All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
About To Give It All Up
      #290121 - 11/14/06 07:52 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm sick and tired of this.
I deprive myself of my favorite foods, milk, dairy, pizza, fries, and for what?

To go through a cycle of feeling good, feeling average, feeling like garbage irregardless of what I ingest in my body.

I've dieted.
Here's my diet.

I workout at the gym.

I take Benefiber, I even switched to the generic brand once Benefiber changed ingredients.
I take Acidophillus.
I take Glutamine.
I take Miralax.
I tried Lorazapam.
I tried Rifaxmin.

I have aspergers.
I need medication to help with anxiety, yet it seems EVERYONE I take gives me the same reaction as McDonalds would:
Trapped Gas, Bloating, C, and D.

I was feeling less anxious on Luvox.
So I went up to 100mg from 50mg.
All of the sudden in the last month I begin having more trapped gas, bloating, c, and d.

So it seems hopeless.
I try everything the doctor's and book say.

I try dieting.
I try supplements.
I try lifestyle changes and medications.

Nothing consistantly works, and I've been trying this for 1.5 years.

I can tolerate NOT eating foods I want.
I can tolerate limiting myself socially by not partying, drinking, and having to embarass myself asking when eating out to have ingedients skipped.
I can tolerate the time consuming nature of dieting, making extra meals, no fast food when I need quick meals, researching ingredients.
I can....WHEN I get results.

But if all this is going to do is give me MIXED results, nothing substanial, consistent, just a tease.
If when I try and treat myself for mental health problems, this is what I get:
Trapped gas, bloating, c, and d.
Then why bother?
Why should I be denied McDonald's?

It's obviously not working and it obviously is not food related.

Dr.s keep telling me it's not food related, that I bacterial overgrowth.
Alright, so I take Rifaxmin, Miralax, NOTHING.
I take acidophillus.
NOTHING.

I take SSRI's to help reduce anxiety, since I have strees, NOTHING.

Why the heck can't they help allieve something as concreate as BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH?
Why should we go to these measures and time consuming extent for crummy results?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: About To Give It All Up new
      #290123 - 11/14/06 08:04 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've seen your struggles through your posts online for a while now, and it's heartbreaking. I hope you don't give up on doctors or a diagnosis. There could be more to your symptoms than you think.

I also hope you don't give up on the diet, but on the other hand it's understandable.

I was wondering if you have considered trying the hypno tapes? If anything it might help with the frustration you are feeling, and might help you get your thoughts back to a more positive approach of trying to get better.

I hope something positive comes your way soon,

--------------------
Kat

#290124 - 11/14/06 08:45 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

If I had tried all this without results I most likely would be like you "what the heck"....Maybe this isn't for you, not everyone has the desired results. I sure hope you find something to give you some relief soon. Good luck.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#290132 - 11/15/06 05:57 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i second the hypno tapes, as well as trying digestive enzymes, ones with plant and animal enzymes in them, that was one supplement i didn't see on your list, they can make a huge difference. The GNC multi enzymes seem to do well for a lot of people here. Also you can try Traditional chinese medicine. i had good results with herbs mixed by my DTCM, they were specific to me and they helped tremendously with gas, bloating and the reflux i used to deal with.
Good luck.

#290151 - 11/15/06 07:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I know, I know. I have the same thoughts...honestly.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#290156 - 11/15/06 07:51 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I completely understand your frustration; I think we've all been there. Some people here have said that it CAN take up to a year or longer to stabilize. I know that's not ideal, but please hang in there.

I "third" the suggestion of the hypno CDs; they have made a huge difference for me. It's definitely an up and down process - you'll feel better, then might relapse a bit, then feel better, etc. But in the end, I think you'll be happier!

If you have bacteria OVERgrowth, is it a good idea to take probiotics? I'm curious what affect the acidophilus has on this?

Also, have you tried acacia? All those regular SFS (benefiber, citrucel, fibercon, etc) always made me feel worse and gave me horrible gas and bloating. The acacia is the only one that has significantly reduced these symptoms for me. And I had to start VERY small (1/8 teaspoon twice daily) and increase my dose VERY slowly! My body can't handle increases of more than 1/8 teaspoon over several days. Perhaps you should give this a try?

I do hope you see some relief soon. I really think the hypno and the acacia would be good ideas to try! Miso's suggestion of digestive enzymes is a good one, too; I think those help a lot. I've also found that the less I eat at each meal, the better I feel. Making dinner my smallest meal seems to especially help.

Good luck! Hang in there!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#290234 - 11/15/06 09:16 PM
Naturapanic

Thank you all so much for responding.

Tonight I oredered Thai food, asked for limited oil.
No help, two hours later I had a ridicolous amount of gas.

The Dr.'s have told me repeatedly my thing is not food related, and that food only exasberates everything.

I have tried, and still need for other reasons CBT.

I think it is time to stop dwelling on food and
1) Hypno
2) Switch to Acadia
3) Digestive enzyme

What about
1) Acupuncture
2) Dr.
3) Zelnorm?
4) VSL?

Should I drop Acidphillus and go to VSL or drop it altogether?

Thanks guys for offering suggestions and acknowledging this ain't working.
It's been well over a year.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290235 - 11/15/06 09:22 PM
Naturapanic

If you really recommend Acadia, I can order it now.
If you really believe Digestive Enzyme will help, the same can be done.

I have to talk the Hypno tapes over with my CBT first, but that also can be arranged.

Considering I have a ton of gas ALL the time which friends complain about, would the digestive enzyme truelly help?
Zelnorm?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290237 - 11/15/06 10:48 PM
Meliss

Reged: 11/14/06

I don't think anyone can truly understand what each individual goes through with IBS (C,D,A) since for everyone it's a different beast. But I do understand the frustration and am experiencing it as we speak. I've been struggling with it for years now and it still confounds me. I suffer from anxiety and depression and firmly believe that my bad bouts go hand and hand with these issues. What I want you to know is this is ALL so frustrating, every little bit. Right now I'm going through the worst bout I've ever experienced - I've got C,D,A,V (for vomit) - the works. It's been non-stop for over a month and it just seems easier not to eat at all. I follow the IBS diet and try to adhere as closely as humanly possible to all the literature but nothing seems to work and I too am hitting my breaking point. I've done yoga, accupuncture, seen countless GI dr.s. Honestly, walking around with an iv for nutrition and just giving up the whole "eating thing" sounds tempting (except I love food ). So I just want you to know there lots of us out there. Does that really make your quality of life any better? Not necessarily, but maybe it will take away the loneliness that you might feel. I know I do often. In terms of the probiotic you take, there have been recent studies that show that it's best to take acidophilis WITH bifidus. Just acidophilis is not as effective. I'm hungry and desperate and I know the feeling of wanting to give it all up. You're not alone, Naturapanic. Let's hope we'll both get through this - my mother says bad situations are character building (though I think I'm pretty character filled already!).
All the best and I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Melissa
IBS-D (generally, but these anything and everything goes...literally)

#290238 - 11/16/06 05:15 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I can sympathize with you. Join the club but I think you are taking too many things at once. You sound totally stressed and the anti anxiety meds arent working. Try to wean of the miralax unless you are extremely constipated. Your on the Benefiber as well? Too much. Also try peppermint caps or tea for the gas and bloating. Get something natural in there. Too many chemicals. Take a breath and have some friends over, have a good time. Relax. I hope things work out for you. I can understand. Good Luck.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2886 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 33276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review