All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acid Indigestion, Reflux .... I need suggestions
      #290271 - 11/16/06 10:59 AM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

I'm still new and am still trying to stabilize. I suppose if I had more willpower and stayed motivated that would help. Unfortunately I fall prey to the temptations of food at every turn. Be that as it may.... right now I am experiencing horrible acid indigestion even tho I take a protonix and probiotic everyday. I am also using Acacia and having the fennel tea everyday. Any other suggestions besides having my mouth sewn shut so as to keep the temptations out???

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acid Indigestion, Reflux .... I need suggestions new
      #290293 - 11/16/06 02:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

which protonix are you taking? prilosec? do you take any peppermint supplements or drink peppermint tea?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Acid Indigestion, Reflux .... I need suggestions new
      #290295 - 11/16/06 02:52 PM
genematas

Reged: 11/16/06

I have been having bad acid reflux as well. A recent endoscopy procedure let me know I have inflammation in the esophagus. If not treated, my doctor told me it could lead to errosions within my esophagus. He recommended a prescription drug called Aciphex. I haven't tried it yet, as I would like to see if a change in my diet would help first. Here is what he recommended to manage symptoms of "GERD"/acid reflux:

*Quit smoking
*Avoid foods that promote reflux - Caffeine in coffee & tea, chocolate, alcohol and peppermint, fatty foods.
*Avoid late meals
*Weight loss
*Raising the head of your bed 6"-8"
*Avoid wearing tight fitting garments - can raise stomach pressure forcing stomach contents into esophagus
*Eat smaller meals
*Review your medications

#290352 - 11/17/06 07:18 AM
DivineDivaD

I'm not doing the peppermint supplements or the tea because I was told even tho they settle your tummy - they might give you heartburn. The protonix is prescription so I don't know if its prilosec.

--------------------

#290358 - 11/17/06 07:28 AM
DivineDivaD

Fortunately I dont smoke.
I have given up caffiene, I do indulge in some dark choc occassionally.
For the last week or so I have been very focused on cutting fats out.
My clothes are not tight.
I dont take any medications except the protonix...
so I guess I have to be more diligent in the smaller meals dept and lose some more weight.
Also I guess I have more trial and error as far as what foods to eat I'm sure. I'm still thrown by being able to eat white bread and I love white rice, but I wonder if its constipating me more.

--------------------

#290378 - 11/17/06 09:17 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'm IBS-C with acid reflux -- which is a totally sucky combo! The AR was diagnosed first -- I was on omeprazole (Prilosec) for a while, which helped and then didn't, and then did about a six-month course of Aciphex, which made a huge difference. I've downgraded back to Prilosec and am maintaining, for now. If you're on prescips, call your doc and tell them what you're using isn't working. Sometimes they'll do a different scrip over the phone.

I don't know how it is for anyone else, but having one part of this GI system under control really helps.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#290400 - 11/17/06 11:05 AM
DivineDivaD

Thank you. I actually have a follow up appt with him Tuesday so I'll be OK till then. Having the AR reminds me NOT to eat too much at once sitting and NOT to eat foods I shouldn't. But you are right the combo IBS-C w/AR really does stink - big time. I guess I just really need to get my act together in the menu, exercise and losing weight dept. All will help - its just so hard to do those things while your trying to have a life. If you know what I mean. Have a great weekend!

--------------------

#290410 - 11/17/06 12:58 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Totally know what you mean -- especially since my social life apparently revolves around food and drink. It's still do-able, though not so much the drinking alcohol, but requires so much more thought and effort.

On the downside, I finally committed to trying the whole EFI diet out of desperation -- and then I cleared my kitchen of things I shouldn't even try to have right now and things I know are triggers. That might be harder with a family, but it helped me not to have the cheese around.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#290701 - 11/20/06 09:25 AM
sualeksa

Reged: 11/02/06

If your doctor recommends Aciphex, you might try Prilose OTC. I was taking Aciphex, and it is VERY $$, the pharmacist told me Prilosec is very close in formula, and it works for me.
I also tried all the things you listed, and the biggest help is not eating after 6:00PM.

#290711 - 11/20/06 10:23 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

IF you have prescription drug coverage, the generic form of Prilosec is way cheaper than the OTC version. Omeprazole is the Prilosec generic.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2078

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review