All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What is stablization? Really need some info please.
      #291116 - 11/24/06 01:37 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, CAn anyone give me some info as to what stablization actually is considered? Does it mean totally IBS sympton free? Thank you very much! Debbie IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is stablization? Really need some info please. (edited) new
      #291121 - 11/24/06 02:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

To me stability means that I can live my day to day life without being limited by concerns about my IBS. It means that about 95% of the time I'm symptom free. It doesn't - yet - mean I never, ever have IBS symptoms nor does it mean I'm absolutely fearless with regard to my IBS.

Before I found this Website, going to the library - which is literally a 10 minute drive - was nerve wracking for me. Now I do errands without giving my tummy a second thought. I go on daytrips just for fun, take overnight trips, flew to Arizona in the Spring, drive to Alabama to visit relatives, and so on. I'm beginning to plan on going into New York City to visit museums and see shows - that will be another item checked off my list.

Will I ever be able to do absolutely everything in the world without thinking about my IBS? I don't know but I'm working on finding out.

About 90% of my stability is from following the Diet Guidelines. As long as I eat right I never have food-related IBS attacks. The other 10% is from figuring out what situations will give my tummy fits and knowing how to use meds to handle them. For some reason, I repeatedly make the mistake of trying to go without meds in situations that I know are going to stress my tummy. I don't know why - it's not like I'm going to become an Imodium addict.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (11/24/06 02:52 PM)

#291125 - 11/24/06 02:57 PM
feelinggood

Thank you Sand. I defnitely am not stablized as of yet - I cannot figure it out - I ate the same things as I have for weeks and yet today I get gurgly, and BM with water - still some formed BM in it but some water? I cannot figure it out and I just get frustrated at these times. Now I am nervous to try the eggplant hummus that I made but I need to start adding in varation .......thanks, Debbie IBS-A

#291127 - 11/24/06 03:11 PM
feelinggood

During the process to stabilization do you still add in foods along the way (of course not trigger foods) and just slowly start to stabilize - I have added in acacia but still may need to up my dose and I always eat SF with every meal, usually first, drink fennel tea and do need to drink more water, need to get better sleep but do get good walking and swimming in. with me the biggest annoyance is that crampy feeling in the bowel that you are not emptied out. Thanks, Debbie IBS_A

Re: What is stablization? Really need some info please. new
      #291133 - 11/24/06 03:48 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Hello,

Great question you asked about stabilization. Sand had great input and I have to agree with her. Please know and believe this: Right now you are on a discovery journey about what will stabilize you. It took me a good 6 months of journaling every meal and any reactions I had to it, to learn how my body reacted so that I could begin to create a stabilized diet. Please trust that you will know the freedom and ease again about going out into the world and living without fear. There are many puzzle pieces that need to come together for you to know "stable". Keep being proactive, keep smiling, visit this site often for support, and don't ever give up!
Please feel free to write if you want to talk further. Best of luck to you feelinggood!

~Alicia

#291141 - 11/24/06 04:49 PM
feelinggood

Thank you Alicia for your supportive words! I guess I am just frustrated as I was doing so well and now trapped gas and oh, you know. Debbie IBS-A

#291251 - 11/25/06 04:12 PM
ms.mindful

You're welcome Debbie! I totally know the frustration your feeling. Sometimes it feels like taking one step forward two steps back. It WILL change as long as your dedicated to the process of learning all about you! Keep remembering how magnificent you are! Keep breathing and smiling, that helps too!

~Alicia

#291317 - 11/26/06 04:40 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

To me stability is a combination of many things...

* Having normal, regular BMs, not D or C, and not feeling nauseated all the time
The first step to this, of course, was altering my diet. The only time I have D now is if I allow myself to get overly stressed or anxious, and I have been working on that, too. I honestly can't remember the last time I had D, but I believe that the last time I had a terrible D attack was in August, and it was caused by eating an unsafe food. I was fine within an hour or two and able to eat normally at the next meal.

