.

I take the short-acting version: 1 tablet every 4-6 hours. The Donnatal Website doesn't even talk about this, just about the Extentabs so I hope Donnatal isn't phasing out the shorter ones.

Equalactin is a Soluble Fiber Supplement. A lot of people swear by it but it is expensive compared to others. I tried it once a while back when I was on the verge of an attack. It did nothing to stop the attack as it seems to for Bevvy so I just think of it as a pricey SFS.

What you say about my sounding so much more confident now is a good reminder for me of how sick and desperate I was when I first found this Website and how far I've come. Thanks.

--------------------

You Rock Sand !!!! -nt- new
      #291456 - 11/27/06 01:36 PM
ms.mindful

#291473 - 11/27/06 02:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to say I completely understand how your feeling. I've always wanted to cut out the Imodium but haven't really figured that out yet, even though I'm stable and do fine with my diet.

This past week has been stressful with presentations, projects due, and exams. I've been popping the Imodium again just to get through it. Now I'm a bit C so hopefully the next few days nothing stressful will happen that I need to take more Imodium. I hope I can do a little better over the next few weeks before xmas.

This is pretty much my last hurdle with IBS. I've got the diet going really well, exercise (when I do it) is going great, it's only during stressful times that I turn to Imodium. I'm starting the hypno tapes, and am on day 25 or so. So far it is helping me overall, but not when I'm dealing with a lot of stress. I hope you consider getting the tapes, it's not too hard to follow them. I listen every night when I go to bed, and it doesn't interfere with my day, or 'add' any stress to it.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

--------------------
Kat

Thanks to all of you! N/T new
      #291491 - 11/27/06 05:23 PM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review