All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I could handle running to bathroom but the gas? Going to a dinner party.
      #289277 - 11/07/06 04:06 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

What am I suppose to do? Im going to a dinner party with 5 other couples. I dont mind having to relieve myself of D but until that happens, I will have gurgly gas whick is embarassing. Anything to prep with besides the usual probiotic?? Help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I could handle running to bathroom but the gas? Going to a dinner party. new
      #289285 - 11/07/06 04:48 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

When I have something like your going to I take Lorazapam to calm me down. Just thinking about having gas seems to make me have gas...dumb. Stress is the biggest thing to get my tummy growling and passing gas. The med helps me remain calm and of course I'm very careful what I put in my stomach. The night before and during the day I eat very light, take beano before eating also. Watch the drinks, wine or beer does give me gas. Good luck.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Edited by franny (11/07/06 04:51 PM)

Re: I could handle running to bathroom but the gas? Going to a dinner party. new
      #289304 - 11/07/06 06:28 PM
Joannelcoq

How do you not have a glass of wine with dinner. What is the main ingredient in Beano??

Attitude new
      #289306 - 11/07/06 06:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It sounds like your attitude is working against you. Think positively & act positively. Follow the diet. Stick to non-alcoholic, non-fizzy beverages. Avoid dairy & other triggers such as high fat foods. Exercise common sense. Visualize a positive outcome. Fennel tea is wonderful for gas. Beano helps with food related gas. Expect the worst and you will fulfill that prophecy.

Kate, IBS-D.

#289312 - 11/07/06 07:40 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I found myself in a somewhat similar situation a few weeks ago.
Digestive enzymes or a peppermint capsule (taken an hour before eating) can help prevent gas.
Eat as safely as you can. Most importantly, try to relax and concentrate on having a good time with friends, not worrying about your tummy.
After the meal, when everyone else is having coffee, order some mint tea to calm your stomach. Bring your own bag of peppermint or fennel along, too, though. That way, if the place doesn't have mint, you can just order hot water and use your own stuff.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Re: Attitude new
      #289329 - 11/08/06 04:57 AM
Joannelcoq

Thank you. I always use to have a great time at a party. I was actually half the life in parties with my family. What is the main ingred. in Beano??

Beano new
      #289331 - 11/08/06 05:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The active ingredient in Beano is the enzyme alpha-galactosidase.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Attitude new
      #289464 - 11/09/06 08:57 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

TOTALLY. This is where the hypno (and my therapist) have REALLY helped me. It didn't matter what I ate at restaurants, I'd always end up with horrible abdominal pain and gas/bloating. As you're on your way to the restaurant, tell yourself that you will be fine; that you know what you can and can't eat; and that you will keep yourself "safe" by not eating anything "bad". I always make sure I have something safe in my stomach before even leaving the house; I never go to a restaurant hungry!

Sorry, but I also recommend skipping the glass of wine!

Have fun!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review