Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint caps and GERD..Linz
      #29027 - 11/25/03 10:33 PM
kickyfast2

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Hey Linz,
Any new developments on the enteric peppermint caps and the heartburn? I'd really like to try these caps, and am on Ranitidine atm for the reflux. Thanks in advance!

-Anne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint caps and GERD..Linz new
      #29058 - 11/26/03 08:16 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I, too, have GERD and found I couldn't use Peppermint because it upset my stomach so much. I ordered the enteric coated peppermint from Heather and discovered a couple of things about it. My daughter is a nurse and tells me there are two types of enteric coating. One absolutely will not digest in your stomach at all and the other has a really thick coating which eventually will dissolve in your stomach if it's in there a long time. I think Heather's enteric coated peppermint is this second kind because I have found that if I take it with a large meal and it is stuck in my stomach for a long time while all of that food is digesting, I eventually will be tasting peppermint (meaning it is backing up into my esophagus). On the other hand, if I take it on an empty stomach I usually don't end up tasting peppermint because it moves out of my stomach before it can digest. Occasionally, however, if I take it on an empty stomach BUT right before going to bed I will still taste peppermint in the night--you know how GERD works when we lay down.

#29219 - 11/26/03 07:16 PM
kickyfast2

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Any way we can pinpoint the ingredients in the first type of coating and perhaps do a bit of research to find which brands use which type of coating?

-Anne

#29228 - 11/26/03 08:58 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Just wondering aren't the pep caps used between meals?
Also I have a some relfux not full blown gerds, how is cinnamon for reflux, anyone have any problems with that spice?

#29233 - 11/27/03 04:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there, sorry I was slow getting back to you.

I've stopped taking the peppermints capsules atm as an extra problem was too much to cope. I found that I could only take a peppermint capsule before breakfast (so on an empty stomach) and then I HAD to have breakfast afterwards. If I did anything different, then I would be burping peppermint and it would trigger my reflux.

God knows why this happened. It can't be the time in the stomach, because I was better if I had it on an empty stomach, but with food straight afterwards?! Plus, I think my tablets are supposed to be properly enteric.

I'm giving up on this. I've worked so hard to get my GERDS under control and this was sending me back to square one. Without the peppermint, I've even managed to reduce my Lansoprazole dosage.

Linz

#29370 - 11/29/03 11:18 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I have found that it can be helpful for reducing the gas and bloating that build up (for me) during the night if I take one right before going to bed, on an empty stomach. I was glad it worked, because I, too, had had to eliminate the peppermint completely due to the GERD. This is the only way I can take it and have it help me, though. As someone else suggested, it needs the better enteric coating.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review