* Being able to live a "normal" life without fear of leaving home and having constant access to a bathroom. While this was not a major fear of mine, it certainly did control my choices about where I would go or plans I would make (or cancel). I spent all day Friday shopping at the sales and having a great time with no bathroom worries whatsoever. I couldn't have done that a year ago.

* Being able to safely eat a variety of yummy foods
This is still a learning process for me. I started eating primarily chicken breast and rice or pasta every day. I was afraid to try anything else that might upset the balance. Soon I began working in other safe foods, one at a time. My favorites are GardenBurger flame-grilled soy burgers, Amy's Family marinara sauce (I put in tofu and serve with pasta), fresh French bread, stir fry with shrimp or chicken, tilapia, and today I tried SoyBoy tofu ravioli with my marinara sauce... delicious! I am now to the point that I'm trying to branch out and experiment with new foods and continue working more IF into my meals. I'm loving this new-found freedom!

* Getting beyond the depressing fact that I can't eat my old favorite foods anymore
This didn't bother me at first because I was only concerned about making the D and nausea stop. However, once I became pretty much stable I started craving unsafe foods again. For a while it made me really sad, but now it has just started to inspire me to be more creative in my cooking and find new safe favorites. Of course, it is still frustrating sometimes when trying to plan a meal with a group of people or find a safe restaurant to go to, but that is not a daily problem and certainly not an issue that can't be remedied with a little planning on my part. I now view my IBS as more of a food allergy... I just have to keep in mind what's safe and what's not and read the food labels before I choose to eat something.

* Dealing with the anxiety that I've been plagued with since my IBS peaked last year
Through prayer, Bible study, counseling, and learning to relax and rediscover what I enjoy I have been able to drastically reduce my stress and anxiety. Of course, getting my diet under control helped, too, because I was constantly nauseated and my biggest fear was throwing up... I almost never do (haven't in probably 5 years), but I am deathly afraid of it. I was having daily anxiety problems when my IBS was the worst. I was constantly struggling with it and felt like I was losing my mind. Once I got my diet fixed and realized I was still having occasional D attacks, I knew I needed to deal with the anxiety.... my last trigger. Anxiety is just like any other trigger. If you allow yourself to partake, you will get a tummy ache. I still have some minor anxiety, but I am usually able to get it under control before it spirals and makes me sick at my stomach. I now realize that the anxiety attacks were just my way of escaping a scary situation. I now have to find other ways to escape or deal with the fear without letting myself get sick over it. It's definitely a process, but it's going well so far.

I can't begin to express my gratitude for Heather's books and all the people on this site. I don't know where I'd be without all of you. Yes I do... I'd probably be in the bathroom...

#291325 - 11/26/06 06:21 PM
ms.mindful

Julie,

Loved reading your post and I'm thrilled that you have found stability with your IBS. You're right on the money with your definition. Congratulations and keep up the good work of living your life to it's fullest, even when life throws you a curve ball!

~Alicia

good to hear new
      #291336 - 11/26/06 08:23 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

It was a pleasure to read your post because it's so very similar to my own story. I am having a very hard time with anxiety/depression lately and have been trying very hard to chill out and be happy because I know it upsets my guts. Anyway, thanks so much for your post and I'm happy that you've come so far!

#291356 - 11/27/06 06:35 AM
feelinggood

Thank you for sharing your information - I enjoyed reading it very much and it is very helpful. STablization - yummy foods, Soemthing to look forward to. Debbie IBS-A

#291690 - 11/28/06 05:47 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Your post is awesome. Thank you for all the information. Glad to know you are doing well.

Re: good to hear new
      #291849 - 11/29/06 02:09 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

In general how long does stabilization take?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: good to hear new
      #291866 - 11/29/06 03:07 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

For me it was a few months of eating PERFECTLY... no cheating. I think it is different for each person, and certainly different based on how serious you are about stabilizing. If you want to be stable but you continue to eat trigger foods, you aren't going to stabilize very quickly (if at all). I think it all depends on your body and on your willingness to do what it takes to follow the clear instructions to get there. For some people, even eating right, I think it could take up to a year. It really is different for everyone.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review