All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Reason why MSG affects digestion?
      #289822 - 11/12/06 03:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been looking up stuff on MSG and IBS and found some interesting facts.

MSG reduces taurine levels. Taurine is an amino acid which helps digestion of fats.
"Taurine, although versatile enough, is used to make bile. Bile is what breaks apart large fat globules so that they can be more easily digested. Bile is made by the liver and stored in the gall bladder. Many MSG sufferers who have had to have their gall bladders taken out, often complain of gall bladder attack symptoms after eating meals containing MSG."
Can read here: web page
Another article on taurine: web page

Fish and meat contain higher levels of taurine. This could explain why some meals with MSG seem ok and cause no symptoms. I've noticed when I cook fish at home with a sauce that contains MSG and a meal that is low in fat, I have no problems. However when I get a soup or something else that has MSG I get stomach cramps.

Taurine also regulates the heart beat, and noticeable symptoms of MSG include racing heart.

Alright, this information doesn't really help us much, but I was just not the type to avoid certain things and not understand why.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is way cool - and it is interesting to understand the mechanism. Thanks, K2. -nt- new
      #289828 - 11/12/06 03:57 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Reason why MSG affects digestion? new
      #289829 - 11/12/06 03:58 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

MSG is the sodium salt of the amino acid L-Glutamic acid (glutamate). It is one of 20 essential amino acids. By essential, it means that our bodies cannot make those so we must get them in the food we eat. This does not mean we need it in large quantities.

Glutamate acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain and in the gut. When you get more than normal amounts of glutamate by eating things seasoned with it, your gut reacts. Some people are more sensitive than others. Those people get many types of reactions headaches/migranes, tunnel vision, racing heart and gut reactions include diahrrea.

I had MSG reactions at least 20 years before losing my gall bladder.

We can learn much about MSG on the internet that was hard to find before.

Germanicus

Small correction new
      #289835 - 11/12/06 04:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Glutamine is a non-essental amino acid produce by muscles. Your body produces all you need.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

thanks for posting this Kat n/t new
      #289837 - 11/12/06 05:26 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

RE: Re: Small correction new
      #289840 - 11/12/06 07:50 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

Please do not be offended but
There are 2 amino acids with close names:
L-glutamine
and
L-glutamic acid
They are not the same amino acid and have different chemical structures

Glutamine is a metabolite of glutamic acid and that does occur in muscle, but it is also supplied by proteins in our diet.
G

L-Glutamic acid new
      #289842 - 11/12/06 07:58 PM
Syl

Glutamic acid also referred to as glutamate (the anion), is one of the 20 proteinogenic amino acids. It is not among the essential amino acids.

Glutamate (glutamic acid) is synethisized from glutamine in the following pathway.

glutamine + water + enzymes (GL1, GL2) => glutamate + amonia

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: L-Glutamic acid new
      #289844 - 11/12/06 08:01 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The purpose of my post on MSG was not about whether or not it is an essential amino acid.

I was merely trying to give an explanation of why MSG might affect our digestive systems.

--------------------
Kat

Interesting explanation new
      #289846 - 11/12/06 08:16 PM
Syl

I thought you explanation was interesting. I had not heard about it before. It had not crossed my mind that there could be a relationship between taurine and MSG. It gave me something new to think about. Thanks.

--------------------

A bit more information ... new
      #289849 - 11/12/06 09:03 PM
Syl

A group of researchers at the University of Guelph gave MSG as a source of glutamate to seven healthy men while they were resting and exercising. They monitored the levels of a number of amino acids in their blood. They were interested in taurine because very little is known about the relationship between it and glutamate. They found that taurine levels increased during rest after ingesting MSG and they increased to even a greater extent when the subjects exercised.

It looks like there is an interesting relationship between MSG and taurine. I am not sure how this fits into your idea - perhaps you have some thoughts.

Reference
Mourtzakis, M. and T. E. Graham, 2002: Glutamate ingestion and its effects at rest and during exercise in humans. J Appl Physiol, 93, 1251-1259.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review