All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
urgency to have bowel movements
      #290769 - 11/20/06 09:31 PM
coda

Reged: 11/20/06

I am 39 year old Male,

I have been diagnosed 10 years ago with a nervouse stomach.
Had every stomach test imaginable done. all is fine.

Ive had this problem over 10 years now.
will i ever get rid of this problem.
ok here it goes.

I am always afraid of having bowel movements.(Urgent Bowel Movements)
I cant make a dentist appointment.
i have to psych myself up to get a hair cut.
i cant drive with anyone else in my car other than my wife and daughter.(most of the times.
I can be totally fine until a co worker says hey lets go for lunch, then the nervousness begins. and i make up an excuse not to go , or i tell them ill meet them and drive alone.
I am taking Clonazepam 1-3 mg per day for the last 8 years.
helps me calm down a bit but not totally.
when the urgancy to have a bm arises it is real.
i Dont drive anywhere unless i have my bucket, toilet paper and wet wipes in the back of my truck. (dark tinted windows)
i am a manager of a warehouse and the job is very stressful.
i have to do a presentation in front of all the regional mangagers in early December.

i am afraid i will get an attack.
i am geting more stressed as the days get closer.
I feel like a prisoner as i dont do alot of things with my family.
i have searched the web and can not really find anyone who has this type of problem.
I want to be normal again do all the things ive done when i was younger.
I am hoping to get some opinions and ideas to overcome this fear or phobia or is it the brain in my gut thing.

Thanks
Coda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: urgency to have bowel movements new
      #290771 - 11/20/06 09:37 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can relate to that. That kind of anxiety is common with people who have IBS. The problem is that, since IBS can be triggered by stress or anxiety, the more nervous you are about it, the more likely you are to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You need to take whatever measures possible to address the anxiety problem. For some people, it's as simple as yoga, meditation, and other self-help... others need hypnotherapy or therapy... others (like me!) need strong medication. There is a definite mind-gut relationship, and it HAS to be addressed if you want to get stable.

Eating well will also help. Do read up about the IBS diet, outlined on the site - the link is in the sidebar, to the left. It's a bit of reading, but it's so worth it!

Good luck!

#290803 - 11/21/06 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In addition to what AtomicRose said, there are a couple medications that may help directly with urgency. One is Imodium - you just buy it over the counter. Some people take it every day or even twice a day as a preventive. I take it as needed. If I know I'm going to be in a stressful situation, I take it beforehand, usually one about an hour before whatever is going to stress me out, then another about a half hour beforehand. Some people take four. If you take too many you'll probably pay for it with constipation for a few days afterward but sometimes it's worth it to get through what you need to do.

You can also talk to your doctor about anti-spasmodics. These calm the muscles of the gut making it less likely to spasm. They may make you a little spacy so if you decide to go this route be sure to try them before your big presentation. I take Donnatol but that also has phenobarbitol in it so you may not be able to drive while taking it. There are other anti-spasmodics, though, that don't have any type of sedative in them.

I think reading through the Diet guidelines and starting to follow them is crucial, though. Before I began to get my symptoms under control using Heather's diet, medications did little to help me. Now I don't need them most of the time and when I do they can provide that last little bit of help.

You say:

Quote:

i have searched the web and can not really find anyone who has this type of problem.

Now you've found a whole bunch of people who have this problem. If you have more questions, just ask.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#290870 - 11/21/06 02:56 PM
LAGuy

Reged: 09/08/04
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hey Coda,

I get the same way sometimes. Over the past year, it has gotten better though. I used to panic being stuck in slow traffic or going anywhere that was unfamiliar to me (new shopping malls, amusement parks and new restaurants).

You will find plenty of info on diet and supplements here on this site. I tried several prescriptions but they were always too harsh. What I do now is the day before, I try not to eat anything too heavy and have plenty of water. Usually, the day of, I would gently sip on Pepto Bismol or have two Pepto chewables an hour before going out. I also had to start psyching myself up and with time it became easier. Alot of times now, I can go out and run errands without taking anything. Sometimes in psyching myself up, I yell at myself like a military drill instructor (usually alone in my car on the way there) just saying that I can do this and if everyone else can do, so can I. After a good chew out, I usually feel a calm come over me. Sometimes you have to hear yourself clearly to get the message through. It can't hurt to try it.

The worst thing you can do is continuing to think you need to use the restroom all the time. Once you fall and stay in that mode, it becomes more difficult to overcome it.

Good luck.

#290923 - 11/21/06 08:31 PM
coda

Reged: 11/20/06

Thanks guys for the quick response, it feels good to know im not alone with this problem, i will definitly try the ibs diet, and i was also considering hypnosis as reading through a write up on this site, its probably the only thing i havent tried.
Do simple things such as getting a hair cut or dentist appointments get the butterflies happining?
Have you been able to over come it enough to travel with Someone e.g neighbor or co worker?

I will also try all the above mentioned, somethings got to help.

Thanks again for the input.

Any additional comments would be of great support to me.

im glad i found this site.

Coda

#290930 - 11/22/06 03:04 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I have the same problem with driving with others, but I can do it when I have to now. I usually still like to drive myself or hubby. I take immodium most days in the morning. It does get better and you will find relief from this thing called IBS if you make some dietary changes and find the right supplements. One thing that helps me is Acacia found on this website. Follow directions on starting it, go slowly. I take Lorazapam when I'm facing something like the dentist or a meeting I'm not comfortable with. The hypno CD's have helped with my stress level. It sounds like a lot of info but I know you are miserable right now so go for it with all the fight of a drowning man! This is your life and it can get better as many around here can testify!! Glad your here and read the whole site, not just the boards. Heather's books are full of valuable information that applies to all the problems you discussed.
Welcome!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1034 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review