All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
safe sore throat remedy??
      #289771 - 11/11/06 07:51 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

This afternoon I seem to have come down with a cold. My throat is killing me from the post nasal drip, but I'm hesitant to use a lozenge. I have Halls cough drops, Cepacol sore throat lozenges, and Chloraseptic spray. All 3 have menthol, which I'm thinking may be a trigger, and Chloraseptic also has artificial sweetener. I tried gargling with salt water, but that really didn't help.

I can take Sudafed PE (no pseudoephedrine! ) for the congestion, but I don't know what else to try for the sore throat. Any ideas?? I'm desperate for a good, safe remedy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe sore throat remedy?? new
      #289772 - 11/11/06 08:10 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Gargling with warm salt water should be okay.
Look for an herbal tea with slippery elm bark as one of the ingredients - it's an effective remedy for a sore throat. Licorice root can also be helpful, but be careful with that, as it can act as a mild laxative.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#289773 - 11/11/06 09:01 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you can try my moms remedy which is called honeyjuice
its hot water, lemon juice and honey, you have to use lots of lemon juice and keep the water hot, it tastes good and kinda burns, but then feels really good. Also i buy lozenges at my health food stire that are sweetened with rice syrope instead of all the fake junk that work great. Also propolis and honey lozenges are good.

#289774 - 11/11/06 09:03 PM
Julie E

Thank you for your response, Carol! I just sent my husband to the store to get some non-menthol lozenges (just discovered them, but I'm afraid they will be more like candy than a soother...) and some tea with slippery elm bark. The only tea he could find also had licorice. Since I'm IBS-D, I think I'll avoid that... otherwise I might as well use the menthol... Tomorrow I'll see about going to Wild Oats and looking for slippery elm lozenges. Thanks so much for the idea.

Thanks, Miso! I thought we weren't supposed to have much honey. I looked back in the EFI book, and it doesn't say that. I'm not sure where I got that idea... maybe someone here mentioned it. Should I eat SF with this drink, or is it safe alone? About how much lemon juice & honey would you use in a normal coffee mug of water? Thanks again!!

#289776 - 11/11/06 09:13 PM
Julie E

Eddie (husband) just got back from the store, and he also found some Cepacol Sore Throat + Coating Relief lozenges. They have benzocaine (anesthetic) and pectin (demulcent)... no menthol. Here's hoping they will help and not cause D...

#289792 - 11/12/06 08:00 AM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

I usually just take aleve or advil or something when I have a sore throat. But for a really dry/itchy throat, I find that the only remedy that works for me other than carbonated beverages (which are of course not friendly to IBS) is to inhale steam from a vaporizer. I have a Vicks vaporizer. I just set it up according to the directions and when it starts steaming, I put a towel over my head and put my head over the vaporizer to get some good steam!

Personally I have never found cough drops to be particularly troublesome for my tummy, but I try to avoid them because my tooth enamel is apparently not very strong.

#289802 - 11/12/06 09:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Thanks, Miso! I thought we weren't supposed to have much honey. I looked back in the EFI book, and it doesn't say that. I'm not sure where I got that idea... maybe someone here mentioned it. Should I eat SF with this drink, or is it safe alone? About how much lemon juice & honey would you use in a normal coffee mug of water? Thanks again!!

Honey is high in fructose so that's why some people are saying to avoid it.

Here's what Heather says about fructose:
Quote:

Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar). Honey contains fairly high amounts of fructose. Fruit juices, particularly apple and grape juice, are often sky high in fructose and even more problematic than whole fresh fruit. It's simply much easier and faster to drink a large glass of juice (and ingest a great deal of fructose) than to eat an equivalent amount of whole fruit. So treat juices as you would insoluble fiber and drink them carefully, with soluble fiber foods.

The problems arise if you consume too much fructose and what is "too much" varies from person to person. I use honey in my morning tea every day (an overflowing tableware teaspoon) and have never had a problem with it. Honey, lemon, and hot water is also my go-to sore throat remedy. I use the same generous spoon of honey as in my morning tea, the juice from a 1/8-1/4 of a lemon, and fill the mug up with boiling water. I sip it as hot as I can stand it. (Pre-IBS I would also throw a little bourbon in the one I sipped right before bed. Better than Nyquil. )

HTH. Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#289810 - 11/12/06 12:31 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Menthol is a component of peppermint oil; doesn't seem like that would be the problem. I'd be more inclined to blame another ingredient.

http://www.answers.com/topic/peppermint

I would want to take advantage of the soothing properties of the menthol if my throat was sore, so if I could, I'd go for a cup of peppermint tea, which I already have plenty of on hand anyway. I can't recommend a specific brand, but I'd try the health food store to see if they had a lozenge that would agree with me.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#291110 - 11/24/06 12:55 PM
Nicoblu

Reged: 12/28/05
Loc: Lafayette, LA

I always start on Olive Leaf Extract products when i feel a cold coming on. For my throat irritation I use: Olive Leaf Throat Spray

For my sinuses I use Olive Leaf Nasal Spray

IN addition to these two I use Olive Leaf capsules... Olive Leaf Extract--capsules

"USES:
Olive leaf Extract is a natural antimicrobial that has been used for dietary support in controlling many viruses, fungi, bacteria, and even some parasites. This product is doctor-recommended. However, as the manufacturer, Seagate is not permitted by FDA to make specific medical claims for this product regarding its ability to kill off microorganisms that cause specific disease. Therefore we recommend that you read the article by Dr. Morton Walker M.D. published in the Townsend Letter describing Seagate's Olive Leaf Extract with specific case studies. Click HERE to download the PDF version of the article. "

#291140 - 11/24/06 04:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I like Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea. Its great! I also use Ricolas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9085 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review