All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Teenage IBS -- Help
      #29041 - 11/26/03 05:00 AM
corysmom

Reged: 11/25/03

I have been visiting this site for about a week now. My son has had IBS for quite a few years (he is now almost 16), but just diagnosed last week. A doctor suggested that I go to this site and try the diet. I went to the local book store and bought both books and stocked the pantry with new food. He has been on the diet for about six days and his episodes of diarrhea have slowed down some, but he is having a lot of stomach pain and still does not feel well at all. So far this school year, he has missed approximately 30 days of school (and flunking all this nine weeks). This is the part that I am having a difficult time with. The teachers want him in school (so do I), but he obviously cannot go when he is in the bathroom more than he is anywhere else. Most of his teachers are not understanding and have the philosophy that he can wait -- well he can't (this has turned into a vicious cycle). He has been in therapy for about three months now (as recommended by one of his gastroenterologists), but so far I have not seen any real changes in behavior or symptoms. I am so tired of watching him not be able to enjoy life and do the other things that teenagers do. I would appreciate any helpful hints or suggestions that anyone has.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You are wonderful! new
      #29042 - 11/26/03 05:32 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

What a touching situation. Pat yourself on the back for taking all those steps. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you, of all people, didn't understand what your son was going through? Together, you will get teachers on your side (with minimal embarrassment for your son, I hope). As a teenager, your son has enough going on. Where most teenagers are trying to establish a personal identity, your son is dealing with obstacles. I can truly empathisize with your son. Think postitively! Hey - he's doing slightly better. Think of it as a milestone, and go from there! Most people on this site, I think will give better advice than I can, as I've also only recently begun actively dealing with IBS. But I think that if your son is encouraged positively, all will fall into place. I find that stress only makes my body less receptive to food I eat. Break the cycle. Your son should have fun! And school should be about learning, not worry. If he's to catch up in studies and continue learning, it is going to have to be a positive experience, otherwise, it won't be helpful to him. Sometimes, having IBS means having to be creative. Does your son get his assignments to take home when he's ill? You could probably make special arrangements with the teachers so that your son can keep up and enjoy it! And when he feels slightly better, by all means, he should celebrate. He should get outside and/or exercise! Does he have a favorite hobby he can turn to,or a favorite subject in school? The condition is only debilitating if you let it! Well, as I said, there's a lot more advice that can be given, but I just want to make sure you know what a wonderful mother you are. Don't stress! You need to remain healthy and happy through this, too! You'll get at least some needed support here. Good luck, and keep posting!

*evie

Re: Teenage IBS -- Help new
      #29051 - 11/26/03 07:34 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Corysmom: Welcome to the board. It will take a few months for him to fully feel the effects of Heather's diet. It took some time for me to lose all the symptoms, now I only have an episode when I eat something wrong. Even then it only lasts a day, I can get back on track easily. The hard part for a teenager will be not to stray. Even one meal can ruin what progress he's made if he's not stable yet. Also have him start taking Calcium Caltrate 600+D, it firms up the stools. I take 2 generic form pills a day.

Advocate new
      #29052 - 11/26/03 07:52 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Corysmom,
You are probably going to have to be the strong voice of advocacy for your son at this point in time. Your school should offer support for home study while he is dealing with this physical ailment. If he could study from home he could catch up quickly and stay on track for this school year, and then maybe rejoin his classmates next year when his physical symptoms are more under control. Being able to study from home eliminates all the obstacles that are presently making him be 9 weeks behind in his studies. Your school should provide this--this is a service available at all public schools. However, you may have to push for it. You may have to be in the principal's office, the vice principal's office, the school counselor's office, the school nurse's office, all the teacher's classrooms, talking, talking, talking to each one privately, bringing printed material, bringing material from his doctor, etc., etc., etc. until they get the point and accomodate your son. He needs you to do this for him at this point in time. It's really too embarrassing a situation for a teen to be able to work this all out himself. He needs an advocate. You can do this. You love him like no other person on earth.

#29056 - 11/26/03 08:04 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Maybe he could go to school as he symptoms lessons, but be given special (medical) permission to go to the bathroom WHENEVER he needs to.

Also, you can petition the school bored to let him retake tests (he said he failed last nine weeks) b/c he has a documented medical condition.

Also, go in each semester, explain his situation to his teachers, and give them some literature to read. I am sure that with a little knowlege, they will be more understanding.

I really feel for your son. He is lucky to have such a caring, concerned, GOOD mother! You guys will get through this... please keep us updated.

Is the fiber helping him?

It takes 2 wees for the GI tract to rebuild healthy tissue and cells. If your son stays away from triggers (fat, dairy, caffine, etc) for 2 wks and limits insoluble fibers (though not eliminating -- eating a small amount after eating soluble fibers), I think you will see good results.

As always, I recommend pro-biotics (Jaro-Dophilus EPS is less expenseive and works).

*Mazel!*

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Advocate new
      #29061 - 11/26/03 08:23 AM
tholley

Reged: 11/10/03

I totally understand how you are feeling as my daughter has been dealing with this for over a year now. Ihave talked to all her teachers and they have been understanding but need to be reminded on an ongoing basis as to what she is dealing with. She dropped a couple of courses last year because of being absent and getting behinde. However this year finds these courses less challenging as she is repeating them also if she misses it is easier to keep up with material that is repeated. She finds it hard to do homework when she is not feeling well as she is in pain and very tired. Our goal is just to keep her healthy and going to school and if it takes her longer to complete her high school then she can always upgrade after she is done grade 12.She has been following the diet eating mostly just the breaking the cycle foods and slowly now adding chicken, fish,fruits and veggies slowly. Good luck and always believe in him,support him and encourage him.

#29069 - 11/26/03 08:47 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Corysmom, I don't know what other advice to give you, since it looks like you've gotten some great suggestions already! I agree that you may need to wait a little bit longer, though. When our bodies get into that IBS funk it often takes a while to get back to normal, even when following Heather's diet. I just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you and your son, and I hope he's able to return to school soon! Keep a positive attidude, because that's probably the best thing you can do right now!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#29179 - 11/26/03 01:22 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hey and welcome to the boards! I am also 15 and I have IBS-D like your son. I have to take Imodium every morning in order to attend classes and become seemingly normal. I take a cooking class and I can't ever eat anything we cook so everyone in that class thinks that I'm just allergic to everything lol. Well, the Imodium basically freezes all of your excretory system so if he takes it, he shouldn't feel much (if any) pain and, if you use the pills and not the liquid, he can still go every night around 9. The liquid Imodium makes me not go at all for a day and a half! My doctor says that it's fine to take Imodium every morning as long as I don't take it on the weekends so that my system can function normally for a few days. Also, I am very proud of you for being so supposrtive! My mom tends to snap at me when I have to reject something because of the ingredients. She always says that a little won't hurt, when sometimes it does! So keep it up and I hope this advice helps!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Advocate new
      #29332 - 11/28/03 04:23 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I'm 18 years old and have graduated grade 12 but have decided to return this year to take 2 more courses that i wanted. I also have IBS-D and i know how it feels to be afraid to go to school. My symptoms aren't as serious because i've been on this diet for awhile but i still often have attacks. Usually if i have problems with my stomach (eg.diarrhea) it's usually in the morning unless i eat something wrong in the middle of the day. To still be able to make it to school i always get up 2 hours early which leaves time to sit in the bathroom for awhile if needed and if i have problems then gives a bit of time for the immodium to take effect. Also on days that i have tests or something that is stressful i'll take the immodium just to be safe. That's too bad that the teachers aren't being fully supportive, my advice is just to keep trying and talking to them. If it takes him an extra year to finish highschool then maybe thats what needs to happen. To reduce my stress levels in grade 12 i didn't take a full course load because if i was constantly having attacks from the stress then i wouldn't being getting much work done anyways. It was definitely worth coming back for one more year. Life shouldn't have to be rushed. Hopefully he starts to feel better soon and he's not alone!

#29343 - 11/28/03 08:55 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome, Mom. It's so difficult to imagine a teenager going through this. As a teacher, I can totally sympathize with the need to go to the bathroom and not be allowed to go. I simply stopped eating at one point. Here's a few suggestions to get the teachers on board.
If your school allows it and your teachers are comfortable with it, try to get in contact with all of Cory's teachers. We used to have "round table" meetings where every teacher, the parent, the student (optional) the VP, and anyone else applicable would sit down for a brief meeting. If you could get medical documentation from your Doc, you could present it and explain that your child needs to be allowed free and DISCREET access to the washroom and maybe even come up with a nonverbal signal (so that they don't have to ANNOUNCE going to the bathroom). Give them assurance that your child will not abuse this situation - that it is an embarassing but genuine problem.
Next, you need to get Cory stabilized. Make sure breakfast is VERY safe - almost all soluble fiber. This will help start off the day. I would also recommend peppermint tea for the stomach aches, and as well, Heather's peppermint caps for taking at school - again, more discreet than sitting down with a cup of tea.
Ginger tea is also helpful for nausea. It may help him feel better.
I would focus on the Christmas break ( because it's a good chunk of time) having Cory get used to what is safe and what isn't. Eventually, Cory will be able to feel better and know what not to eat to avoid attacks. Has HE visited this website? Does he know the dietary guidelines? It's crucial that he understands so he can make better choices.
I'm so sorry for your son's troubles - and for your pain too, as I know as a Mom, it's horrible when your kids are hurting.
Please post again and let us know how he's doing.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2890 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review